6.2 & Strange HDD problem - BSD

This is a discussion on 6.2 & Strange HDD problem - BSD ; Hi, During post-installation procedure, while files are written from cdrom (or FTP) onto hard disk drive, the following error occurs: - ad4: TIMEOUT WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA xxxxxxxxx fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode. - ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    -
    ad4: TIMEOUT WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA xxxxxxxxx

    fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
    -

    where xxxxxxxxxx values changes at every installation attempt.

    ad4 is a sata disk driven by a silicon image 3512 sata chip, fully
    supported by freebsd.

    The exact nature of the problem is not clear for me.

    Can anyone help?

    Many thanks and sorry for the bad english.

  2. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Glenn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > During post-installation procedure, while files are written from cdrom
    > (or FTP) onto hard disk drive, the following error occurs:
    >

    > -
    > ad4: TIMEOUT WRITE_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA xxxxxxxxx
    >
    > fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode.
    > -
    >
    > where xxxxxxxxxx values changes at every installation attempt.
    >
    > ad4 is a sata disk driven by a silicon image 3512 sata chip, fully
    > supported by freebsd.
    >

    > The exact nature of the problem is not clear for me.
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Many thanks and sorry for the bad english.

    are you sure your SATA drive is in good working order? maybe the drive
    is failing and you should replace it.

    If it's new enough, there should be a warranty on it. I just exchanged
    a PATA 200GB because of a logic board short that caused various trouble
    for me, free of charge.

    HTH

  3. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 13:04:39 -0600, Tim Judd
    wrote:

    >are you sure your SATA drive is in good working order? maybe the drive
    >is failing and you should replace it.
    >
    >If it's new enough, there should be a warranty on it. I just exchanged
    >a PATA 200GB because of a logic board short that caused various trouble
    >for me, free of charge.
    >
    >HTH

    Thanks for quick reply...

    Mhh.. after a short search in xBSD mailing lists archives, my sata
    chip, a silicon image 3512, seems to be very badly supported by
    freebsd, although supported...

    Hard Drive seems to be in a good order, at least by factory diagnostic
    software...

    At this point I'm sure at 90% the problem is sata controller chip...
    :-\

  4. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Glenn wrote:
    > Mhh.. after a short search in xBSD mailing lists archives, my sata
    > chip, a silicon image 3512, seems to be very badly supported by
    > freebsd, although supported...
    >
    > Hard Drive seems to be in a good order, at least by factory diagnostic
    > software...
    >
    > At this point I'm sure at 90% the problem is sata controller chip...
    > :-\

    If it makes you feel better (no reason why it
    should, though) I am having the same problem.
    My SATA controller is the Adaptec 1210SA
    (SiI 3112, I think).

    It's OK when there is no load on the system,
    but when things get a little busier I get
    timeouts and sometimes the system halts or
    reboots (depending which blocks timed out,
    I guess.)

    Last time it died was doing a find / | wc
    while a mirror drive was synchronizing.

    I've reached the same conclusion as you,
    only I'm about 95% sure Maybe better
    SATA cables would help... But after reading
    so many bad things about this SATA card,
    I prefer to return it or bin it or give it
    to somebody I don't like.

    Steve.

  5. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Steve Adam wrote:
    > Glenn wrote:
    >> Mhh.. after a short search in xBSD mailing lists archives, my sata
    >> chip, a silicon image 3512, seems to be very badly supported by
    >> freebsd, although supported...
    >>
    >> Hard Drive seems to be in a good order, at least by factory diagnostic
    >> software...
    >>
    >> At this point I'm sure at 90% the problem is sata controller chip...
    >> :-\

    > If it makes you feel better (no reason why it
    > should, though) I am having the same problem.
    > My SATA controller is the Adaptec 1210SA
    > (SiI 3112, I think).
    >
    > It's OK when there is no load on the system,
    > but when things get a little busier I get
    > timeouts and sometimes the system halts or
    > reboots (depending which blocks timed out,
    > I guess.)
    >
    > Last time it died was doing a find / | wc
    > while a mirror drive was synchronizing.
    >
    > I've reached the same conclusion as you,
    > only I'm about 95% sure Maybe better
    > SATA cables would help... But after reading
    > so many bad things about this SATA card,
    > I prefer to return it or bin it or give it
    > to somebody I don't like.
    >
    > Steve.

    whoever that might be, Steve, could be running windows. In that case,
    said person would appreciate a fine, working SATA controller... for free.

  6. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Tim Judd wrote:

    > whoever that might be, Steve, could be running windows. In that case,
    > said person would appreciate a fine, working SATA controller... for free.

    A quick update... I phoned the guy I bought the
    card from and he recommended a firmware update.
    I did this (got the file from www.adaptec.com),
    and I've been hammering the disks for the last 20
    minutes or so and have had no timeouts so far.
    I'll let you know if I have further problems.

    Steve.

  7. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Steve Adam wrote:
    > Tim Judd wrote:
    >>
    >> whoever that might be, Steve, could be running windows. In that case,
    >> said person would appreciate a fine, working SATA controller... for free.

    > A quick update... I phoned the guy I bought the
    > card from and he recommended a firmware update.
    > I did this (got the file from www.adaptec.com),
    > and I've been hammering the disks for the last 20
    > minutes or so and have had no timeouts so far.
    > I'll let you know if I have further problems.

    Ooops... Cancel that positive feeling... The
    system just froze. No timeouts or other
    error messages, but no activity either.

    Time for a gmirror insert Adaptec_Executive 1210SA

    Steve.

  8. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 00:52:47 +1000, Steve Adam
    wrote:

    >If it makes you feel better (no reason why it
    >should, though) I am having the same problem.
    >My SATA controller is the Adaptec 1210SA
    >(SiI 3112, I think).
    >
    >It's OK when there is no load on the system,
    >but when things get a little busier I get
    >timeouts and sometimes the system halts or
    >reboots (depending which blocks timed out,
    >I guess.)
    >
    >Last time it died was doing a find / | wc
    >while a mirror drive was synchronizing.
    >
    >I've reached the same conclusion as you,
    >only I'm about 95% sure Maybe better
    >SATA cables would help... But after reading
    >so many bad things about this SATA card,
    >I prefer to return it or bin it or give it
    >to somebody I don't like.
    >
    >Steve.

    Many thanks for the reply.

    Yes, the system freezes or reboot when a little bit of load occurs...

    Can you tell me about a sata pci card that surely works on freebsd?
    RAID is not necessary for me.

    Tks again.

  9. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 04:01:44 GMT, Steve Adam
    wrote:

    >Ooops... Cancel that positive feeling... The
    >system just froze. No timeouts or other
    >error messages, but no activity either.
    >
    >Time for a gmirror insert Adaptec_Executive 1210SA
    >
    >Steve.

    However might be better, by freebsd team, to support only the hardware
    that can be supported at 100%, on not support it at all.

    Just IMHO.

  10. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Glenn Middleton wrote:
    > Can you tell me about a sata pci card that surely works on freebsd?
    > RAID is not necessary for me.

    I can't answer from personal experience, but I read
    someone else recommending highpoint or promise and
    another brand that I can't remember ("3" something).

    I have arranged to buy a Promise SATA300 TX4 which
    has 4 ports, no RAID, and seems reasonably priced.

    I'll let you know how it goes, after it arrives.

    Steve.

  11. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Glenn Middleton wrote:
    > However might be better, by freebsd team, to support only the hardware
    > that can be supported at 100%, on not support it at all.

    Nothing is ever that simple, though. Perhaps most
    users of SiI controllers have no problems at all.

    Steve.

  12. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 02:23:34 GMT, Steve Adam
    wrote:

    >I have arranged to buy a Promise SATA300 TX4 which
    >has 4 ports, no RAID, and seems reasonably priced.
    >
    >I'll let you know how it goes, after it arrives.
    >
    >Steve.

    Many thanks, Steve..

  13. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Tim Judd wrote:
    > Steve Adam wrote:
    >> My SATA controller is the Adaptec 1210SA
    >> (SiI 3112, I think).

    >> SATA cables would help... But after reading
    >> so many bad things about this SATA card,
    >> I prefer to return it or bin it or give it
    >> to somebody I don't like.

    > whoever that might be, Steve, could be running windows. In that case,
    > said person would appreciate a fine, working SATA controller... for free.

    Tim, would you expect it to work OK on
    a windows PC? If so then it's worth keeping

    Steve.

  14. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Glenn Middleton wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I have arranged to buy a Promise SATA300 TX4 which
    >> has 4 ports, no RAID, and seems reasonably priced.
    >>
    >> I'll let you know how it goes, after it arrives.

    > Many thanks, Steve..

    Hi again, Glenn,

    The Promise card arrived today, and I installed it
    and repeated some activities that were causing problems
    with the other card. Basically this was to have
    lots of different processes doing file operations
    while gmirror was synchronizing ad6.

    After several hours of this, I've not yet had a
    single timeout error, hang, or crash. So, it's
    looking good so far. I'm reasonably satisfied that
    the system will be reliably now.

    There is one point of interest if you decide to
    buy the same model Promise card. The labelling of
    the ports on the card did not match the order in
    which FreeBSD sees them. I thought that was odd,
    though obviously no big deal.

    TX4 port 1 /dev/ad10
    TX4 port 2 /dev/ad6
    TX4 port 3 /dev/ad4
    TX4 port 4 /dev/ad8

    Another point of interest is that the new card
    did not show any performance difference that
    I could see, though it's SATA 300 while the
    other card is a 150.

    Both show a touch over 40MB/second on each drive while
    synchronizing a mirror with no other system activity.

    Steve.

  15. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:42:31 +1000
    Steve Adam wrote:

    > Another point of interest is that the new card
    > did not show any performance difference that
    > I could see, though it's SATA 300 while the
    > other card is a 150.

    I don't think there exist any single drives that can produce data
    faster than SATA 150 can handle, a RAID array with a single SATA connection
    probably can.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  16. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:36:47 UTC, Steve O'Hara-Smith
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:42:31 +1000
    > Steve Adam wrote:
    >
    > > Another point of interest is that the new card
    > > did not show any performance difference that
    > > I could see, though it's SATA 300 while the
    > > other card is a 150.

    > I don't think there exist any single drives that can produce data
    > faster than SATA 150 can handle, a RAID array with a single SATA connection
    > probably can.

    Surely they can deliver data from the cache faster than that?

    --
    Bob Eager
    begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

  17. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-ZJdIDqxstdwk@rikki.tavi.co.uk>,
    Bob Eager wrote:
    >On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:36:47 UTC, Steve O'Hara-Smith
    >wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:42:31 +1000
    >> Steve Adam wrote:
    >>
    >> > Another point of interest is that the new card
    >> > did not show any performance difference that
    >> > I could see, though it's SATA 300 while the
    >> > other card is a 150.

    >> I don't think there exist any single drives that can produce data
    >> faster than SATA 150 can handle, a RAID array with a single SATA connection
    >> probably can.

    >Surely they can deliver data from the cache faster than that?

    >--
    >Bob Eager
    >begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

    It's not the problem of delivering data from cache, but getting
    the data from the platter into the cache.

    Check the web-sites for you favorite drive, and go to the technical
    specs section and look for the data transfer rate from platter to
    cache.

    On the fastest drives it would take two drives to get near the
    data rate that the interface can handle.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  18. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    Bill Vermillion wrote:
    > It's not the problem of delivering data from cache, but getting
    > the data from the platter into the cache.

    Yes... I thought about this after making that post.

    In this case there are two disks in the system
    and gmirror is copying data from one to the other.
    It takes close to 4 hours to synchronize the disk.

    systat :iostat shows both drives at about 40MB/sec
    so the total throughput is 80MB/Sec.

    I've noticed that when the synchronization
    is nearing the end the data rate drops off as
    it gets closer to 100% complete.

    Steve.

  19. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On 2 Aug 2007 16:29:42 GMT
    "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:36:47 UTC, Steve O'Hara-Smith
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:42:31 +1000
    > > Steve Adam wrote:
    > >
    > > > Another point of interest is that the new card
    > > > did not show any performance difference that
    > > > I could see, though it's SATA 300 while the
    > > > other card is a 150.

    > > I don't think there exist any single drives that can produce
    > > data faster than SATA 150 can handle, a RAID array with a single SATA
    > > connection probably can.

    > Surely they can deliver data from the cache faster than that?

    Oh sure they can burst from the cache faster than that - but
    sustained rates are way lower - more than 50MB/s is impressive.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  20. Re: 6.2 & Strange HDD problem

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 01:32:45 UTC, bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) wrote:

    > In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-ZJdIDqxstdwk@rikki.tavi.co.uk>,
    > Bob Eager wrote:
    > >On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:36:47 UTC, Steve O'Hara-Smith
    > >wrote:

    > >> I don't think there exist any single drives that can produce data
    > >> faster than SATA 150 can handle, a RAID array with a single SATA connection
    > >> probably can.

    > >Surely they can deliver data from the cache faster than that?

    > >--
    > >Bob Eager
    > >begin 123 a new life...take up Extreme Ironing!

    > It's not the problem of delivering data from cache, but getting
    > the data from the platter into the cache.

    You miss the point.

    The burst rate from the cache is higher, and that is what can exceed the
    150kB/s.

    > Check the web-sites for you favorite drive, and go to the technical
    > specs section and look for the data transfer rate from platter to
    > cache.

    I'm perfectly aware of that, thank you. I never buy a disk without
    reading (and understanding) its specs first.