No video media playback - BSD

This is a discussion on No video media playback - BSD ; After upgrading to xorg 7.3, I can no longer play movies or video in FreeBSD. I've tried gxine, mplayer, vlc, and kaffine. I can't play xvid avi's or mpeg2's. All I get is a blue box. Audio works, but I ...

  1. No video media playback

    After upgrading to xorg 7.3, I can no longer play movies or video in
    FreeBSD. I've tried gxine, mplayer, vlc, and kaffine. I can't play xvid
    avi's or mpeg2's. All I get is a blue box. Audio works, but I just get a
    blue box where video should be. Games still play. I've tried rebuilding
    xorg, xine, vlc, all depenencies with portupgrade -Rf. Anybody have an
    idea? I don't know where to begin. Please let me know if I need to post
    any more relevant information. This is FreeBSD 6.2-Release, Xorg 7.3
    with all ports at their latest versions on a Compaq Evo N610c. The
    videocard is an Radeon Mobility 7500. I'm using the "radeon" driver.
    Anyone encountered this before?

    --
    -slunky

  2. Re: No video media playback

    _/ slunky wrote \_
    > After upgrading to xorg 7.3, I can no longer play movies or video in
    > FreeBSD. I've tried gxine, mplayer, vlc, and kaffine. I can't play xvid
    > avi's or mpeg2's. All I get is a blue box. Audio works, but I just get a
    > blue box where video should be. Games still play. I've tried rebuilding
    > xorg, xine, vlc, all depenencies with portupgrade -Rf. Anybody have an
    > idea? I don't know where to begin. Please let me know if I need to post
    > any more relevant information. This is FreeBSD 6.2-Release, Xorg 7.3
    > with all ports at their latest versions on a Compaq Evo N610c. The
    > videocard is an Radeon Mobility 7500. I'm using the "radeon" driver.
    > Anyone encountered this before?

    A newly genrated xorg.conf fixed it, but now I'm having problems with
    Terminal in xfce being transparent when I don't want it to.

    --
    -slunky

  3. Re: No video media playback

    On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:44:19 +0000, slunky wrote:

    > A newly genrated xorg.conf fixed it, but now I'm having problems with
    > Terminal in xfce being transparent when I don't want it to.

    Does Edit | Current Profile | Effects not allow you to set that as you
    wish?

  4. Re: No video media playback

    _/ Mark South wrote \_
    > Does Edit | Current Profile | Effects not allow you to set that as you
    > wish?

    I don't see that anywhere. I have Edit | Preferences . If I turn
    anti-alias on it works, but it slows down when I scroll, and if I turn
    the menu bar or the toolbar on it works. If I use size 11 or above font
    it works. Not all of it is transparent either. Just the text. It only
    doesn't work with all menubars off, no anti-aliasing, and size 10 or
    lower font which is exactly what I like and what worked before I
    generated the new xorg.conf. I just tried rm'ing terminalrc, and it made
    itself a new one, but it still doesn't work. It's just odd. I'm trying
    for the aterm look (aterm is completely transparent for me and has been
    since xorg 7.2. I gave up completely on that, plus it's missing some
    really nice features Terminal has.)

    --
    -slunky

  5. Re: No video media playback

    _/ slunky wrote \_
    > I don't see that anywhere. I have Edit | Preferences . If I turn
    > anti-alias on it works, but it slows down when I scroll, and if I turn
    > the menu bar or the toolbar on it works. If I use size 11 or above font
    > it works. Not all of it is transparent either. Just the text. It only
    > doesn't work with all menubars off, no anti-aliasing, and size 10 or
    > lower font which is exactly what I like and what worked before I
    > generated the new xorg.conf. I just tried rm'ing terminalrc, and it made
    > itself a new one, but it still doesn't work. It's just odd. I'm trying
    > for the aterm look (aterm is completely transparent for me and has been
    > since xorg 7.2. I gave up completely on that, plus it's missing some
    > really nice features Terminal has.)

    Ok. Nevermind. Changing the settings works for a minute, but then the
    text goes back transparent.

    --
    -slunky

+ Reply to Thread