Sound card recommendation? - BSD

This is a discussion on Sound card recommendation? - BSD ; After going though my entire stock of sound cards to find one that works with 6.2 i386 can anyone recommend a decent quality one that works? So far I've tried a Creative Audigy NX2 USB (with snd_uaudio loaded in loader.conf) ...

  1. Sound card recommendation?

    After going though my entire stock of sound cards to find one that works
    with 6.2 i386 can anyone recommend a decent quality one that works?

    So far I've tried a Creative Audigy NX2 USB (with snd_uaudio loaded in
    loader.conf) - drivers seem to load but any attempt to control or use
    the device via Gnome result in a reboot!

    Creative SB 24-bit - tried snd_emu10k1 but fails to recognise card.
    Looked at the chip on board but it does not appear to have any emu10k
    numbers but a CT5880. Just realised I should possibly try snd_es137x?

    Mobo on-board AC97 - so far unable to determine what chipset, FreeBSD
    fails to recognise it. snd_csa possibly?

    Finally a Trust card with CMI8338 - this is not detected but works when
    snd_cmi is loaded. I'd like to improve on this as it's only a basic card.

    Thanks,
    --
    Nick B.

  2. Re: Sound card recommendation?

    Nick B. wrote:
    > After going though my entire stock of sound cards to find one that works
    > with 6.2 i386 can anyone recommend a decent quality one that works?
    >
    > So far I've tried a Creative Audigy NX2 USB (with snd_uaudio loaded in
    > loader.conf) - drivers seem to load but any attempt to control or use
    > the device via Gnome result in a reboot!
    >
    > Creative SB 24-bit - tried snd_emu10k1 but fails to recognise card.
    > Looked at the chip on board but it does not appear to have any emu10k
    > numbers but a CT5880. Just realised I should possibly try snd_es137x?

    Try 'kldload snd_driver' and let the system work it out. I'm pretty
    sure I've used that sound card.

    See

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...und-setup.html

  3. Re: Sound card recommendation?

    Warren Block wrote:
    > Nick B. wrote:
    >> After going though my entire stock of sound cards to find one that works
    >> with 6.2 i386 can anyone recommend a decent quality one that works?
    >>
    >> So far I've tried a Creative Audigy NX2 USB (with snd_uaudio loaded in
    >> loader.conf) - drivers seem to load but any attempt to control or use
    >> the device via Gnome result in a reboot!
    >>
    >> Creative SB 24-bit - tried snd_emu10k1 but fails to recognise card.
    >> Looked at the chip on board but it does not appear to have any emu10k
    >> numbers but a CT5880. Just realised I should possibly try snd_es137x?

    I managed to ID this via pciconf -lv:
    vendor = 'Creative Labs'
    device = 'CA0106-DAT Audigy LS'
    class = multimedia
    subclass = audio

    But there doesn't seem to be a module that works for this.

    > Try 'kldload snd_driver' and let the system work it out. I'm pretty
    > sure I've used that sound card.

    Thanks. Tried this but didn't work in my case, it failed to recognise any.

    Back to the on-board sound, I used pciconf -lv again:
    vendor = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device = 'VT8233/33A/8235/8237 AC97 Enhanced Audio Controller'
    class = multimedia
    subclass = audio

    So I found the snd_via8233 works with this.

    Sorted for now but I'd like to get 5.1 sound back if it's at all possible.

    --
    Nick B.

+ Reply to Thread