How can I cvsup one ports - BSD

This is a discussion on How can I cvsup one ports - BSD ; Hi I want to install Oracle9i in my freebsd 6.1. And I find that the required ports 'linux_devtools' was removed from the main cvs branch. How do I cvsup only linux_devtools ports to a specific tag like RELEASE_6_1_0? Or is ...

  1. How can I cvsup one ports

    Hi
    I want to install Oracle9i in my freebsd 6.1. And I find that
    the required ports 'linux_devtools' was removed from the main cvs
    branch.
    How do I cvsup only linux_devtools ports to a specific tag like
    RELEASE_6_1_0?

    Or is there better way to install Oracle in freebsd6.1?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: How can I cvsup one ports

    haomiao wrote:

    > Hi
    > I want to install Oracle9i in my freebsd 6.1. And I find that
    > the required ports 'linux_devtools' was removed from the main cvs
    > branch.
    > How do I cvsup only linux_devtools ports to a specific tag like
    > RELEASE_6_1_0?

    Ports arent tagged. There is only a current version of the ports tree
    (tag=.).

    > Or is there better way to install Oracle in freebsd6.1?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Best regards,

    Stefan

  3. Re: How can I cvsup one ports

    On Aug 12, 2:08 am, haomiao wrote:
    > Hi
    > I want to install Oracle9i in my freebsd 6.1. And I find that
    > the required ports 'linux_devtools' was removed from the main cvs
    > branch.
    > How do I cvsup only linux_devtools ports to a specific tag like
    > RELEASE_6_1_0?
    >
    > Or is there better way to install Oracle in freebsd6.1?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You could poke around on freshports, they have a bit of a time machine
    ability, but a quick look by me didn't turn anything up. Got the
    package name correct?

  4. Re: How can I cvsup one ports

    haomiao wrote:

    > Hi
    > I want to install Oracle9i in my freebsd 6.1. And I find that
    > the required ports 'linux_devtools' was removed from the main cvs
    > branch.

    It was removed as it doesn't match any of the current linux_base iterations.
    The old linux_base from a long time ago was something like Redhat 4/5/6. I
    believe the present default is linux_base-fc4, which is what is on my
    machine.

    There is also a linux_base-fc6, but IIRC it is really for Current (soon to
    be 7-Release). The difference is the Linux kernel version, the fc4 is still
    a 2.4.x kernel and the fc6 (I believe) will be 2.6.x based. In either case
    there is a corresponding kernel module. I thought the work for moving to
    the 2.6.x Linux kernel involved work/structures relevant to 7, but I
    haven't been following this in a while.

    > How do I cvsup only linux_devtools ports to a specific tag like
    > RELEASE_6_1_0?

    In this case I don't think you'll be able to do this.

    > Or is there better way to install Oracle in freebsd6.1?

    You could try using the linux_base-fc4 port and see what happens. I suspect
    it is missing some of the header files Oracle needs for installation and
    won't work. The other thing you might try is one of the other ones like the
    linux_base-gentoo-stage3 and its corresponding linux_dist-gentoo-stage3
    (here I'm thinking the header files Oracle needs may be present, but also
    don't really know). I have not tried this and still only run the
    linux_base-fc4 myself.

    The last time I tried installing Oracle 10g on FreeBSD was prior to the
    advent of the linux_base-fc4 upgrade. With the earlier version of the
    linux_base it would hang up on the lack of db4 library support. I think
    I've seen a db4 lib somewhere when poking around in fc4, so have meant to
    try it again but never gotten 'round to it.

    I went to Solaris 10 for my Oracle needs. Gobs of memory required! :-)

    -Jason

  5. Re: How can I cvsup one ports

    On 2007-08-12, Stefan Ollermann wrote:
    > haomiao wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> I want to install Oracle9i in my freebsd 6.1. And I find that
    >> the required ports 'linux_devtools' was removed from the main cvs
    >> branch.
    >> How do I cvsup only linux_devtools ports to a specific tag like
    >> RELEASE_6_1_0?

    > Ports arent tagged. There is only a current version of the ports tree
    > (tag=.).

    Ports are tagged, but for every day job it does not make sense to follow
    the tagged target since, there is not much to follow. One can f.e. fetch
    a tree version marked as EOL for the 4.x line.

    --
    Piotr Smyrak

+ Reply to Thread