CD mount problems - BSD

This is a discussion on CD mount problems - BSD ; Running Freebsd 6.2, as a regular user I cant seem to play a CD - but it works as root. I used sysctl vfs.usermount to see the status and it came back as 0. So I changed this value to ...

  1. CD mount problems

    Running Freebsd 6.2, as a regular user I cant seem to play a CD - but it
    works as root.
    I used sysctl vfs.usermount to see the status and it came back as 0. So I
    changed this value to 1 by sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1 and then edited
    /etc/sysctl.conf and put in vfs.usermount=1.

    Problems:
    1. everytime i boot up - vfs.usermount is always 0. It seems that the
    entry in /etc/sysctl.conf is being ignored.

    2. Even if i do change vfs.usermount to 1, I still cant play a CD as a
    regular user.

    Help please

  2. Re: CD mount problems

    neil writes:

    > Running Freebsd 6.2, as a regular user I cant seem to play a CD - but
    > it works as root.
    > I used sysctl vfs.usermount to see the status and it came back as
    > 0. So I changed this value to 1 by sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1 and then
    > edited /etc/sysctl.conf and put in vfs.usermount=1.
    >
    > Problems:
    > 1. everytime i boot up - vfs.usermount is always 0. It seems that the
    > entry in /etc/sysctl.conf is being ignored.
    >
    > 2. Even if i do change vfs.usermount to 1, I still cant play a CD as a
    > regular user.
    >
    > Help please

    The sysctl is irrelevant; playing CDs does not involve mounting the
    disk. All you should need is read access to the device file, which is
    probably /dev/acd0. You can adjust devfs.conf(5) to give the access
    if it isn't happening by default; but I thought it was on a default
    install. You don't mention what you actually do to play the CDs, but
    the standard program is cdcontrol(1). Try "cdcontrol -v play" and
    check its output and any log output that may have occurred.

    You might want to look at
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...s/article.html
    for some advice on asking questions in the most effective way.

    Good luck.

  3. Re: CD mount problems

    Here's a handy link I found about user mountable devices on FreeBSD -
    it's for 5.3 but it's still applicable for stable.

    http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/041130A/

+ Reply to Thread