Avahi: Failed to create client: Daemon not running - BSD

This is a discussion on Avahi: Failed to create client: Daemon not running - BSD ; Recently I'm getting this line in my log when I boot up 6-STABLE: Avahi: Failed to create client: Daemon not running I have two questions, which if answered hopefully will lead me to a better understanding of how FreeBSD works: ...

  1. Avahi: Failed to create client: Daemon not running

    Recently I'm getting this line in my log when I boot up 6-STABLE:

    Avahi: Failed to create client: Daemon not running

    I have two questions, which if answered hopefully will lead me to a
    better understanding of how FreeBSD works:

    1) The text is neither stored in dmesg or /var/log, I only see it when
    I boot up the system. Why isn't it stored in some log file?

    2) Where from is Avahi started? There's nothing in /etc/rc.conf. Is it
    perhaps started by another services? And if so, can I tell which?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Avahi: Failed to create client: Daemon not running

    Begin <46dc63f8$0$47129$892e7fe2@authen.yellow.readfreene ws.net>
    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:43:52 +0200, Lars Stokholm
    wrote:
    > Recently I'm getting this line in my log when I boot up 6-STABLE:
    >
    > Avahi: Failed to create client: Daemon not running

    No clue what that is. But cd /usr/ports/*/avahi; cat pkg-descr does
    tell me something.

    > I have two questions, which if answered hopefully will lead me to a
    > better understanding of how FreeBSD works:
    >
    > 1) The text is neither stored in dmesg or /var/log, I only see it when
    > I boot up the system. Why isn't it stored in some log file?

    Because, maybe, syslogd wasn't configured to do so. dmesg is a kernel
    thing and not so much a syslogd related thing.

    > 2) Where from is Avahi started? There's nothing in /etc/rc.conf. Is it
    > perhaps started by another services? And if so, can I tell which?

    Since it's not in base, I'd suggest taking a look around in
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d instead.