Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2? - BSD

This is a discussion on Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2? - BSD ; Hello, I just upgraded from Xorg 7.2 to Xorg 7.3 on a couple of machines, using ports. It was painless (ok, it took some time, but otherwise painless), and the new Xorg works (both machines uses the 'ati' driver). I ...

  1. Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    Hello,

    I just upgraded from Xorg 7.2 to Xorg 7.3 on a couple of machines, using
    ports.
    It was painless (ok, it took some time, but otherwise painless), and the
    new Xorg works (both machines uses the 'ati' driver).
    I notice that the "num lock" LED on my keyboard doesn't light up anymore
    (the num lock button works...).
    I also notice that xdpyinfo produces a slightly different output:

    Xorg 7.2:
    ---------
    tingo@kg-work$ xdpyinfo | head -n 5
    name of display: :0.0
    version number: 11.0
    vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
    vendor release number: 70200000
    X.Org version: 7.2.0

    Xorg 7.3:
    ---------
    tingo@kg-work$ xdpyinfo | head -n 5
    name of display: :0.0
    version number: 11.0
    vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
    vendor release number: 10400000
    X.Org version: 1.4.0

    Is this intentional, or a bug?
    And, if it is intentional, how am I supposed to find out that I'm
    running Xorg version 7.3?

    Anybody else seeing this?
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  2. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:04:53 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    : Anybody else seeing this?

    I see the same thing here. send-pr

  3. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just upgraded from Xorg 7.2 to Xorg 7.3 on a couple of machines, using
    > ports.
    > It was painless (ok, it took some time, but otherwise painless), and the
    > new Xorg works (both machines uses the 'ati' driver).
    > I notice that the "num lock" LED on my keyboard doesn't light up anymore
    > (the num lock button works...).
    > I also notice that xdpyinfo produces a slightly different output:
    >
    > Xorg 7.2:
    > ---------
    > tingo@kg-work$ xdpyinfo | head -n 5
    > name of display: :0.0
    > version number: 11.0
    > vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
    > vendor release number: 70200000
    > X.Org version: 7.2.0
    >
    > Xorg 7.3:
    > ---------
    > tingo@kg-work$ xdpyinfo | head -n 5
    > name of display: :0.0
    > version number: 11.0
    > vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
    > vendor release number: 10400000
    > X.Org version: 1.4.0
    >
    > Is this intentional, or a bug?
    > And, if it is intentional, how am I supposed to find out that I'm
    > running Xorg version 7.3?
    >
    > Anybody else seeing this?

    Here a list of things I've noticed going to 7.3
    - Caps lock light
    - firefox/gecko crashses X intermittently. Javadocs, Wikipedia, Sun
    sites don't do it, but sites like DrudgeReport & some other others take
    down X quite frequently. I may try and recompile that seems to work w/
    other problems I've encountered - like JDK16 & RMI.
    - Xinerama and the native Nvidia drivers don't work together. I now
    have to use TwinView (their version of Xinerama) w/ the native Nvidia
    drivers (this isn't such big deal)

    Regards,

    Monty

  4. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:04:53 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > : Anybody else seeing this?
    >
    > I see the same thing here. send-pr

    Is there a PR already open on this? (I searched but didn't find anything)
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  5. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    In article <46fc1af6$1@news.broadpark.no> Torfinn Ingolfsen
    writes:

    >Xorg 7.3:
    >---------
    >tingo@kg-work$ xdpyinfo | head -n 5
    >name of display: :0.0
    >version number: 11.0
    >vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
    >vendor release number: 10400000
    >X.Org version: 1.4.0
    >
    >Is this intentional, or a bug?

    Well it's clearly not a bug, since (from xdpyinfo(1)):

    Xdpyinfo is a utility for displaying information about an X server.

    and

    $ pkgdb /usr/local/bin/Xorg
    xorg-server-1.4,1

    I don't know anything about the reason for this version numbering, but
    it's clearly not totally absurd that the X server - and other components
    - has a version number that differs from that of the "complete package".

    $ pkgdb /usr/local/bin/xterm
    xterm-229
    $ pkgdb /usr/local/bin/xdpyinfo
    xdpyinfo-1.0.2
    $ pkgdb /usr/local/lib/libX11.so.6
    libX11-1.1.3,1

    >And, if it is intentional, how am I supposed to find out that I'm
    >running Xorg version 7.3?

    Maybe you should just know?:-) Or alternatively you shouldn't care.:-)
    If you used the meta-ports to install (and haven't upgraded any
    individual components afterwards), you can of course look and see what
    you have in /var/db/pkg.

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  6. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:05:04 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 23:04:53 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    : > : Anybody else seeing this?
    : >
    : > I see the same thing here. send-pr
    :
    : Is there a PR already open on this? (I searched but didn't find anything)

    Don't know, sorry

  7. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen writes:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I just upgraded from Xorg 7.2 to Xorg 7.3 on a couple of
    > machines, using ports.
    > It was painless (ok, it took some time, but otherwise painless),
    > and the new Xorg works (both machines uses the 'ati' driver).
    > I notice that the "num lock" LED on my keyboard doesn't light up
    > anymore (the num lock button works...).
    > I also notice that xdpyinfo produces a slightly different output:
    >
    > Xorg 7.2:
    > ---------
    > tingo@kg-work$ xdpyinfo | head -n 5
    > name of display: :0.0
    > version number: 11.0
    > vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
    > vendor release number: 70200000
    > X.Org version: 7.2.0
    >
    > Xorg 7.3:
    > ---------
    > tingo@kg-work$ xdpyinfo | head -n 5
    > name of display: :0.0
    > version number: 11.0
    > vendor string: The X.Org Foundation
    > vendor release number: 10400000
    > X.Org version: 1.4.0
    >
    > Is this intentional, or a bug?
    > And, if it is intentional, how am I supposed to find out that I'm
    > running Xorg version 7.3?

    I don't think it's bug. it seems 1.4.0 is the version number of X
    server. if you are not sure you are running 7.3, just run:

    Xorg -version

    the output should include the release date of this xorg server.

    --
    Take thee a roll of a book, and write therein all the words that
    I have spoken unto thee against Israel, and against Judah, and

  8. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    dhg wrote:
    > I don't think it's bug. it seems 1.4.0 is the version number of X
    > server. if you are not sure you are running 7.3, just run:
    >
    > Xorg -version
    >
    > the output should include the release date of this xorg server.

    But it still doesn't tell me the release of Xorg (like it used to, in
    7.2 an earlier):
    tingo@kg-work$ Xorg -version

    X.Org X Server 1.4.0
    Release Date: 5 September 2007
    X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
    Current Operating System: FreeBSD kg-work.kg4.no 6.2-STABLE FreeBSD
    6.2-STABLE #4: Tue Jun 19 17:47:13 CEST 2007
    root@kg-work.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SS51G i386
    Build Date: 26 September 2007 09:03:29PM

    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    Module Loader present

    Since this is FreeBSD, this is at least a POLA violation. Of course,
    Xorg isn't part of FreeBSD, so one can argue that POLA isn't required
    for Xorg.

    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  9. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    Per Hedeland wrote:
    > Maybe you should just know?:-) Or alternatively you shouldn't care.:-)

    Could be right on both points. :-)

    > If you used the meta-ports to install (and haven't upgraded any
    > individual components afterwards), you can of course look and see what
    > you have in /var/db/pkg.

    Don't put too much weight on this; I was just asking if anybody knew a
    reason for this change.
    The answers so far seems to indicate that the reason (if any) isn't
    communicated widely.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  10. Re: Xorg 7.3 - differences from 7.2?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen writes:

    > dhg wrote:
    >> I don't think it's bug. it seems 1.4.0 is the version number of X
    >> server. if you are not sure you are running 7.3, just run:
    >>
    >> Xorg -version
    >>
    >> the output should include the release date of this xorg server.

    > But it still doesn't tell me the release of Xorg (like it used
    > to, in 7.2 an earlier):
    > tingo@kg-work$ Xorg -version
    >
    > X.Org X Server 1.4.0
    > Release Date: 5 September 2007
    > X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
    > Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386
    > Current Operating System: FreeBSD kg-work.kg4.no 6.2-STABLE
    > FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE #4: Tue Jun 19 17:47:13 CEST 2007
    > root@kg-work.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SS51G i386
    > Build Date: 26 September 2007 09:03:29PM
    >
    > Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    > to make sure that you have the latest version.
    > Module Loader present
    >
    > Since this is FreeBSD, this is at least a POLA violation. Of
    > course, Xorg isn't part of FreeBSD, so one can argue that POLA
    > isn't required for Xorg.

    so, my guessing. since Xorg is now modularized, the output
    'X.Org X Server 1.4' clearly signifies its release. because you
    may use older X clients with a newer X server. at least i don't
    think it is a POLA.

    --
    For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every
    one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the

+ Reply to Thread