Private web surfing? - BSD

This is a discussion on Private web surfing? - BSD ; I am clueless abour how the net REALLY works, but i do want to learn. What I am outraged by is that when i surf the net, every / any site i visit can automatically tell from my IP where ...

  1. Private web surfing?

    I am clueless abour how the net REALLY works, but i do want to learn. What
    I am outraged by is that when i surf the net, every / any site i visit can
    automatically tell from my IP where / who i am.

    I am wondering if there is any freebsd software that i could use to be
    'private' on the net?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Private web surfing?

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:05:34 UTC, Joe Doe wrote:

    > I am clueless abour how the net REALLY works, but i do want to learn. What
    > I am outraged by is that when i surf the net, every / any site i visit can
    > automatically tell from my IP where / who i am.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is any freebsd software that i could use to be
    > 'private' on the net?

    No. Because if it worked, you would never receive any information back.
    It's akin to putting the wrong (or no) address on a letter you send out.

    One has to ask why you want this; you could of course be up to no good!
    Many criminals want exactly this.

    But anyway...there is another way. Do all your surfing via a site that
    will hide your true identity/address; it will get all of the packets on
    your behalf, and only it will know where you really are. Rather like
    having a PO box. Try here:

    http://www.anonymizer.com

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  3. Re: Private web surfing?

    On 25 Sep 2007 21:31:31 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:05:34 UTC, Joe Doe wrote:
    >
    >> I am clueless abour how the net REALLY works, but i do want to learn. What
    >> I am outraged by is that when i surf the net, every / any site i visit can
    >> automatically tell from my IP where / who i am.
    >>
    >> I am wondering if there is any freebsd software that i could use to be
    >> 'private' on the net?

    >No. Because if it worked, you would never receive any information back.
    >It's akin to putting the wrong (or no) address on a letter you send out.
    >
    >One has to ask why you want this; you could of course be up to no good!
    >Many criminals want exactly this.
    >
    >But anyway...there is another way. Do all your surfing via a site that
    >will hide your true identity/address; it will get all of the packets on
    >your behalf, and only it will know where you really are.

    That is assuming that such a site is not owned/operated by a
    three-letter agency of a foreign government.

    >Rather like
    >having a PO box. Try here:
    >
    > http://www.anonymizer.com
    >
    >--
    >Bob Eager
    >UNIX since v6..
    >http://tinyurl.com/2xqr6h

  4. Re: Private web surfing?

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:05:34 UTC, Joe Doe wrote:
    >
    >> I am clueless abour how the net REALLY works, but i do want to learn. What
    >> I am outraged by is that when i surf the net, every / any site i visit can
    >> automatically tell from my IP where / who i am.
    >>
    >> I am wondering if there is any freebsd software that i could use to be
    >> 'private' on the net?

    > No. Because if it worked, you would never receive any information back.
    > It's akin to putting the wrong (or no) address on a letter you send out.
    >
    > One has to ask why you want this; you could of course be up to no good!
    > Many criminals want exactly this.

    This is our friend Neil, more recently known as rac, then as pasta (of
    the "Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?" thread).

  5. Re: Private web surfing?

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:57:12 UTC, Warren Block
    wrote:

    > Bob Eager wrote:
    > > On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:05:34 UTC, Joe Doe wrote:
    > >
    > >> I am clueless abour how the net REALLY works, but i do want to learn. What
    > >> I am outraged by is that when i surf the net, every / any site i visit can
    > >> automatically tell from my IP where / who i am.
    > >>
    > >> I am wondering if there is any freebsd software that i could use to be
    > >> 'private' on the net?

    > > No. Because if it worked, you would never receive any information back.
    > > It's akin to putting the wrong (or no) address on a letter you send out.
    > >
    > > One has to ask why you want this; you could of course be up to no good!
    > > Many criminals want exactly this.

    > This is our friend Neil, more recently known as rac, then as pasta (of
    > the "Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?" thread).

    Would that be criminal obtuseness, then? :-)

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  6. Re: Private web surfing?

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Warren Block wrote:

    > Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:57:12 -0000
    > From: Warren Block
    > Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
    > Subject: Re: Private web surfing?>
    >
    > This is our friend Neil, more recently known as rac, then as pasta (of
    > the "Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?" thread).
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    Mr Block, So what if i change my nic, Am I not allowed to change my name
    here? Am I some kind of
    public enemy for asking questions?
    Can you Please tell me what I have done to offend you?

  7. Re: Private web surfing?

    Joe Doe wrote:
    > On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Warren Block wrote:
    >>
    >> This is our friend Neil, more recently known as rac, then as pasta (of
    >> the "Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?" thread).
    >>

    > Mr Block, So what if i change my nic, Am I not allowed to change my name
    > here? Am I some kind of
    > public enemy for asking questions?
    > Can you Please tell me what I have done to offend you?

    Well, we had threads trying to help you with FreeBSD's X, printers, USB
    storage, boot0, ports, and seemingly everything else you tried.

    Then, after morphing, you post this:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....0b7b9c8e78658b

    In which you say

    "I have tried linux already and am thinking about trying FreeBSD"

    Morphing to avoid responsibility for that particular untruth and the
    whole trolling thread is a poor way to treat people who have tried to
    help you.

  8. Re: Private web surfing?

    On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 21:05:34 +0000, Joe Doe wrote:

    > I am clueless abour how the net REALLY works, but i do want to learn. What
    > I am outraged by is that when i surf the net, every / any site i visit can
    > automatically tell from my IP where / who i am.
    >
    > I am wondering if there is any freebsd software that i could use to be
    > 'private' on the net?
    >
    > Thanks

    Tor.
    install privoxy, install tor, configure privoxy, check privoxy works with
    your browser then configure privoxy to use tor.
    Check you are anonymous by visiting one of many check your IP number web
    sites.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  9. Re: Private web surfing?

    On 25 Sep 2007 21:31:31 GMT
    "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > But anyway...there is another way. Do all your surfing via a site
    > that will hide your true identity/address; it will get all of the
    > packets on your behalf, and only it will know where you really are.
    > Rather like having a PO box. Try here:
    >
    > http://www.anonymizer.com

    Bob, don't you think this is the url that you should have provided?
    http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/

+ Reply to Thread