how to disable acpi on bootup - BSD

This is a discussion on how to disable acpi on bootup - BSD ; Hi, I've been running FreeBSD 6.2 on my Compaq V3015CA for about 2 months now, but I have to press option 2 on bootup to disable acpi support or else my laptop hangs. Sometimes when I bootup and step away ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: how to disable acpi on bootup

  1. how to disable acpi on bootup

    Hi, I've been running FreeBSD 6.2 on my Compaq V3015CA for about 2
    months now, but I have to press option 2 on bootup to disable acpi
    support or else my laptop hangs. Sometimes when I bootup and step away
    from my laptop and miss the boot selection I have to shut it down and
    reload the laptop again..etc, gets annoying...

    I've tried editing the /boot/loader.conf and added unset acpi_load
    which didn't help, and then I tried adding acpi.0.disabled="1" to /
    boot/device.hints and that didn't help either.

    Any other tips on how I can either set the autoload menu to 2, or
    somehow disable the loading of the acpi so it'll load disabled ?

    Thanks

    Wayne


  2. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:25:15 UTC, mtlguardian
    wrote:

    > I've tried editing the /boot/loader.conf and added unset acpi_load
    > which didn't help, and then I tried adding acpi.0.disabled="1" to /
    > boot/device.hints and that didn't help either.


    Put hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..
    http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


  3. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    mtlguardian wrote:

    > [disable acpi]
    > Any other tips on how I can either set the autoload menu to 2, or
    > somehow disable the loading of the acpi so it'll load disabled ?


    Just take a look at /boot/beastie.4th and see what it does when
    you're choosing to disable ACPI.


    Martin

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.
    Do all that you know, and try all that you don't;
    Not a chance must be wasted to-day!"

  4. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    On Oct 1, 2:29 am, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:25:15 UTC, mtlguardian
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I've tried editing the /boot/loader.conf and added unset acpi_load
    > > which didn't help, and then I tried adding acpi.0.disabled="1" to /
    > > boot/device.hints and that didn't help either.

    >
    > Put hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf.
    >
    > --
    > Bob Eager
    > UNIX since v6..http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


    I tried putting acpi.0.disabled="1" in the loader.conf and rebooted
    the system, but nothing changed, when I let FreeBSD load to the
    default my system hangs right after the ad4.

    I also took a look at the /boot/beastie.4th, I'll figure out what I
    can change in there.

    Thanks


  5. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:15:46 UTC, mtlguardian
    wrote:

    > On Oct 1, 2:29 am, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    > > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:25:15 UTC, mtlguardian
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I've tried editing the /boot/loader.conf and added unset acpi_load
    > > > which didn't help, and then I tried adding acpi.0.disabled="1" to /
    > > > boot/device.hints and that didn't help either.

    > >
    > > Put hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf.
    > >

    > I tried putting acpi.0.disabled="1" in the loader.conf and rebooted
    > the system, but nothing changed, when I let FreeBSD load to the
    > default my system hangs right after the ad4.


    Now read what I wrote!

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..
    http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


  6. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    Bob Eager wrote:

    [snip]
    >> >
    >> > Put hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf.
    >> >

    >> I tried putting acpi.0.disabled="1" in the loader.conf and rebooted
    >> the system, but nothing changed, when I let FreeBSD load to the
    >> default my system hangs right after the ad4.

    >
    > Now read what I wrote!
    >


    I haven't had problems myself, but most of the docs I've read say to put it
    in /boot/device.hints

    -Jason


  7. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    On Oct 1, 11:50 am, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:15:46 UTC, mtlguardian
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Oct 1, 2:29 am, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    > > > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 00:25:15 UTC, mtlguardian
    > > > wrote:

    >
    > > > > I've tried editing the /boot/loader.conf and added unset acpi_load
    > > > > which didn't help, and then I tried adding acpi.0.disabled="1" to /
    > > > > boot/device.hints and that didn't help either.

    >
    > > > Put hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf.

    >
    > > I tried putting acpi.0.disabled="1" in the loader.conf and rebooted
    > > the system, but nothing changed, when I let FreeBSD load to the
    > > default my system hangs right after the ad4.

    >
    > Now read what I wrote!
    >
    > --
    > Bob Eager
    > UNIX since v6..http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


    I missed the hint in the acpi.0.disabled="1". Anyhow I added it to the
    boot/loader.conf and it works like a charm. Thanks


  8. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 18:07:58 UTC, Jason Bourne
    wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    > >> >
    > >> > Put hint.acpi.0.disabled="1" in loader.conf.
    > >> >
    > >> I tried putting acpi.0.disabled="1" in the loader.conf and rebooted
    > >> the system, but nothing changed, when I let FreeBSD load to the
    > >> default my system hangs right after the ad4.

    > >
    > > Now read what I wrote!
    > >

    >
    > I haven't had problems myself, but most of the docs I've read say to put it
    > in /boot/device.hints


    man acpi says it's a loader tunable!

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..
    http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h


  9. Re: how to disable acpi on bootup

    Bob Eager wrote:

    [snip]
    >>
    >> I haven't had problems myself, but most of the docs I've read say to put
    >> it in /boot/device.hints

    >
    > man acpi says it's a loader tunable!
    >


    Yup - you're right! I think the docs and other RTFM materials I've read are
    getting old and out of date. The man page is definitely better than what
    I've read previously.

    -Jason



+ Reply to Thread