Console app for DVD burn? - BSD

This is a discussion on Console app for DVD burn? - BSD ; I need to find a console app that I can use to burn a avi from a pc to a DVD which can be played on normal dvd player. Any suggestions?? (I cannot use xcdroast etc as I only have ...

  1. Console app for DVD burn?

    I need to find a console app that I can use to burn a avi from a pc to
    a DVD which can be played on normal dvd player.
    Any suggestions??

    (I cannot use xcdroast etc as I only have the Xorg 6.9 and cannot / will
    not be upgrading any time soon)

  2. Re: Console app for DVD burn?

    Joe Doe writes:

    > I need to find a console app that I can use to burn a avi from a
    > pc to a DVD which can be played on normal dvd player.
    > Any suggestions??
    >
    > (I cannot use xcdroast etc as I only have the Xorg 6.9 and cannot
    > / will not be upgrading any time soon)

    'growisofs' provided by 'dvd+rw-tools'

    and, you also need some DVD authoring tools to make DVD video out
    of AVI data.

    take a look at these ports: mplex, transcode, ffmpeg, etc.
    what'more, there is a chapter in the handbook that describes how
    to burn DVD under FreeBSD.

    good luck.

    --
    And it was so, that when Solomon had made an end of praying all
    this prayer and supplication unto the LORD, he arose from before

  3. Re: Console app for DVD burn?

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:30:48 GMT
    Joe Doe wrote:

    > I need to find a console app that I can use to burn a avi from a pc to
    > a DVD which can be played on normal dvd player.

    First possibility - some DVD players can play avi files in which
    case use growisofs or mkisofs and cdrecord to burn it onto a DVD or CD and
    away you go.

    Second possibility - you want a standard format DVD that can play
    on just about any DVD player.

    First convert it to an mpeg2 video with ac3 or mp2 audio - use
    ffmpeg, mencoder or transcode for this.

    Then create a DVD layout - use dvdauthor or dvdstyler for this.

    Then burn it (see above).

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  4. Re: Console app for DVD burn?

    On 2007-09-22, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:30:48 GMT
    > Joe Doe wrote:
    >
    >> I need to find a console app that I can use to burn a avi from a pc to
    >> a DVD which can be played on normal dvd player.

    > First possibility - some DVD players can play avi files in which
    > case use growisofs or mkisofs and cdrecord to burn it onto a DVD or CD and
    > away you go.
    >
    > Second possibility - you want a standard format DVD that can play
    > on just about any DVD player.
    >
    > First convert it to an mpeg2 video with ac3 or mp2 audio - use
    > ffmpeg, mencoder or transcode for this.
    >
    > Then create a DVD layout - use dvdauthor or dvdstyler for this.

    This advice is akin to:

    Build a fusion reactor - use quantum physics for this.

    Cheers

    JE

    > Then burn it (see above).

    Exactly.

  5. Re: Console app for DVD burn?

    On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 21:26:31 -0500
    JE wrote:

    > On 2007-09-22, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:30:48 GMT

    > > Then create a DVD layout - use dvdauthor or dvdstyler for this.

    > This advice is akin to:
    >
    > Build a fusion reactor - use quantum physics for this.

    Nonsense! For the easy case (a one title DVD with no menu or
    subtitle content that just plays when you put it in) assuming the video
    is in a file called video.mpg:

    mkdir DVD
    dvdauthor -o DVD -t -a en -c \
    00,15:00,30:00,45:00,1:00:00,1:15:00,1:30:00,1:45: 00,2:00:00,2:15:00,2:30:00,2:45:00,3:00:00 \
    video.mpg
    dvdauthor -o DVD -T

    Personally I keep the long line in a script called addvte
    with "$@" in place of video.mpg For complex DVDs (ie ones with
    more than one title dvdstyler is the easiest way - all nice and
    gooey.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  6. Re: Console app for DVD burn?

    On 2007-09-23, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 21:26:31 -0500
    > JE wrote:
    >
    >> On 2007-09-22, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    >> > On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:30:48 GMT

    >> > Then create a DVD layout - use dvdauthor or dvdstyler for this.

    >> This advice is akin to:
    >>
    >> Build a fusion reactor - use quantum physics for this.

    > Nonsense! For the easy case (a one title DVD with no menu or
    > subtitle content that just plays when you put it in) assuming the video
    > is in a file called video.mpg:
    >
    > mkdir DVD
    > dvdauthor -o DVD -t -a en -c \
    > 00,15:00,30:00,45:00,1:00:00,1:15:00,1:30:00,1:45: 00,2:00:00,2:15:00,2:30:00,2:45:00,3:00:00 \
    > video.mpg
    > dvdauthor -o DVD -T
    >
    > Personally I keep the long line in a script called addvte
    > with "$@" in place of video.mpg For complex DVDs (ie ones with
    > more than one title dvdstyler is the easiest way - all nice and
    > gooey.

    I've never been able to make dvdstyler work. I haven'y spent much time with
    it though.

    Don't mind my crankiness. I'm a tad perturbed about my borked system. xorg
    seems to be terminally unfixable.

    Cheers

    JE

  7. Re: Console app for DVD burn?

    In article ,
    JE wrote:

    >On 2007-09-22, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    >> On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 14:30:48 GMT
    >> Joe Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need to find a console app that I can use to burn a avi from a pc to
    >>> a DVD which can be played on normal dvd player.

    >> First possibility - some DVD players can play avi files in which
    >> case use growisofs or mkisofs and cdrecord to burn it onto a DVD or CD and
    >> away you go.
    >>
    >> Second possibility - you want a standard format DVD that can play
    >> on just about any DVD player.
    >>
    >> First convert it to an mpeg2 video with ac3 or mp2 audio - use
    >> ffmpeg, mencoder or transcode for this.
    >>
    >> Then create a DVD layout - use dvdauthor or dvdstyler for this.

    >This advice is akin to:
    >
    >Build a fusion reactor - use quantum physics for this.
    >
    >Cheers

    I have had good success with the AviToVob shell script:

    http://inferno.slug.org/cgi-bin/wiki?AviToVob

    I think there was some issue of getting the right version of some of the
    programs it calls, but I have been able to use it to make DVD compatible
    filetrees from my AVI files from which I can use growisofs to write DVDs.

    Ted

+ Reply to Thread