Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release? - BSD

This is a discussion on Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release? - BSD ; I know the tree is frozen, just wondering if there's a schedule for the RC's and final release. I've got customers who're really excited to get this... Thanks! ericr...

  1. Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release?

    I know the tree is frozen, just wondering if there's a schedule for
    the RC's and final release. I've got customers who're really excited
    to get this...

    Thanks!

    ericr

  2. Re: Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release?

    erobison@gmail.com wrote:
    > I know the tree is frozen, just wondering if there's a schedule for
    > the RC's and final release. I've got customers who're really excited
    > to get this...

    Here is the "official" answer:
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/schedule.html

    Oh, and please tell your customers to keep their excitement under control.
    The release will happen when it's ready. :-)
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release?

    On 2007-08-06, erobison@gmail.com wrote:

    > I know the tree is frozen, just wondering if there's a schedule for
    > the RC's and final release. I've got customers who're really excited
    > to get this...
    >
    > Thanks!

    Not for a while yet.

    Kris

  4. Re: Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release?

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 01:35:01 +0200
    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > erobison@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I know the tree is frozen, just wondering if there's a schedule for
    > > the RC's and final release. I've got customers who're really excited
    > > to get this...

    > Here is the "official" answer:
    > http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/schedule.html
    >
    > Oh, and please tell your customers to keep their excitement under
    > control. The release will happen when it's ready. :-)

    There is much to be excited about.
    http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd7.html

    For those that haven't seen the above url, it talks about the new
    features being added to FBSD-7. I especially like the move to the XFS
    file system and GCC stack protection. From what I gather DTrace will
    also be included but not enabled by default due to some license
    restrictions.

  5. Re: Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release?

    Timmy wrote:
    > There is much to be excited about.
    > http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd7.html
    >
    > For those that haven't seen the above url, it talks about the new
    > features being added to FBSD-7. I especially like the move to the XFS
    > file system and GCC stack protection. From what I gather DTrace will

    Funny, the URL above doesn't mention 'xfs' at all. But perhaps you were
    thinking about ZFS?
    Then you should re-read the information again. Yes, ZFS will be
    _available_ in 7.0, it will not replace ufs.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  6. Re: Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release?

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:58:08 +0200
    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > Timmy wrote:
    > > There is much to be excited about.
    > > http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd7.html
    > >
    > > For those that haven't seen the above url, it talks about the new
    > > features being added to FBSD-7. I especially like the move to the
    > > XFS file system and GCC stack protection. From what I gather DTrace
    > > will

    > Funny, the URL above doesn't mention 'xfs' at all. But perhaps you
    > were thinking about ZFS?

    Yes, my mistake...

    > Then you should re-read the information again. Yes, ZFS will be
    > _available_ in 7.0, it will not replace ufs.

    Will do..

  7. Re: Any word on when 7.0 RELEASE will release?

    On 2007-08-08, Timmy wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 01:35:01 +0200
    > Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    >
    >> erobison@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > I know the tree is frozen, just wondering if there's a schedule for
    >> > the RC's and final release. I've got customers who're really excited
    >> > to get this...

    >> Here is the "official" answer:
    >> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.0R/schedule.html
    >>
    >> Oh, and please tell your customers to keep their excitement under
    >> control. The release will happen when it's ready. :-)

    > There is much to be excited about.
    > http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd7.html
    >
    > For those that haven't seen the above url, it talks about the new
    > features being added to FBSD-7. I especially like the move to the XFS
    > file system and GCC stack protection. From what I gather DTrace will
    > also be included but not enabled by default due to some license
    > restrictions.

    No, it won't be included. It could be but the developer who was
    working on that chose not to integrate it because it *couldn't* be
    enabled by default (because it would relicense the kernel), i.e. he
    didn't want to do it if it was only an optional extra.

    Kris

+ Reply to Thread