Xorg Upgrade is a Bitch - BSD

This is a discussion on Xorg Upgrade is a Bitch - BSD ; Okay gang, please excuse this ranting session. I tried to install mplayer the other day on my 6.2-REL server and found out it needed the new Xorg to run. Of course all the docs and people I talked to asked ...

  1. Xorg Upgrade is a Bitch

    Okay gang, please excuse this ranting session. I tried to install mplayer
    the other day on my 6.2-REL server and found out it needed the new Xorg to
    run. Of course all the docs and people I talked to asked if I had read
    /usr/ports/UPDATING. Which I had. But let me tell you there are loads of
    important steps that are not included in that document or any other of the
    well meaning replies I got for this post.

    First, you have to install portupgrade. which will probably be new territory
    for not just me, but lots of users. After that, I had to set several
    environment variables, ok cool...then even though mergebase.sh ran, it
    reported errors and files in conflict, which I could only assume I needed to
    move out of the way, so I did and prayed that I didn't wreck me system.

    Okay, cool now that doesn't upgrade Xorg, it only get's it ready to be
    upgraded. So then I did a make install clean in the /usr/ports/x11/xorg
    directory and kept crashing on the dri build. After many fruitless chats in
    #freebsd where most people would reply with RTFM, somone finally suggested
    doing rm -rf /usr/ports/*/*/work/ which I did but still the upgrade would
    crash on dri.

    So I sent e-mail to the freebsd-x11@freebsd.org with the output from the
    script file as suggested in the /usr/port/UPDATING file and the last few
    error messages when it crashed on dri. The initial reply was that my message
    was rejected because it was too long. So I shortened the original message by
    several kb and sent in on. They replied with I needed to update libdrm which
    I did but again, you have to deinstall the old version before you can
    reinstall the newer one. Then I tried to upgrade xorg again and again it
    crashed on dri. So I remembered the rm -rf /usr/ports/*/*/work/ and that got
    things working. After about 30 minutes the upgrade of Xorg was complete.

    So when I ran startx it immediately crashed saying something was in
    conflict. So I erases /etc/x11/xorg.conf and /root/xorg.conf.new and tried
    it again. This time X started but my window manager is now gone. I'm trying
    to get advice on that part now. I just want to run the simple xterm window
    manger that was there before.

  2. Re: Xorg Upgrade is a Bitch

    Sabi ni Max noong Aug 9, 11:16 am:
    > So when I ran startx it immediately crashed saying something was in
    > conflict. So I erases /etc/x11/xorg.conf and /root/xorg.conf.new and tried
    > it again. This time X started but my window manager is now gone. I'm trying
    > to get advice on that part now. I just want to run the simple xterm window
    > manger that was there before.

    Shouldn't an .xinitrc with xterm & do it?

  3. Re: Xorg Upgrade is a Bitch

    > So when I ran startx it immediately crashed saying something was in
    > conflict. So I erases /etc/x11/xorg.conf and /root/xorg.conf.new and
    > tried it again. This time X started but my window manager is now gone.
    > I'm trying to get advice on that part now. I just want to run the simple
    > xterm window manger that was there before.

    xterm window manager? You mean run an xterm in X with no window manager,
    or you want a window manager and an xterm? the easiest way to run a
    window manager is stick the full path to the window manager in .xinitrc.
    If you are now running X version 7.2, that will be in /usr/local/bin. I
    dont run gnome or kde so am not sure if they end up in some weird place
    like /opt/whatever, I'm sure someone else can verify where they are

    if you just want an xterm and no window manager, put /usr/local/bin/xterm
    in the .xinitrc file. The .xinitrc file should be in your home directory.

    Cheers

    Greg

  4. Re: Xorg Upgrade is a Bitch

    On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 07:16:20 -0400, "Max Files"
    wrote:

    >Okay gang, please excuse this ranting session. I tried to install mplayer
    >the other day on my 6.2-REL server and found out it needed the new Xorg to
    >run. Of course all the docs and people I talked to asked if I had read
    >/usr/ports/UPDATING. Which I had. But let me tell you there are loads of
    >important steps that are not included in that document or any other of the
    >well meaning replies I got for this post.

    First I read UPDATING.TXT
    >First, you have to install portupgrade. which will probably be new territory
    >for not just me, but lots of users. After that, I had to set several

    Then I installed portupgrade-devel and set one environment variable.
    >environment variables, ok cool...then even though mergebase.sh ran, it

    I didn't run mergebase at this point, following the instructions.
    >reported errors and files in conflict, which I could only assume I needed to
    >move out of the way, so I did and prayed that I didn't wreck me system.
    >
    >Okay, cool now that doesn't upgrade Xorg, it only get's it ready to be
    >upgraded. So then I did a make install clean in the /usr/ports/x11/xorg
    >directory and kept crashing on the dri build. After many fruitless chats in
    >#freebsd where most people would reply with RTFM, somone finally suggested
    >doing rm -rf /usr/ports/*/*/work/ which I did but still the upgrade would
    >crash on dri.
    >
    >So I sent e-mail to the freebsd-x11@freebsd.org with the output from the
    >script file as suggested in the /usr/port/UPDATING file and the last few
    >error messages when it crashed on dri. The initial reply was that my message
    >was rejected because it was too long. So I shortened the original message by
    >several kb and sent in on. They replied with I needed to update libdrm which
    >I did but again, you have to deinstall the old version before you can
    >reinstall the newer one. Then I tried to upgrade xorg again and again it
    >crashed on dri. So I remembered the rm -rf /usr/ports/*/*/work/ and that got
    >things working. After about 30 minutes the upgrade of Xorg was complete.
    >
    >So when I ran startx it immediately crashed saying something was in
    >conflict. So I erases /etc/x11/xorg.conf and /root/xorg.conf.new and tried
    >it again. This time X started but my window manager is now gone. I'm trying
    >to get advice on that part now. I just want to run the simple xterm window
    >manger that was there before.

    I then didn't do any of that but followed the instructions.
    Then I ran mergebase.sh and found some files in conflict. I moved them
    from /usr/X11/whatever to a temp directory in my $HOME.
    Then it all just worked. I deleted the temp files.

    Then I remarked on what a godsend the instructions were.

    Finished - piece of p*ss to use the vernacular.

    Steve..

+ Reply to Thread