BOOTP Whacks up Kernel Buils - BSD

This is a discussion on BOOTP Whacks up Kernel Buils - BSD ; I'm trying to rebuild my 6.2-STABLE kernel to handle some diskless workstations and I need BOOTP, BOOTP_NFSROOT and BOOTP_COMPAT in the kernel to do this. So I rebuilt the kernel, several times now with these options. But each time when ...

  1. BOOTP Whacks up Kernel Buils

    I'm trying to rebuild my 6.2-STABLE kernel to handle some
    diskless workstations and I need BOOTP, BOOTP_NFSROOT and
    BOOTP_COMPAT in the kernel to do this. So I rebuilt the
    kernel, several times now with these options. But each
    time when I reboot the message:

    DHCP/BOOTP TIMEOUT FOR SERVER 255.255.255.255

    scroll indefinetly and the machine will no longer boot.
    I can reboot using the kernel.old but not with the new
    kernel with these options in it. I've tried several
    times on two differnt machines and end up with the
    same results each time.

    What am I missing?

  2. Re: BOOTP Whacks up Kernel Buils

    On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:27:21 -0400, Ditch Brodie wrote:

    > I'm trying to rebuild my 6.2-STABLE kernel to handle some
    > diskless workstations and I need BOOTP, BOOTP_NFSROOT and
    > BOOTP_COMPAT in the kernel to do this. So I rebuilt the
    > kernel, several times now with these options. But each
    > time when I reboot the message:
    >
    > DHCP/BOOTP TIMEOUT FOR SERVER 255.255.255.255
    >
    > scroll indefinetly and the machine will no longer boot.
    > I can reboot using the kernel.old but not with the new
    > kernel with these options in it. I've tried several
    > times on two differnt machines and end up with the
    > same results each time.
    >
    > What am I missing?

    Okay, a little furher research and it appears that

    options BOOTP
    options BOOTP_NFSROOT
    options BOOTP_COMPAT

    have been deprecated. And if I'm using PXEBOOT then I
    shouldn't even need these in my kernel. The trouble is all
    the available docs on diskless setup in FreeBSD are outdated,
    at least the ones I can find, including the handbook.

    If anyone has some solid advice on diskless setup using
    FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE I'd appreciate a link or two.

  3. Re: BOOTP Whacks up Kernel Buils

    Ditch> If anyone has some solid advice on diskless setup using
    Ditch> FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE I'd appreciate a link or two.

    This may not be precisely what you want, but I worked out how to
    PXE-boot FreeBSD from a Windows server running RIS or WDS (in
    RIS-compatibility mode):

    http://web.irtnog.org/doc/how-to/fre...nstall-pxe-wds

    You should be able to adapt this to a Linux- or FreeBSD-based
    DHCP/TFTP server fairly easily. Be sure to read the linked articles,
    as they have additional information.

    Best wishes,
    Matthew

    --