Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11 - BSD

This is a discussion on Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11 - BSD ; Hi I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote server over a SSH/X11 tunnel.. Is there such a thing? Firefox is rather huge IMO... I can not use links or lynx, as ...

  1. Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    Hi

    I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..

    Is there such a thing?
    Firefox is rather huge IMO...

    I can not use links or lynx, as I have to access a web page asking for
    confirmation using a graphic...

    Thank you in advance
    Jean-Yves
    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  2. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    JYA wrote:

    > I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    > server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..
    >
    > Is there such a thing?
    > Firefox is rather huge IMO...
    >
    > I can not use links or lynx, as I have to access a web page asking for
    > confirmation using a graphic...

    links -g does graphics.

    Does the size of the program matter, though? Doesn't a remote X
    connection just send graphic updates, rather than the program itself?

  3. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:51:37 +1000
    JYA wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    > server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..
    >
    > Is there such a thing?
    > Firefox is rather huge IMO...
    >
    > I can not use links or lynx, as I have to access a web page asking for
    > confirmation using a graphic...

    Well links has a GUI option which is not too shabby - also look at
    Dillo.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  4. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    In article ,
    Warren Block wrote:

    >links -g does graphics.

    >Does the size of the program matter, though? Doesn't a remote X
    >connection just send graphic updates, rather than the program itself?

    Yes. Unfortunately many big programs (such as web browsers) tend to
    also be heavy users of bandwidth for graphics too. Using the -C
    option to compress ssh data often makes a big difference, especially
    to startup time (I imagine it's mostly fonts and bitmaps for controls,
    but I haven't checked).

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.

  5. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    Warren Block wrote:
    > Does the size of the program matter, though? Doesn't a remote X
    > connection just send graphic updates, rather than the program itself?

    Well, especially gtk does funny things within X too; espcially it
    looks like they have some problems in distinguishing beween things
    on a remote-site an things on the lokal box. And even worse, its
    often incredibly slow (but *not* when running the session via X -query).

    cu
    Clemens.
    --
    /"\ http://czauner.onlineloop.com/
    \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

  6. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    Hi
    On 2007-09-18 03:11:22 +1000, Warren Block said:
    > links -g does graphics.
    >
    > Does the size of the program matter, though? Doesn't a remote X
    > connection just send graphic updates, rather than the program itself?

    Thank you all for this.

    I'll try links.

    The problem isn't about the size of the program, but how fancy what
    they are displaying is.
    Firefox has a lot of graphics, and it takes forever even on a 10mbit/s
    internet connection.

    I'll try links now.

    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)

  7. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    In article <20070917163112.feb30c68.steveo@eircom.net>,
    Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

    > > I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    > > server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..

    > Well links has a GUI option which is not too shabby - also look at
    > Dillo.

    I'm not sure `links -g` uses X11 for display, how can you export display
    in that case ?

    patpro

    --
    http://www.patpro.net/

  8. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:11:22 -0000
    Warren Block wrote:

    > JYA wrote:
    > >
    > > I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    > > server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..
    > >
    > > Is there such a thing?
    > > Firefox is rather huge IMO...
    > >
    > > I can not use links or lynx, as I have to access a web page asking for
    > > confirmation using a graphic...

    > links -g does graphics.
    >
    > Does the size of the program matter, though? Doesn't a remote X
    > connection just send graphic updates, rather than the program itself?

    Indeed it does - although from what I have seen GTK2 applications
    are no fun at all over a high latency connection the tend to redraw rather
    more than seems necessary.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  9. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:31:12 +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

    >> I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    >> server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..
    >>
    >> Is there such a thing?
    >> Firefox is rather huge IMO...

    The Mac Truck of browsers.

    >> I can not use links or lynx, as I have to access a web page asking for
    >> confirmation using a graphic...

    > Well links has a GUI option which is not too shabby

    Links in graphics mode is pretty sweet.

    > - also look at Dillo.

    Dillo has been dead for over a year now, the last released version is
    mostly unbuildable (OpenBSD tossed it from their ports system) and the
    authors have refused to release any newer code :-(

  10. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    patpro ~ patrick proniewski wrote:
    > In article <20070917163112.feb30c68.steveo@eircom.net>,
    > Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    >
    >> > I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    >> > server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..

    >> Well links has a GUI option which is not too shabby - also look at
    >> Dillo.

    > I'm not sure `links -g` uses X11 for display, how can you export display
    > in that case ?

    links can use X or svgalib. Others, too, according to the man page.

  11. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:02:58 +0200
    patpro ~ patrick proniewski wrote:

    > In article <20070917163112.feb30c68.steveo@eircom.net>,
    > Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    >
    > > > I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    > > > server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..

    > > Well links has a GUI option which is not too shabby - also look
    > > at Dillo.

    > I'm not sure `links -g` uses X11 for display, how can you export display
    > in that case ?

    Yes it does - what else would it use ?

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  12. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    In article <20070918211723.bc1d97d9.steveo@eircom.net>,
    Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:02:58 +0200
    > patpro ~ patrick proniewski wrote:

    > > > Well links has a GUI option which is not too shabby - also look
    > > > at Dillo.

    > > I'm not sure `links -g` uses X11 for display, how can you export display
    > > in that case ?

    > Yes it does - what else would it use ?

    my links is compiled with svgalib, no X11. And as far as I can say, I
    can't use links -g over ssh.

    patpro

    --
    http://www.patpro.net/

  13. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:19:12 +0200
    patpro ~ Patrick Proniewski wrote:

    > In article <20070918211723.bc1d97d9.steveo@eircom.net>,
    > Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:02:58 +0200
    > > patpro ~ patrick proniewski wrote:

    > > > I'm not sure `links -g` uses X11 for display, how can you export
    > > > display in that case ?

    > > Yes it does - what else would it use ?

    > my links is compiled with svgalib, no X11. And as far as I can say, I
    > can't use links -g over ssh.

    Ah OK - I've never used it compiled with anything other than X11
    which works fine.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  14. Re: Light-weight web browser over SSH/X11

    JYA wrote:
    > I am after a very light weight web browser that I can run on a remote
    > server over a SSH/X11 tunnel..

    elinks, e3m, dillo, etc.

    --
    Saludos,