Your experience with FreeBSD on Opteron (Sun Fire X2100 M2) - BSD

This is a discussion on Your experience with FreeBSD on Opteron (Sun Fire X2100 M2) - BSD ; Hello my favourite Newsgroup, I am considering the purchase of a "Sun Fire X2100 M2" rackmount server which is a dual-core Opteron based system, which I am intended to run exclusively FreeBSD on. As far as I know, I should ...

  1. Your experience with FreeBSD on Opteron (Sun Fire X2100 M2)

    Hello my favourite Newsgroup,

    I am considering the purchase of a "Sun Fire X2100 M2" rackmount server
    which is a dual-core Opteron based system, which I am intended to run
    exclusively FreeBSD on.

    As far as I know, I should be able to run either one of FreeBSD/amd64 and
    FreeBSD/i386 on this hardware.
    I have only used FreeBSD/i386 until know, but I assume that FreeBSD/amd64
    will not be any different at all. Is this assumption correct or should I
    expect any difference regarding installation, and daily operation or
    maintenance?

    Considering that the amount of memory in this system will never be expanded
    above 4GB, are there any benefits with using amd64 or are there any
    disadvantages with using i386 instead on this hardware? This is with
    special interest to any noticable increase or decrease in
    performance/speed, reliability or the availability of ports (the sw in the
    ports-collection) and hardware/driver support.

    It would be useful if somebody could confirm the reliable operation of the
    sata raid and the four network interfaces (2 broadcom Gbit and 2 nvidia
    Gbit). I found references that the nfe driver here
    http://www.se.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~shi...eebsd-nfe.html
    can be used instead of the nve driver in the system so that the nvidia Gbit
    interfaces will work. Still, a confirmation would be reassuring.

    And last but not least, I am intended to run the following services on these
    machines: Apache2, postfix, procmail, fetchmail, dovecot or cyrus-imap with
    ssl, spamassasin, clamav, amavisd-new, ssh & sftp, proftpd or vsftpd,
    isc-dhcp-server, pf and pflog with altq, postgresql 8, mysql, php5 or php4
    and opnvpn. I expect all of these to compile and work on FreeBSD/amd64 the
    same way as on FreeBSD/i386. Is there any reason to expect that any of the
    above is not working (doesn't compile, doesn't work reliably, etc) on
    FreeBSD/amd64?

    If you have personal experience in any of the above mentioned topics (either
    on a Sun Fire X2100/X2200 or on any Opteron based machine), please take a
    minute to share it with me. Your comments are very much appreciated!
    Thank you!

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  2. Re: Your experience with FreeBSD on Opteron (Sun Fire X2100 M2)

    >And last but not least, I am intended to run the following services on these
    >machines: Apache2, postfix, procmail, fetchmail, dovecot or cyrus-imap with
    >ssl, spamassasin, clamav, amavisd-new, ssh & sftp, proftpd or vsftpd,
    >isc-dhcp-server, pf and pflog with altq, postgresql 8, mysql, php5 or php4
    >and opnvpn. I expect all of these to compile and work on FreeBSD/amd64 the
    >same way as on FreeBSD/i386. Is there any reason to expect that any of the
    >above is not working (doesn't compile, doesn't work reliably, etc) on
    >FreeBSD/amd64?

    I have an AMD64 server but I run FreeBSD i386 on it because there are
    still a fair number of ports that don't work in 64 bits. You might go
    through the Makefiles in the ports tree and be sure none of the ones
    for the ports you care about are marked broken in 64 bit mode.

+ Reply to Thread