ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT - BSD

This is a discussion on ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT - BSD ; Hi, I have just had a RAID card delivered, and the rest of the gear for my new RAID will be arriving next week. I intend to use ZFS RAID-Z. How stable is ZFS with RAID-Z in FreeBSD-CURRENT? This will ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

  1. ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

    Hi,

    I have just had a RAID card delivered, and the rest of the gear for my
    new RAID will be arriving next week.

    I intend to use ZFS RAID-Z. How stable is ZFS with RAID-Z in
    FreeBSD-CURRENT?

    This will be used in a home environment, so while stability is
    important, it isn't exactly critical. What is critical however, is that
    I can later trash the OS and install FreeBSD-RELEASE, importing the ZFS
    file system for use there. No part of the OS will be on the RAID, so
    provided the on-disk format is stable, there shouldn't be any issue
    doing this, especially if it is as easy on FreeBSD as it appears to be
    on Solaris.

    Any input welcomed. Using Solaris is a possibility, but I have more
    experience with FreeBSD, so I'd prefer to use that.

    Thanks,

    - RL

  2. Re: ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

    RL wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just had a RAID card delivered, and the rest of the gear for my
    > new RAID will be arriving next week.
    >
    > I intend to use ZFS RAID-Z. How stable is ZFS with RAID-Z in
    > FreeBSD-CURRENT?
    >

    Hello,

    I'm running off a *mirrored* tank for around 4 months with -current FreeBSD,
    with much success (only 3 panics in that time).

    What is the relation with a *RAID* card ? ZFS is supposed to run off a
    standard multi-port HD controller.

    TfH

    --
    retirez les "------%------" pour une adresse correcte

  3. Re: ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

    Thierry Herbelot wrote:
    > I'm running off a *mirrored* tank for around 4 months with -current FreeBSD,
    > with much success (only 3 panics in that time).
    >
    > What is the relation with a *RAID* card ? ZFS is supposed to run off a
    > standard multi-port HD controller.


    Thanks for your feedback. I was hoping to find a recent snapshot of
    FreeBSD-CURRENT, but these are presently on hold. Looks like I'll just
    do a 6.2 to CURRENT update.

    Technically the card isn't a RAID card at all, it is just an 8 port SATA
    controller. If it did have onboard RAID however, it would be operating
    as JBOD in order to use ZFS.

    RL

  4. Re: ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

    RL wrote:

    > Technically the card isn't a RAID card at all, it is just an 8 port SATA
    > controller. If it did have onboard RAID however, it would be operating
    > as JBOD in order to use ZFS.


    be careful if the card is a Promise, which seems to be incompatible with ZFS
    (check the -current archives)

    TfH

    --
    retirez les "------%------" pour une adresse correcte

  5. Re: ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

    On 2007-08-10, RL wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just had a RAID card delivered, and the rest of the gear for my
    > new RAID will be arriving next week.
    >
    > I intend to use ZFS RAID-Z. How stable is ZFS with RAID-Z in
    > FreeBSD-CURRENT?
    >
    > This will be used in a home environment, so while stability is
    > important, it isn't exactly critical. What is critical however, is that
    > I can later trash the OS and install FreeBSD-RELEASE, importing the ZFS
    > file system for use there. No part of the OS will be on the RAID, so
    > provided the on-disk format is stable, there shouldn't be any issue
    > doing this, especially if it is as easy on FreeBSD as it appears to be
    > on Solaris.
    >
    > Any input welcomed. Using Solaris is a possibility, but I have more
    > experience with FreeBSD, so I'd prefer to use that.


    Should be fine. The only known issue is that there are deadlocks in
    low memory situations when zil is enabled, so I use
    vfs.zfs.zil_disable=1 in /boot/loader.conf.

    Kris

  6. Re: ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

    Kris Kennaway wrote:
    > Should be fine. The only known issue is that there are deadlocks in
    > low memory situations when zil is enabled, so I use
    > vfs.zfs.zil_disable=1 in /boot/loader.conf.


    Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully memory won't be an issue, I have
    the recommended 1GB RAM, and the box will be dedicated to data storage,
    but I'll turn ZIL off for now just in case.

    While I wait for the rest of the gear to arrive, I will test it out on
    VMWare, starting with the July snapshot (downloading now), and updating
    the current.

    RL

  7. Re: ZFS in FreeBSD-CURRENT

    On 2007-08-11, RL wrote:
    > Kris Kennaway wrote:
    >> Should be fine. The only known issue is that there are deadlocks in
    >> low memory situations when zil is enabled, so I use
    >> vfs.zfs.zil_disable=1 in /boot/loader.conf.

    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion. Hopefully memory won't be an issue, I have
    > the recommended 1GB RAM, and the box will be dedicated to data storage,
    > but I'll turn ZIL off for now just in case.


    Amount of RAM is not relevant, in fact if you never reach a situation
    where all physical memory is in use, then you have wasted money on the
    RAM you are not using ;-)

    Kris

+ Reply to Thread