Remote site synch tool - BSD

This is a discussion on Remote site synch tool - BSD ; Until recently, I maintained my websites by editing local files and running 'sitecopy -u ' But now, I have PHP actually changing files on the site. What I would like to find now is a Mac OS 10.3.9 binary or ...

  1. Remote site synch tool

    Until recently, I maintained my websites by editing local files
    and running 'sitecopy -u '

    But now, I have PHP actually changing files on the site.

    What I would like to find now is a Mac OS 10.3.9 binary or
    some open source, Linux/BSD code that will query the
    server for file dates, compare them with local files AND with
    synch records, and update both sides.

    So if I edit A and B, and the server edits B and C, the code
    should upload A, download C, and tell me I need to merge B.

    A binary for FreeBSD or Kubuntu would be usable--though
    I edit on the Mac, NFS makes that irrelevant.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

  2. Re: Remote site synch tool

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    > What I would like to find now is a Mac OS 10.3.9 binary or
    > some open source, Linux/BSD code that will query the
    > server for file dates, compare them with local files AND with
    > synch records, and update both sides.
    >
    > So if I edit A and B, and the server edits B and C, the code
    > should upload A, download C, and tell me I need to merge B.
    >
    > A binary for FreeBSD or Kubuntu would be usable--though
    > I edit on the Mac, NFS makes that irrelevant.

    Unison should do what you need
    though I understand the Mac version might be a bit problematic.

    --
    Mike Clarke

  3. Re: Remote site synch tool

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > But thanks for the link--I had the impression from
    > somewhere that Unison was an OS X NNTP client.

    I was right. Unison IS a Usenet client.
    But it's also a file synchronizer. Two
    different things with the same name.

    > It is a perfect replacement for a local LAN task
    > that was using rsync with some kludgey babysitting
    > code.
    >
    > And if Unison _will_ work 'unilaterally' (I'll study
    > the documentation and mailing list), then it is
    > perfect.

    Bummer. The download server has been dead for at least
    thirty hours, the documentation is allegedly bundled in
    the download packages, and the mailing list is also dead.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    -----------

  4. Re: Remote site synch tool

    Wes Groleau wrote:

    >> It is a perfect replacement for a local LAN task
    >> that was using rsync with some kludgey babysitting
    >> code.
    >>
    >> And if Unison _will_ work 'unilaterally' (I'll study
    >> the documentation and mailing list), then it is
    >> perfect.

    You need to have ssh and unison on both machines

    > Bummer. *The download server has been dead for at least
    > thirty hours, the documentation is allegedly bundled in
    > the download packages,

    The download server seems to up and running now

    > and the mailing list is also dead.

    Try

    --
    Mike Clarke

  5. Re: Remote site synch tool

    Mike Clarke wrote:
    > You need to have ssh and unison on both machines

    Yeah, I figured that. So that won't work for the
    websites, but it WILL replace rsync on my LAN.

    >> Bummer. The download server has been dead for at least
    >> thirty hours, the documentation is allegedly bundled in
    >> the download packages,

    > The download server seems to up and running now

    And offers an OS 10.4 version. But I found one elsewhere
    that runs on 10.3.9

    For the websites, I guess I'll just have to hack on the
    source for FTP and sitecopy.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~wgroleau/Wes

  6. Re: Remote site synch tool

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Until recently, I maintained my websites by editing local files
    > and running 'sitecopy -u '
    >
    > But now, I have PHP actually changing files on the site.
    >
    > What I would like to find now is a Mac OS 10.3.9 binary or
    > some open source, Linux/BSD code that will query the
    > server for file dates, compare them with local files AND with
    > synch records, and update both sides.

    Turns out I don't need it. Except for one subdirectory,
    all the diffs turned out to be due to bugs in ftp, sitecopy,
    and/or wget.

    That one directory can easily be moved out of the tree
    and then sitecopy will work again.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
    all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
    three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
    said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
    stay with you guys."

  7. Re: Remote site synch tool

    Wes Groleau wrote:
    > Mike Clarke wrote:
    >> You need to have ssh and unison on both machines

    > Yeah, I figured that. So that won't work for the
    > websites, but it WILL replace rsync on my LAN.

    Unison works great locally--except for one thing I forgot.
    Some of my apps still depend on HFS+ resource forks.

    --
    Wes Groleau
    Can we afford to be relevant?

+ Reply to Thread