Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based? - BSD

This is a discussion on Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based? - BSD ; On 22 Jul 2007 23:10:07 GMT Lars Eighner wrote: > Who cares what characters they use in Outer Slobovia? ISO-8859-1(5) > will cover French, Italian, Latin, English, and Spanish at least. How Already you need two iso8859- codes - and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

  1. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    On 22 Jul 2007 23:10:07 GMT
    Lars Eighner wrote:

    > Who cares what characters they use in Outer Slobovia? ISO-8859-1(5)
    > will cover French, Italian, Latin, English, and Spanish at least. How

    Already you need two iso8859- codes - and so ambiguity creeps in.

    > many of the missing languages do you read or write? (Oh yeah, there

    Doesn't matter, one thing I see increasingly often is people
    putting their name in emails in it's proper form. Oh and of course many of
    us speak this language:

    ℕ ⊆ ℕ₀ ⊂ ℤ ⊂ ℚ ⊂ ℝ ⊂ ℂ

    ┌─────┐
    │a²+b³
    │─────
    ⎷ c₈

    > don't seem to be freeBSD locales for Gaelic languages, anyway).

    Irish is easy anyway just needing the occasional fada.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  2. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    In article ,
    Andrew Reilly wrote:
    >On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:26:08 +0000, Umma Gumma wrote:

    >> However, now I'm wrestling with
    >> how to load it up when FreeBSD loads. Any hints?

    >Many people start FreeBSD in text console mode, and then run "startx"
    >after logging in. These people are weird. :-)

    And there are people like me who have visual problems so I always
    run in text mode. Though I've often been called 'weird' :-)

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  3. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    In article , Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >In article ,
    >Andrew Reilly wrote:
    >
    >>Many people start FreeBSD in text console mode, and then run "startx"
    >>after logging in. These people are weird. :-)

    Not all of us.... :-)

    >And there are people like me who have visual problems so I always
    >run in text mode. Though I've often been called 'weird' :-)

    Then there are those of us who wear glasses (I have a special pair just
    for working at my computers) to correct the visual problems, and use X
    for multiple xterms on one screen (or, for reading news, one very large
    xterm). :-) Oh, and for my window manager: ctwm (twm, except with
    multiple virtual workspaces---helps me keep things more organized).

    Later,
    --jim

    PS: One other reason for using X is Tk. Among other things, I'm the
    author of a Tcl/Tk based freeware hurricane tracking system
    called JStrack (prn. "J S track"). See www.jstrack.org for info
    (I've got other stuff there, too, btw), if you're curious.

    --
    73 DE N5IAL (/4) | Peter da Silva: No, try "rm -rf /"
    spooky130@cox.net | Dave Aronson: As your life flashes before

  4. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    In article <46aa02f1$0$28159$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,
    Jim wrote:
    >In article , Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>In article ,
    >>Andrew Reilly wrote:

    >>>Many people start FreeBSD in text console mode, and then run "startx"
    >>>after logging in. These people are weird. :-)

    >Not all of us.... :-)

    >>And there are people like me who have visual problems so I always
    >>run in text mode. Though I've often been called 'weird' :-)

    >Then there are those of us who wear glasses (I have a special pair just
    >for working at my computers) to correct the visual problems, and use X
    >for multiple xterms on one screen (or, for reading news, one very large
    >xterm). :-) Oh, and for my window manager: ctwm (twm, except with
    >multiple virtual workspaces---helps me keep things more organized).

    Oh I do wear glasses - but there are still problems. I've had
    detached retinas in both eyes - about 10 years apart - and then
    that makes the maximum resolution much lower. About $30,000 worth
    of operations over the years still lets me see - but not as well as
    I used to. Better than not being able to see at all.

    And I have things organized in my mind since I've been
    using/admining Unix systems since 1983. After awhile you just
    tend to KNOW where things are.

    I read news in text mode, still using trn - as it works well for
    me. And I have a news-server on my own machine for blazing speed
    :-)

    >PS: One other reason for using X is Tk. Among other things, I'm the
    > author of a Tcl/Tk based freeware hurricane tracking system
    > called JStrack (prn. "J S track"). See www.jstrack.org for info
    > (I've got other stuff there, too, btw), if you're curious.

    Interesting. I'll try to check it out later.

    Bill

    >--
    >73 DE N5IAL (/4) | Peter da Silva: No, try "rm -rf /"
    >spooky130@cox.net | Dave Aronson: As your life flashes before
    >ICBM / Hurricane: | your eyes, in the unit of time known as an
    > 30.39735N 86.60439W | ohnosecond.... (alt.sysadmin.recovery)

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  5. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) writes:

    > I read news in text mode, still using trn - as it works well for
    > me. And I have a news-server on my own machine for blazing speed
    > :-)

    Back when I did a lot of my Unix work logged in from a Commodore 128
    running Craig Bruce's 80-column ACEterm, I did everything from within
    Emacs -- mail, news, shells, irc, everything. It was a bit limiting,
    but ever so cool.

    --
    Aaron -- aaron.baugher.biz

    "Take what you need and leave the rest."

  6. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    In article , Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >In article <46aa02f1$0$28159$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,

    >And I have things organized in my mind since I've been
    >using/admining Unix systems since 1983. After awhile you just
    >tend to KNOW where things are.

    True...but I still find that ctwm (instead of plain twm) helps,
    particularly when my mind is doing as much multiprocessing as the Unix
    system(s) I'm running. But there's no one right answer, except the one
    that works for the person in question....that's my big gripe with
    corporate/military comm folks---they tend to think that their way is
    always the best for you (whether you like it or not), and they'll
    happily shove it down your throat and force you to use it (or at least,
    make them think you're using it...cygwin plus Zsh[1] are your friends
    in such environments!).

    >I read news in text mode, still using trn

    Wait a minute here.... I know there used to be "rn", which trn replaced,
    but I'm not aware of the existence of another text news reader (nor do I
    wish to---I've been completely happy with trn since it took over where rn
    left off). Now...I don't use trn for binaries---for each job, there is
    a best-fit tool. :-)

    >And I have a news-server on my own machine for blazing speed

    I used to do that via UUCP, back before cable companies started getting
    into the high-speed Internet (actually, all the way back to the public
    access Unix days). Now I access newsgroups via NNTP, which, of course,
    has its ups and downs (server up...server down...).

    Later,
    --jim

    [1] Two things: first, I know that not everyone prefers Zsh. I do.
    Second, I use a Zsh that is external to cygwin---I never did get
    the cygwin zsh to behave as nicely, but then, since I already
    had a working Zsh, I didn't try very hard, either.

    --
    73 DE N5IAL (/4) | DMR: So fsck was originally called
    spooky130@cox.net | something else.

  7. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    In article , wrote:
    >In article , Bill Vermillion wrote:
    >>In article <46aa02f1$0$28159$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.co m>,

    >>And I have things organized in my mind since I've been
    >>using/admining Unix systems since 1983. After awhile you just
    >>tend to KNOW where things are.

    >True...but I still find that ctwm (instead of plain twm) helps,
    >particularly when my mind is doing as much multiprocessing as the Unix
    >system(s) I'm running. But there's no one right answer, except the one
    >that works for the person in question....that's my big gripe with
    >corporate/military comm folks---they tend to think that their way is
    >always the best for you (whether you like it or not), and they'll
    >happily shove it down your throat and force you to use it (or at least,
    >make them think you're using it...cygwin plus Zsh[1] are your friends
    >in such environments!).

    I'm a ksh person myself. The real one, not the clone.

    >>I read news in text mode, still using trn

    >Wait a minute here.... I know there used to be "rn", which trn
    >replaced, but I'm not aware of the existence of another text news
    >reader (nor do I wish to---I've been completely happy with trn
    >since it took over where rn left off). Now...I don't use trn for
    >binaries---for each job, there is a best-fit tool. :-)

    Well there are 104 entries in the /usr/ports/news directory.
    However I'm using trn 3.6 - showing a 20 NOV 1994 date in the
    sources. Never moved to trn4.

    >>And I have a news-server on my own machine for blazing speed

    >I used to do that via UUCP, back before cable companies started getting
    >into the high-speed Internet (actually, all the way back to the public
    >access Unix days). Now I access newsgroups via NNTP, which, of course,
    >has its ups and downs (server up...server down...).

    In the UUCP days I had two Telebit Trailblazers - both running near
    maximum often - as I was feeding about 20 or 30 sites - some from
    out of state. We had 3 servers locally that interconnected, and
    the main one got two news feeds, one from Concurrent and another
    from GE. The other site got a feed from Concurrent [or was it
    Convergent - it has been about 20 years] and I got a feed from GE.
    That way we had redundancy for the Orlando market.

    >Later,
    > --jim

    >[1] Two things: first, I know that not everyone prefers Zsh. I do.
    > Second, I use a Zsh that is external to cygwin---I never did get
    > the cygwin zsh to behave as nicely, but then, since I already
    > had a working Zsh, I didn't try very hard, either.

    Hardly use the MS side of things. I tried cygwin - but currently
    use the SFU - Services For Unix - from Microsoft. It has all the
    Unix tools I need. I do need to get the REAL ksh from the AT&T
    site however. It really is nice to use 'find' instead of the
    MS search tool.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  8. Unix find vs. MS find (was: Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?)

    On 2007-07-29, Bill Vermillion scribbled these
    curious markings:
    > Hardly use the MS side of things. I tried cygwin - but currently
    > use the SFU - Services For Unix - from Microsoft. It has all the
    > Unix tools I need. I do need to get the REAL ksh from the AT&T
    > site however. It really is nice to use 'find' instead of the
    > MS search tool.

    Have you tried the perl power tools distribution? It includes all kinds
    of tools, written in Perl (and written according to *BSD* standards, not
    the silly GNU ones). You get most of the BSD userland that matters,
    wherever perl will run. Check it out at
    http://search.cpan.org/dist/ppt/ . Granted, there aren't any shells in
    the distribution, but other than that it's pretty useful.

    Best Regards,
    Christopher Nehren
    --
    Yaakov, And it seems to me that the only people going on about
    "freedom" these days are RMS and Bush.

  9. Re: Nub question: FreeBSD is graphic or text based?

    bv@wjv.com (Bill Vermillion) writes:

    > In the UUCP days I had two Telebit Trailblazers - both running near
    > maximum often - as I was feeding about 20 or 30 sites - some from
    > out of state.

    That's exactly how we got our news feed at the ISP I worked for in the
    mid-90s: one Telebit at our place, the other at a company we worked
    for on the side that had a news feed over their T1. Running UUCP at
    9600bps, with that special mode they had when talking to each other
    than pushed them up around 19.2, they seemed to be loaded around the
    clock.

    When that couldn't keep up anymore, we got a satellite feed (can't
    remember the name of the company), but that was horrible on
    reliability, so we kept using UUCP for a while to fill in what the
    dish missed.

    --
    Aaron -- aaron.baugher.biz

+ Reply to Thread