Noob Networking Questions - BSD

This is a discussion on Noob Networking Questions - BSD ; Hi, I was wondering if I could get help w/ the following questions: 1. I have 3 computers connected to a WRT54G router. Is there a way that freebsd can query the router such that I don't have to explicity ...

  1. Noob Networking Questions

    Hi, I was wondering if I could get help w/ the following questions:

    1. I have 3 computers connected to a WRT54G router. Is there a way
    that freebsd can query the router such that I don't have to explicity
    put the other computers into my hosts file?

    If I want to connect to a windows machine, "mount_smbfs
    "//third_computer/whatever" /mnt", where "third_computer" not in the
    hosts file. However, to ssh, ftp, etc, I must either use the IP or
    assign the IP in the host files.

    2. I have a laptop with a wireless card and ethernet card. Both work,
    if I reboot w/ one disconnected. I have a problem while I diconnect
    hot. If "ifconfig ethernet down" and then "ifconfig wireless up", I
    must use all IP names even after "dhclient wireless". When I "netstat
    -r", the default is assigned to the ethernet card. How do I update date
    the routing table to switch to the wireless card w/o having to reboot?

    Regards,

    Monty

  2. Re: Noob Networking Questions

    :
    : 1. I have 3 computers connected to a WRT54G router. Is there a way
    : that freebsd can query the router such that I don't have to explicity
    : put the other computers into my hosts file?

    One way would be to configure the linksys as a two networks adjacent
    in netblk space, the wifi as one and the ethernet as another (perhaps
    one as 172.16.0.0/24 and the other as 172.16.1.0/24), use the linksys
    routed daemon to advertise its routes so everyone knows how to get
    everywhere else, and let the freebsd machine serve up dhcp assigning
    IPs based on the client's MACs. It's not clear where you have the
    gateway but hopefully it'll advertise its default route. You'll need
    to run the routed on the windows machines too.

    There are probably simpler ways to do it than above...

    :
    : If I want to connect to a windows machine, "mount_smbfs
    : "//third_computer/whatever" /mnt", where "third_computer" not in the
    : hosts file. However, to ssh, ftp, etc, I must either use the IP or
    : assign the IP in the host files.
    :
    : 2. I have a laptop with a wireless card and ethernet card. Both work,
    : if I reboot w/ one disconnected. I have a problem while I diconnect
    : hot. If "ifconfig ethernet down" and then "ifconfig wireless up", I
    : must use all IP names even after "dhclient wireless". When I "netstat
    : -r", the default is assigned to the ethernet card. How do I update date
    : the routing table to switch to the wireless card w/o having to reboot?

    Hoping someone else can help you with this one...

  3. Re: Noob Networking Questions

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:27:37 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:57:57 -0400, Monty Hall wrote:
    : : Hi, I was wondering if I could get help w/ the following questions:
    : :
    : : 1. I have 3 computers connected to a WRT54G router. Is there a way
    : : that freebsd can query the router such that I don't have to explicity
    : : put the other computers into my hosts file?
    :
    :
    : One way would be to configure the linksys as a two networks adjacent
    : in netblk space, the wifi as one and the ethernet as another (perhaps
    : one as 172.16.0.0/24 and the other as 172.16.1.0/24), use the linksys
    : routed daemon to advertise its routes so everyone knows how to get
    : everywhere else, and let the freebsd machine serve up dhcp assigning

    (The idea behind this being that the linksys will aggregate the nets
    and advertise routes to 172.16.0.0/23)

  4. Re: Noob Networking Questions

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:27:37 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > : On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:57:57 -0400, Monty Hall wrote:
    > : : Hi, I was wondering if I could get help w/ the following questions:
    > : :
    > : : 1. I have 3 computers connected to a WRT54G router. Is there a way
    > : : that freebsd can query the router such that I don't have to explicity
    > : : put the other computers into my hosts file?
    > :
    > :
    > : One way would be to configure the linksys as a two networks adjacent
    > : in netblk space, the wifi as one and the ethernet as another (perhaps
    > : one as 172.16.0.0/24 and the other as 172.16.1.0/24), use the linksys
    > : routed daemon to advertise its routes so everyone knows how to get
    > : everywhere else, and let the freebsd machine serve up dhcp assigning
    >
    > (The idea behind this being that the linksys will aggregate the nets
    > and advertise routes to 172.16.0.0/23)

    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how to modify the linksys routed -
    this isn't the Linux version of the router if that's what you were
    thinking.

    I was hoping that it would have been a simple config file change.
    Seeing mount_smbfs is aware of other hosts even if not in hosts file,
    it's strange to me that FreeBSD/NFS isn't out of the box (or is it?).
    I'm a newbie clinging to the FreeBSD handbook and am used to being spoon
    fed - hence my impression that it would have been as straight forward as
    a line or two in some config file.

    Monty

  5. Re: Noob Networking Questions

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:27:37 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > : On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:57:57 -0400, Monty Hall wrote:
    > : : Hi, I was wondering if I could get help w/ the following questions:
    > : :
    > : : 1. I have 3 computers connected to a WRT54G router. Is there a way
    > : : that freebsd can query the router such that I don't have to explicity
    > : : put the other computers into my hosts file?
    > :
    > :
    > : One way would be to configure the linksys as a two networks adjacent
    > : in netblk space, the wifi as one and the ethernet as another (perhaps
    > : one as 172.16.0.0/24 and the other as 172.16.1.0/24), use the linksys
    > : routed daemon to advertise its routes so everyone knows how to get
    > : everywhere else, and let the freebsd machine serve up dhcp assigning
    >
    > (The idea behind this being that the linksys will aggregate the nets
    > and advertise routes to 172.16.0.0/23)

    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how to modify the linksys routed -
    this isn't the Linux version of the router if that's what you were
    thinking.

    I was hoping that it would have been a simple config file change.
    Seeing mount_smbfs is aware of other hosts even if not in hosts file,
    it's strange to me that FreeBSD/NFS isn't out of the box (or is it?).
    I'm a newbie clinging to the FreeBSD handbook and am used to being spoon
    fed - hence my impression that it would have been as straight forward as
    a line or two in some config file.

    Monty

  6. Re: Noob Networking Questions

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 09:47:25 -0400, Monty Hall wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:27:37 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : > : On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 21:57:57 -0400, Monty Hall wrote:
    : > : : Hi, I was wondering if I could get help w/ the following questions:
    : > : :
    : > : : 1. I have 3 computers connected to a WRT54G router. Is there a way
    : > : : that freebsd can query the router such that I don't have to explicity
    : > : : put the other computers into my hosts file?
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : One way would be to configure the linksys as a two networks adjacent
    : > : in netblk space, the wifi as one and the ethernet as another (perhaps
    : > : one as 172.16.0.0/24 and the other as 172.16.1.0/24), use the linksys
    : > : routed daemon to advertise its routes so everyone knows how to get
    : > : everywhere else, and let the freebsd machine serve up dhcp assigning
    : >
    : > (The idea behind this being that the linksys will aggregate the nets
    : > and advertise routes to 172.16.0.0/23)
    :
    : Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure how to modify the linksys routed -
    : this isn't the Linux version of the router if that's what you were
    : thinking.

    This is all with the stock linksys firmware (some version of the
    WRT54G, I guess there are a bunch of them), not the linux firmware

    : I was hoping that it would have been a simple config file change.
    : Seeing mount_smbfs is aware of other hosts even if not in hosts file,
    : it's strange to me that FreeBSD/NFS isn't out of the box (or is it?).
    : I'm a newbie clinging to the FreeBSD handbook and am used to being spoon
    : fed - hence my impression that it would have been as straight forward as
    : a line or two in some config file.

    mount_smbfs is stock and can get you mounted somewhere else with an IP
    address but you're going to need Samba to do what you're looking at
    such as serving up shares and enabling browsing.

    The /usr/local/share docs for the samba port are *excellent*

+ Reply to Thread