Installation problem with FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on Installation problem with FreeBSD - BSD ; For software development reasons i must install FreeBSD 6.2 i386 and amd64 version on one disk. I started with amd64 and installed into the first partition - that worked fine. Then i created another partition and installed i386 there. Everything ...

  1. Installation problem with FreeBSD

    For software development reasons i must install FreeBSD 6.2 i386 and
    amd64 version on one disk.
    I started with amd64 and installed into the first partition - that
    worked fine.

    Then i created another partition and installed i386 there. Everything
    looked fine, but after reboot whenever i try to boot from the second
    partition it will load the amd64 version.

    I've choosen "nothing" in the MBR question. So the boot record is in
    the partition. I'm using grub which is installed from linux (partition
    3) and controls the MBR. The two FreeBSDs are booted with the
    chainload feature.

    What am i doing wrong?
    Looks like FreeBSD is scanning the slices and boots the first it finds.

  2. Re: Installation problem with FreeBSD

    llothar wrote:
    > For software development reasons i must install FreeBSD 6.2 i386 and
    > amd64 version on one disk.
    > I started with amd64 and installed into the first partition - that
    > worked fine.
    >
    > Then i created another partition and installed i386 there. Everything
    > looked fine, but after reboot whenever i try to boot from the second
    > partition it will load the amd64 version.
    >
    > I've choosen "nothing" in the MBR question. So the boot record is in
    > the partition. I'm using grub which is installed from linux (partition
    > 3) and controls the MBR. The two FreeBSDs are booted with the
    > chainload feature.
    >
    > What am i doing wrong?

    Try to boot /boot/loader with grub, directly.

    --

    Michel TALON

  3. Re: Installation problem with FreeBSD

    llothar wrote:
    > Looks like FreeBSD is scanning the slices and boots the first it finds.

    Yes, the FreeBSD loader boots the first _active_ FreeBSD slice it finds.
    Easy workaround: when you want to change, use the boot0cfg or fdisk
    commands in FreeBSD to set the other FreeBSD slice active, then reboot.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: Installation problem with FreeBSD

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:45:10 +0200, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > llothar wrote:
    >> Looks like FreeBSD is scanning the slices and boots the first it finds.

    > Yes, the FreeBSD loader boots the first _active_ FreeBSD slice it finds.
    > Easy workaround: when you want to change, use the boot0cfg or fdisk
    > commands in FreeBSD to set the other FreeBSD slice active, then reboot.

    Since you mentioned GRUB, look at the hide/unhide commands.
    You can tailor your grub.conf file in order to hide and unhide partitions
    at your will.
    That's what I do on my system, and it works fine.

    You can do things like this:

    title FreeBSD
    hide (hd0,0)
    unhide (hd0,2)