Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System? - BSD

This is a discussion on Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System? - BSD ; On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:56:28 GMT, bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) wrote: > In article , > Giorgos Keramidas wrote: >>On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:11:12 GMT, pasta wrote: >>>Bill Vermillion wrote: >>>> snip... >>> >>> I have tried linux already ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35

  1. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:56:28 GMT, bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    > In article <87fy1jvrkl.fsf@kobe.laptop>,
    > Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have tried linux already and am thinking about trying FreeBSD which
    >>> is why I have been reading here and why I have asked this question. I
    >>> think I will try FreeBSD, but if I do need help I will try to ask
    >>> elsewhere as people who post here seem to be very full of themselves
    >>> (apart from your reply which was civil)

    >>You posted a question which sounded like you already assume that FreeBSD
    >>is worthless of even trying. This is probably the reason why some of
    >>the answers you received were angry.
    >>
    >>If you *do* try to use FreeBSD, you spend some time learning how it
    >>works, and you come back with specific questions about things that you
    >>want to learn more about, I'm sure that you will get far more useful
    >>answers.

    > You need to check your attributions. The above looks like
    > I said that while the OP did.

    Hi Bill,

    I know your name from other posts here, so there's no way I would expect
    a post from you saying what the OP wrote. I should have trimmed your
    name, that's true.

    I apologize for any confusion caused by keeping both attribution lines.

    > In case you are interested it's http://www.springbreak.com

    Heh. I didn't know *you* are the administrator behind this one

    - Giorgos

  2. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:52:17 GMT
    Bill Laird wrote:

    > Hey I just tried Dreamscene on Vista Ultimate extras [Really].
    > Nothing like an MPEG video running as a desktop background.

    This is new ??? mplayer -rootwin has worked on anything with XVideo
    support for *years* - it must be at least five years ago I used it for
    watching TV on an AMD XP1200 box.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  3. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    ? wrote:

    > A HOME user may end up using it as their primary desktop because
    > 1) It provides the functionality and stability they need.
    > 2) It provides the functionality and stability needed by the poor
    > family member or friend that provides support for them.

    Yes, and the $$$ you pay for this functionality and stability is nothing.

    Seriously, it's a point that sometimes seems to be lost. The trade off
    between paying for the equivalent functionality in Windows or using say
    FreeBSD, is investing some more of your time reading about,
    understanding and learning how to do certain operations.

  4. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

    > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:52:17 GMT
    > Bill Laird wrote:
    >
    >> Hey I just tried Dreamscene on Vista Ultimate extras [Really].
    >> Nothing like an MPEG video running as a desktop background.

    > This is new ??? mplayer -rootwin has worked on anything with XVideo
    > support for *years* - it must be at least five years ago I used it for
    > watching TV on an AMD XP1200 box.

    I also wrote:
    "Rooly power user stuff that: 30-50% CPU useage [wow] [Quad core anyone?]"

    I was smiling, being facetious when I wrote about Dreamscene NOT promoting
    the idea!

    Basically the idea of a 'movie on the desktop' as a BACKGROUND image is a
    waste of space, CPU cycles, distracting the way I see it. No doubt it MAY
    have some useful purpose for a few people.

    Likewise I've used mplayer and others to watch movies full screen on odd
    occasions [since FreeBSD 4] but I don't want to use a movie as a background
    image on any OS...

    Have also looked at Enlightenment desktop and tried it's desktop applets
    etc. Cute! but for my humble purposes Blackbox suffices!

    cheers

    --

    Bill
    AMD64 - FreeBSD 6.2

  5. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:04:24 GMT
    Bill Laird wrote:

    > Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:52:17 GMT
    > > Bill Laird wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hey I just tried Dreamscene on Vista Ultimate extras [Really].
    > >> Nothing like an MPEG video running as a desktop background.

    > > This is new ??? mplayer -rootwin has worked on anything with XVideo
    > > support for *years* - it must be at least five years ago I used it for
    > > watching TV on an AMD XP1200 box.
    > >

    > I also wrote:
    > "Rooly power user stuff that: 30-50% CPU useage [wow] [Quad core anyone?]"

    Got to do something with all that CPU power - couldn't possibly
    find anything useful to do with it

    > I was smiling, being facetious when I wrote about Dreamscene NOT promoting
    > the idea!

    Oh sure - but I'll bet it's being marketed as something new and
    cool that couldn't be done before.

    > Basically the idea of a 'movie on the desktop' as a BACKGROUND image is a
    > waste of space, CPU cycles, distracting the way I see it.

    Indeed it is - unless the idea is to watch the movie (ie empty
    desktop) but still be able to bring up the root menu and do things if you
    want to, When I used it for watching TV I used the rootwin option (ie
    background image) on a blank desktop. Having a movie going on in the
    background while I'm working - now that's silly ... hmm although Crystal
    Voyager might be nice

    > Have also looked at Enlightenment desktop and tried it's desktop applets
    > etc. Cute! but for my humble purposes Blackbox suffices!

    I've been happy with flwm for many years now.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  6. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    In article <874phz8m8x.fsf@kobe.laptop>,
    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
    >On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 18:56:28 GMT, bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) wrote:
    >> In article <87fy1jvrkl.fsf@kobe.laptop>,
    >> Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

    >>>You posted a question which sounded like you already assume that FreeBSD
    >>>is worthless of even trying. This is probably the reason why some of
    >>>the answers you received were angry.
    >>>
    >>>If you *do* try to use FreeBSD, you spend some time learning how it
    >>>works, and you come back with specific questions about things that you
    >>>want to learn more about, I'm sure that you will get far more useful
    >>>answers.

    >> You need to check your attributions. The above looks like
    >> I said that while the OP did.

    >Hi Bill,
    >
    >I know your name from other posts here, so there's no way I would expect
    >a post from you saying what the OP wrote. I should have trimmed your
    >name, that's true.
    >
    >I apologize for any confusion caused by keeping both attribution lines.
    >
    >> In case you are interested it's http://www.springbreak.com

    >Heh. I didn't know *you* are the administrator behind this one
    >
    >- Giorgos

    Actually my partner in the ISP owns that. I keep the software
    under-the-hood running and he does the visual stuff.

    I just don't have a good eye for that.

    We run a small niche market ISP - but are on Level 3's backbone in
    their colo.

    We picked up some sites when some major providers could not
    provide exactly what they wanted but we could.

    As an example you can look at:
    http://www.aafassociation.org also now known as http://www.amwa.tv
    The 'members' listing is quite eye-opening for the names
    involved.

    or try
    http://www.videoservicesforum.org

    Since we both worked in media environments before we understand
    the needs.

    The nice thing about having sites like that is that when someone
    has problems they all are tehcnically oriented and I don't ever
    have to tell anyone where the 'any' key is.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  7. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    In article , ?
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:00:19 GMT in
    > pasta
    > wrote:

    >You do realize that you look like a troll for atleast the
    >following reasons. 1) You chose quite the antagonistic subject
    >line. 2) You're pretending to be coming from a domain that is
    >likely to have no knowledge you exist. 3) Instead of indicating
    >how the mainstream is failing to meet your needs you badmouth
    >that which you claim to be interested in.

    [most snipped as I have only one question in your reply]

    >Try indicating what you're trying to do (Because HOME Desktop could mean
    >The outside party that created the windowing system used by the system
    >has implemented a planned change in how the window system is built,
    >packaged, and distributed.
    >That change has created issues for all Unixlike operating systems that
    >use the windowing system. Many of the other Unixlike operating systems
    >resolved the issue by requiring users "fdisk, format, and reinstall"
    >instead of providing an in place upgrade path.

    Which Unixlike system require the 'fdisk, format, and reinstall'.
    That surely doesn't fit 'unixlike' the way I view it :-)

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  8. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    [old message. catching up. yadda yadda.]
    Begin
    On 12 Sep 2007 20:41:57 GMT, ? wrote:

    > Preface... I'm one of those weirdos that regularly uses
    > Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and AIX and my mantra is
    > "They all suck differently."

    My comment is ``I like Guinness, but AIX... not so much'' and maybe
    someone here will even understand the reference. Possibly.

    [snip!]
    > Ah, another old fart... I'm almost at the 2 decade point with Unix.
    > I have a tendency to work a while for big companies to cleanup
    > the messes created by "architects" that haven't done day to day
    > sysadmin work or programming and "sysadmins" that demonstrate the
    > apathy that seems to make HR happy.

    I still have to figure out how to get paid for being an "architect".
    But it seems that if you've once done the gruntwork, there's this glass
    ceiling. It's not just the wimmins that run into it. ;-)

  9. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 17:38:53 +0000, jpd wrote:

    > [old message. catching up. yadda yadda.]
    > Begin
    > On 12 Sep 2007 20:41:57 GMT, ? wrote:
    >>
    >> Preface... I'm one of those weirdos that regularly uses
    >> Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and AIX and my mantra is
    >> "They all suck differently."

    > My comment is ``I like Guinness, but AIX... not so much'' and maybe
    > someone here will even understand the reference. Possibly.

    I understand the reference, but personally I prefer AIX to Guinness. And
    I don't like AIX that much.

    > [snip!]
    >> Ah, another old fart... I'm almost at the 2 decade point with Unix.
    >> I have a tendency to work a while for big companies to cleanup
    >> the messes created by "architects" that haven't done day to day
    >> sysadmin work or programming and "sysadmins" that demonstrate the
    >> apathy that seems to make HR happy.

    > I still have to figure out how to get paid for being an "architect".
    > But it seems that if you've once done the gruntwork, there's this glass
    > ceiling. It's not just the wimmins that run into it. ;-)

    To get paid for being an architect, you need to be using your
    architectural skills to design stuff that somebody wants and nobody has.

    Like, don't get stuck designing customer relationship management databases.

  10. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Sep 12, 8:41 pm, ? wrote:
    > Ah, another old fart... I'm almost at the 2 decade point with Unix.

    Newcomer! :-)

    (see sig)

  11. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:38:58 UTC, warpcity@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Sep 12, 8:41 pm, ? wrote:
    > > Ah, another old fart... I'm almost at the 2 decade point with Unix.

    > Newcomer! :-)
    >
    > (see sig)

    That was me...forgot the GG account doesn't *have* the sig...!

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  12. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On 8 Nov 2007 20:17:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
    >On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:38:58 UTC, warpcity@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> On Sep 12, 8:41 pm, ? wrote:
    >> > Ah, another old fart... I'm almost at the 2 decade point with Unix.

    >> Newcomer! :-)
    >>
    >> (see sig)

    >That was me...forgot the GG account doesn't *have* the sig...!

    I was about to pass comment, but you've cleared that up :-)

    >--
    >Bob Eager
    >UNIX since v6..

    I've got v6 running and I am working through the Lion's Commentary
    and learning a lot...

    (UNIX since SVR3)

    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

    The future was never like this!

  13. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 06:08:06 UTC, stanb45@dial.pipex.com (Stan Barr)
    wrote:

    > On 8 Nov 2007 20:17:14 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

    > >> Newcomer! :-)
    > >>
    > >> (see sig)

    > >That was me...forgot the GG account doesn't *have* the sig...!

    > I was about to pass comment, but you've cleared that up :-)
    >
    > >--
    > >Bob Eager
    > >UNIX since v6..

    > I've got v6 running and I am working through the Lion's Commentary
    > and learning a lot...
    >
    > (UNIX since SVR3)

    I'm hoping to get it running on a real PDP-11 soon...!

    ( we had v6 in 1976, and I read Lions just after it was first published.
    It wasn't my copy, but I got one about ten years ago...)

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  14. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On 9 Nov 2007 07:33:02 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
    >On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 06:08:06 UTC, stanb45@dial.pipex.com (Stan Barr)
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> I've got v6 running and I am working through the Lion's Commentary
    >> and learning a lot...
    >>
    >> (UNIX since SVR3)

    >I'm hoping to get it running on a real PDP-11 soon...!

    Sadly the power supply in my PDP-11/73 died recently, and I haven't fixed
    it yet, but it wont run v6 anyway!

    I run v5 (1974) on my "Fake" PDP - a 486/100 running Ersatz-11 under MSDOS,
    complete with real blinkenlites, but sadly, no switches :-(

    FreeBSD here runs on UltraSparc-64 bit, a long way from a PDP-11...
    --
    Cheers,
    Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com
    (Remove any digits from the addresses when mailing me.)

    The future was never like this!

  15. Re: Is FreeBSD a Novelty Operating System?

    On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 18:33:37 UTC, stanb45@dial.pipex.com (Stan Barr)
    wrote:

    > On 9 Nov 2007 07:33:02 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:
    > >On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 06:08:06 UTC, stanb45@dial.pipex.com (Stan Barr)
    > >wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I've got v6 running and I am working through the Lion's Commentary
    > >> and learning a lot...
    > >>
    > >> (UNIX since SVR3)

    > >I'm hoping to get it running on a real PDP-11 soon...!

    > Sadly the power supply in my PDP-11/73 died recently, and I haven't fixed
    > it yet, but it wont run v6 anyway!
    >
    > I run v5 (1974) on my "Fake" PDP - a 486/100 running Ersatz-11 under MSDOS,
    > complete with real blinkenlites, but sadly, no switches :-(
    >
    > FreeBSD here runs on UltraSparc-64 bit, a long way from a PDP-11...

    On various PCs here. Really must try and get 4.3BSD running on one of my
    VAXes...!

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..