Postgresql 8.2 - BSD

This is a discussion on Postgresql 8.2 - BSD ; Hi I'm new on FreeBSD and I would like to install Postgresql 8.2. I have installed my whole system and it runs fine, because in my port (/usr/ports/databases) I can find the postgresql81-server only, but I need 8.2. How I ...

  1. Postgresql 8.2

    Hi

    I'm new on FreeBSD and I would like to install Postgresql 8.2. I have
    installed my whole system and it runs fine, because in my port
    (/usr/ports/databases) I can find the postgresql81-server only, but I need
    8.2. How I can get the 8.2 to my ports?

    Thanks fpr help

    Philipp

  2. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm new on FreeBSD and I would like to install Postgresql 8.2. I have
    > installed my whole system and it runs fine, because in my port
    > (/usr/ports/databases) I can find the postgresql81-server only, but I need
    > 8.2. How I can get the 8.2 to my ports?

    Are you sure that your ports tree and / or FreeBSD are up to date?
    When I look in the ports tree on my FreeBSD 6.2-stable I find Postgresql in
    /usr/ports/databases/postgresql82-server

    (and it has been in the ports tree since last year).

    Freshports also confirms this:
    http://www.freshports.org/databases/...esql82-server/
    HTH
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    On 2007-09-26 23:32:51 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen said:

    > Are you sure that your ports tree and / or FreeBSD are up to date?

    I hope so. I have run on my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE the command:
    /usr/local/bin/portmanager -u

    > When I look in the ports tree on my FreeBSD 6.2-stable I find Postgresql in
    > /usr/ports/databases/postgresql82-server

    In my ports are only this Postgres directorys:

    p5-postgresql-plperl
    postgresql-contrib
    postgresql-docs
    postgresql-jdbc
    postgresql-libpgeasy
    postgresql-libpq++
    postgresql-libpqxx
    postgresql-odbc
    postgresql-plpython
    postgresql-plruby
    postgresql-pltcl
    postgresql-relay
    postgresql-tcltk
    postgresql73-client
    postgresql73-server
    postgresql74-client
    postgresql74-server
    postgresql80-client
    postgresql80-server
    postgresql81-client
    postgresql81-server
    postgresql_autodoc

    Must I add some Ports pathes to a file? Under Debian / Ubuntu I can add
    URLs to /etc/apt/source.list.

    Thanks for help

    Phil

  4. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > On 2007-09-26 23:32:51 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen said:
    >
    >> Are you sure that your ports tree and / or FreeBSD are up to date?

    > I hope so. I have run on my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE the command:
    > /usr/local/bin/portmanager -u

    Don't know what that does; maybe update installed ports?

    > In my ports are only this Postgres directorys:
    >
    > postgresql73-client
    > postgresql73-server
    > postgresql74-client
    > postgresql74-server
    > postgresql80-client
    > postgresql80-server
    > postgresql81-client
    > postgresql81-server

    8.2 has been in the ports since January. You need to update the ports
    tree (aka the "Ports Collection"):

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...rts-using.html

  5. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > I hope so. I have run on my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE the command:
    > /usr/local/bin/portmanager -u

    You should read the manuals / documentation for the tools you use.
    'portmanager -u' will only ugrade the _installed_ ports you have.
    In fact, portmanager will not upgrade the ports tree at all.

    > Must I add some Ports pathes to a file? Under Debian / Ubuntu I can add
    > URLs to /etc/apt/source.list.

    No, it doesn't work that way under FreeBSD. The ports tree is a cvs[1]
    collection (is "collection" the right word?), and you typically use
    cvsup[2] to update it.

    Warren Block has already pointed you at the documentaton for using the
    ports tree.

    Good luck!

    1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concurrent_Versions_System
    2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cvsup
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  6. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Hello,

    Philipp Kraus wrote:

    > I hope so. I have run on my FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE the command:
    > /usr/local/bin/portmanager -u

    I had installed the cd ports, I update the ports with portsnap. Now it works

    Thanks

    Philipp

  7. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Hi,

    Philipp Kraus wrote:

    > I had installed the cd ports, I update the ports with portsnap. Now it
    > works

    I have the Port with my Postgresql 8.2, but now, when I run make install, I
    got this messages:

    ===> Found saved configuration for postgresql-server-8.2.5_1
    => hier-v0.5.5-Pg8.2.0.diff.gz doesn't seem to exist
    in /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql.
    => Attempting to fetch from http://gppl.moonbone.ru/.
    fetch: http://gppl.moonbone.ru/hier-v0.5.5-Pg8.2.0.diff.gz: No address
    record
    => Attempting to fetch from
    ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...es/postgresql/.
    fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...les/postgresql
    /hier-v0.5.5-Pg8.2.0.diff.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no
    access)
    => Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
    => port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql and try again.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/databases/postgresql82-server.
    *** Error code 1

    Stop in /usr/ports/databases/postgresql82-server.

    How I can solve this Problem to get the right Sources

    Thanks

    Phil

  8. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Philipp Kraus wrote:

    > How I can solve this Problem to get the right Sources

    Go into the directory that you tried to install postresql82-server from and
    remove all traces of what you already did
    # make deinstall
    # make distclean

    install tool to find fastest cvsup
    # pkg_add -r fastest_cvsup

    run said program to find out fastest for your country
    # fastest_cvsup -c de

    replace the host name below with what was fastest for you
    in the following script...

    #
    # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile
    *default host=cvsup17.freebsd.org
    *default base=/var/db
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=.
    *default delete use-rel-suffix
    *default compress
    ports-all
    #

    Save the above as /root/ports-supfile

    run this command from the /root directory
    # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

    # make install clean

    Then initalize postgresql
    # /usr/local/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

    You can then start PostgreSQL by running:
    # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql start

    Then visit us an the Postgresql Mailing list once you have this working...

  9. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Hello,

    Walter Vaughan wrote:

    > Go into the directory that you tried to install postresql82-server from
    > and remove all traces of what you already did
    > # make deinstall
    > # make distclean
    >
    > install tool to find fastest cvsup
    > # pkg_add -r fastest_cvsup
    >
    > run said program to find out fastest for your country
    > # fastest_cvsup -c de
    >
    > replace the host name below with what was fastest for you
    > in the following script...
    >
    > #
    > # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile
    > *default host=cvsup17.freebsd.org
    > *default base=/var/db
    > *default prefix=/usr
    > *default release=cvs tag=.
    > *default delete use-rel-suffix
    > *default compress
    > ports-all
    > #
    >
    > Save the above as /root/ports-supfile
    >
    > run this command from the /root directory
    > # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

    till this it runs in the right order

    > # make install clean

    at this command, I got this messages:

    ===> Found saved configuration for postgresql-server-8.2.5_1
    => postgresql-base-8.2.5.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist
    in /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql.
    => Attempting to fetch from
    ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/postgresql/source/v8.2.5/.
    postgresql-base-8.2.5.tar.bz2
    => postgresql-opt-8.2.5.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist
    in /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql.
    => Attempting to fetch from
    ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/postgresql/source/v8.2.5/.
    postgresql-opt-8.2.5.tar.bz2
    => postgresql-test-8.2.5.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist
    in /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql.
    => Attempting to fetch from
    ftp://ftp8.us.postgresql.org/postgresql/source/v8.2.5/.
    postgresql-test-8.2.5.tar.bz2
    => hier-v0.5.5-Pg8.2.0.diff.gz doesn't seem to exist
    in /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql.
    => Attempting to fetch from http://gppl.moonbone.ru/.
    fetch: http://gppl.moonbone.ru/hier-v0.5.5-Pg8.2.0.diff.gz:
    No address record
    => Attempting to fetch from
    ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...es/postgresql/.
    fetch: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/po...es/postgresql/
    hier-v0.5.5-Pg8.2.0.diff.gz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no
    access)
    => Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
    => port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql and try again.
    *** Error code 1

    It's the same server that makes problems. I think the cvsupdate changes the
    URL, do it?

    Thanks

    Phil

  10. Re: Postgresql 8.2

    Philipp Kraus wrote:
    > Walter Vaughan wrote:
    >> Go into the directory that you tried to install postresql82-server from
    >> and remove all traces of what you already did
    >> # make deinstall
    >> # make distclean
    >>
    >> install tool to find fastest cvsup
    >> # pkg_add -r fastest_cvsup
    >>
    >> run said program to find out fastest for your country
    >> # fastest_cvsup -c de
    >>
    >> replace the host name below with what was fastest for you
    >> in the following script...
    >>
    >> #
    >> # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile
    >> *default host=cvsup17.freebsd.org
    >> *default base=/var/db
    >> *default prefix=/usr
    >> *default release=cvs tag=.
    >> *default delete use-rel-suffix
    >> *default compress
    >> ports-all
    >> #
    >>
    >> Save the above as /root/ports-supfile
    >>
    >> run this command from the /root directory
    >> # cvsup -g -L 2 ports-supfile

    This whole procedure is fine*, but doesn't address the problem of a
    file that can't be retrieved from any of the servers listed.

    * 1. fastest_cvsup only finds the cvsup server that responds quickest to
    pings, which is often not the fastest at providing updates.
    2. cvsup has been replaced by csup.

    >=> hier-v0.5.5-Pg8.2.0.diff.gz doesn't seem to exist
    > in /usr/ports/distfiles/postgresql.

    The reason it needs this file is probably because someone checked the
    "HIER" option in the config section. That means the build needs another
    file, which is only available from a Russian site that apparently no
    longer exists.

    Turn off the HIER option and rebuild. In fact, start from a default
    config and turn on additional options only if you know they are needed:

    cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql82-server
    make rmconfig (this removes custom configuration)
    make config (take the default if you aren't sure)
    make (build the port in the workdir)
    make install clean (install the port and remove the workdir)

    Now you've seen both ways of updating ports: portsnap (the new way) and
    csup/cvsup. Pick whichever you like and use that from now on.

    I recommend also using portupgrade to check for out-of-date installed
    ports. After installing it and updating the ports tree, you can do

    portsdb -Fu
    portversion -vL=

    to show a list of installed ports that need to be updated.