New to FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on New to FreeBSD - BSD ; Hi to all. My name is Ivan and I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in Linux, but it was a long time ago. I downloaded the 5.5 release and I plan installing it. I downloaded also ...

  1. New to FreeBSD

    Hi to all.

    My name is Ivan and I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in
    Linux, but it was a long time ago. I downloaded the 5.5 release and I
    plan installing it. I downloaded also all availible docs. I wondered
    if it is ok to start with this. And, also, I have an integrated GPU,
    it works well on FreeBSD?

    Thanks,
    Ivan

  2. Re: New to FreeBSD

    Zenzo wrote:
    > Hi to all.
    >
    > My name is Ivan and I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in
    > Linux, but it was a long time ago. I downloaded the 5.5 release and I
    > plan installing it. I downloaded also all availible docs. I wondered
    > if it is ok to start with this. And, also, I have an integrated GPU,
    > it works well on FreeBSD?

    All your answers come back one question... are you wanting to learn it as a
    server or are you looking to use it as workstation?
    Server? Then 5.5 is fine, 6.2 would be better
    Worstation? The PC-BSD would be better

  3. Re: New to FreeBSD

    Begin <2tidnbvS2btd9JXbnZ2dnUVZ_ruknZ2d@ctc.net>
    On 2007-03-27, Walter Vaughan wrote:
    >> [...] I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in Linux, but
    >> it was a long time ago. I downloaded the 5.5 release and I plan
    >> installing it. I downloaded also all availible docs. I wondered if it
    >> is ok to start with this.

    That is quite a lot of documentation. The handbook covers quite a lot
    of topics and is a recommended read. The installation, release, and
    hardware notes you'll also want to read at least once.

    The other handbooks and articles are useful if you're interested in
    their particular topics, of course.

    There are also one or two complete books, previously in print, now
    online, that you might want to look at. If they're not linked to on
    the FreeBSD site, they've certainly been mentioned in this group.

    >> And, also, I have an integrated GPU, it works well on FreeBSD?

    FreeBSD itself does very little on that front. The graphics are usually
    provided through the Xorg X Window System (previously the XFree86 one),
    and that works well for 2d and accelerated 2d graphics. More details
    in the Xorg documentation. Accelerated OpenGL 3d support is a sore
    point with the free software world, as most vendors won't share the
    programming specs, and if they provide binary drivers at all it is often
    only for linux.

    So, for really snazzy 3d graphics out of the box you'll have to look at
    other solutions. A commercial X server might help.

    > All your answers come back one question... are you wanting to learn it as a
    > server or are you looking to use it as workstation?
    > Server? Then 5.5 is fine, 6.2 would be better
    > Worstation? The PC-BSD would be better

    I don't see why you would focus on the server/workstation distinction.
    If the OP is genuinely interested in learning to work with unix in general
    and FreeBSD in particular it's a waste of time to try and fob him off with
    something that is ment for a different market.

  4. Re: New to FreeBSD

    jpd wrote:

    > On 2007-03-27, Walter Vaughan wrote:
    >>>[...] I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in Linux, but
    >>>And, also, I have an integrated GPU, it works well on FreeBSD?

    > FreeBSD itself does very little on that front.

    Exactly my point.

    I have never got X-windows working on a machine with XYZ video card that didn't
    work with PC-BSD. I have, on the otherhand fought for hours with dozens of
    configuration files that *should have worked*, until I stubbornly gave up an
    tried to boot and install with PC-BSD. At that point you have two vectors...
    either stay with the PBI's, or just start using like it like a "normal" FreeBSD
    workstation using the ports collection. At least with PC-BSD you have a known
    video configuration working.

    Since 95% of the time *I* just want a FreeBSD server that'll only have a monitor
    attached to it for maybe 1 hour of it's entire life so I don't care about
    X-Windows most of the time. *My* breathing slows considerably after I get Webmin
    installed via the ports collection. However, If I need to build a FreeBSD box
    that really will need someone to use KDE, I'd use PC-BSD as a reference point.

    Why can't PC-BSD be our Ubuntu? For the newbie who want's something to point
    and click within the first half hour it's invaluable. For someone who want's to
    run a headless postgreSQL server, no, PC-BSD is the wrong place to start.

    --
    Walter

  5. Re: New to FreeBSD

    Begin
    On 2007-03-27, Walter Vaughan wrote:
    > jpd wrote:

    >> FreeBSD itself does very little on that front.

    > Exactly my point.

    You managed to hide it really well then.

    > I have never got X-windows working on a machine with XYZ video card
    > that didn't work with PC-BSD. I have, on the otherhand fought for
    > hours with dozens of configuration files that *should have worked*,
    > until I stubbornly gave up an tried to boot and install with PC-BSD.

    Should have worked (in your opinion) and actually working are two
    different things. Building configurations on the latter usually works
    better.

    Since presumably FreeBSD and PC-BSD use the same software for X, I
    don't really see how the X version PC-BSD uses is magically better.
    So it might pay to figure out what it is they do differently.

    The big difference I expect to be in some configuration trickery FreeBSD
    doesn't provide by default because it isn't its job to, just as it isn't
    its job to provide Xorg by default.

    Personally, I figured out how to create a working X config for XFree86
    3 and after that it has only gotten easier. I wouldn't exactly call it
    ``easy'' in the run program once then forget about it sense. To me, it
    doesn't matter much as I'm prepared to do some editing before deciding
    on a particular configuration anyway.

    > At that point you have two vectors... either stay with the PBI's, or
    > just start using like it like a "normal" FreeBSD workstation using
    > the ports collection. At least with PC-BSD you have a known video
    > configuration working.

    Not really. Using PC-BSD is your solution for your "stubbornly giving up",
    but the original question was about FreeBSD.

    > *My* breathing slows considerably after I get Webmin installed via the
    > ports collection.

    Well, if that is how you want to run your servers. I think it has very
    little to do with administration, but I understand it ``is easy''.

    > Why can't PC-BSD be our Ubuntu? For the newbie who want's something
    > to point and click within the first half hour it's invaluable. For
    > someone who want's to run a headless postgreSQL server, no, PC-BSD is
    > the wrong place to start.

    If the question is ``I like to learn about FreeBSD, where do I start?'',
    then the answer shouldn't be ``use this other system, it saves you from
    having to learn things''.

    Oh, and something about line lengths.

  6. Re: New to FreeBSD

    Zenzo wrote:

    > My name is Ivan and I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in
    > Linux, but it was a long time ago. I downloaded the 5.5 release and I
    > plan installing it. I downloaded also all availible docs. I wondered
    > if it is ok to start with this.

    If you're starting from scratch, better to start with 6.2, which is the
    latest and greatest.

    > And, also, I have an integrated GPU, it works well on FreeBSD?

    You'd have to be more specific about what you have. Certainly it should
    work in console mode. If you need graphics mode, that would depend on
    your system being support by Xorg.

  7. Re: New to FreeBSD

    jpd wrote:

    > If the question is ``I like to learn about FreeBSD, where do I start?'',
    > then the answer shouldn't be ``use this other system, it saves you from
    > having to learn things''.

    You win

    --
    Walter

    Argh! this is so hard to give up! Okay I give up.

  8. Re: New to FreeBSD

    Hi,

    I managed to install the 6.2 version, and I must say it works
    perfectly. I managed to configure a lot of things, an to teach myself
    a lot, too. I use freebsd for a workstation, on wich I use windows xp,
    but, it must be said, freebsd is much faster and much better than win.
    The X system works fine, I had no problems, for the sound too. I use
    kdm and KDE, butwhen I install programs I don't see them in the menus.
    Where can I see what ports and other programs are installed on my
    system?

    Step by step I'm configuring my system using the instructions in the
    handbook (I must say that I skip sections because i need to configure
    something specifical), I managed to configure the sound card, i.e. to
    set up that the sound driver loads on system boot. Also I managed to
    set that the users can mount USB flash drives.

    I'm very happy with freebsd (and very proud of myself, too ).

    Ivan

    On Mar 27, 5:36 am, jpd wrote:
    > Begin <2tidnbvS2btd9JXbnZ2dnUVZ_rukn...@ctc.net>
    > On 2007-03-27, Walter Vaughan wrote:
    >
    > >> [...] I'm new to FreeBSD and Unix, I worked a little in Linux, but
    > >> it was a long time ago. I downloaded the 5.5 release and I plan
    > >> installing it. I downloaded also all availible docs. I wondered if it
    > >> is ok to start with this.

    > That is quite a lot of documentation. The handbook covers quite a lot
    > of topics and is a recommended read. The installation, release, and
    > hardware notes you'll also want to read at least once.
    >
    > The other handbooks and articles are useful if you're interested in
    > their particular topics, of course.
    >
    > There are also one or two complete books, previously in print, now
    > online, that you might want to look at. If they're not linked to on
    > the FreeBSD site, they've certainly been mentioned in this group.
    >
    > >> And, also, I have an integrated GPU, it works well on FreeBSD?

    > FreeBSD itself does very little on that front. The graphics are usually
    > provided through the Xorg X Window System (previously the XFree86 one),
    > and that works well for 2d and accelerated 2d graphics. More details
    > in the Xorg documentation. Accelerated OpenGL 3d support is a sore
    > point with the free software world, as most vendors won't share the
    > programming specs, and if they provide binary drivers at all it is often
    > only for linux.
    >
    > So, for really snazzy 3d graphics out of the box you'll have to look at
    > other solutions. A commercial X server might help.
    >
    > > All your answers come back one question... are you wanting to learn it as a
    > > server or are you looking to use it as workstation?
    > > Server? Then 5.5 is fine, 6.2 would be better
    > > Worstation? The PC-BSD would be better

    > I don't see why you would focus on the server/workstation distinction.
    > If the OP is genuinely interested in learning to work with unix in general
    > and FreeBSD in particular it's a waste of time to try and fob him off with
    > something that is ment for a different market.
    >
    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  9. Re: New to FreeBSD

    Zenzo wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I managed to install the 6.2 version, and I must say it works
    > perfectly. I managed to configure a lot of things, an to teach myself
    > a lot, too. I use freebsd for a workstation, on wich I use windows xp,
    > but, it must be said, freebsd is much faster and much better than win.
    > The X system works fine, I had no problems, for the sound too. I use
    > kdm and KDE, butwhen I install programs I don't see them in the menus.
    > Where can I see what ports and other programs are installed on my
    > system?

    Just type pkg_info at a prompt. You could also look in /var/db/pkg, which is
    where pkg_info will pull this information. KDE has an app somewhere called
    kappfinder which can be run to scan for new programs and add them to the
    menu. In my experience it doesn't work too well as there's lots of stuff it
    doesn't find. But you can also edit the menu manually.

    > Step by step I'm configuring my system using the instructions in the
    > handbook (I must say that I skip sections because i need to configure
    > something specifical), I managed to configure the sound card, i.e. to
    > set up that the sound driver loads on system boot. Also I managed to
    > set that the users can mount USB flash drives.

    Sounds like you had an easier time of it than I did at first. Coming from a
    $MS background with no Unix/Linux knowledge of any kind, for me the initial
    learning curve for me was indeed steep at first. But there was a "tipover"
    point where all of the sudden it was like the proverbial light bulb came on
    and things made all kinds of sense. And the Handbook is a most excellent
    source to "live in" for getting things rolling.

    -Jason
    [snip]

  10. Re: New to FreeBSD

    On 2007-03-30, Jason Bourne wrote:
    > Zenzo wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I managed to install the 6.2 version, and I must say it works
    >> perfectly. I managed to configure a lot of things, an to teach myself
    >> a lot, too. I use freebsd for a workstation, on wich I use windows xp,
    >> but, it must be said, freebsd is much faster and much better than win.
    >> The X system works fine, I had no problems, for the sound too. I use
    >> kdm and KDE, butwhen I install programs I don't see them in the menus.
    >> Where can I see what ports and other programs are installed on my
    >> system?

    > Just type pkg_info at a prompt. You could also look in /var/db/pkg, which is
    > where pkg_info will pull this information. KDE has an app somewhere called
    > kappfinder which can be run to scan for new programs and add them to the
    > menu. In my experience it doesn't work too well as there's lots of stuff it
    > doesn't find. But you can also edit the menu manually.

    If I might modify the instruction above, type:

    pkg_info | more

    Use the "pipe" or | key which is usually above the \ key. NOT the colon or :
    key which is above the ; key. This puts the output from the pkg_info command
    into a page at a time output that you can then follow nicely.

    Cheers

    JE

+ Reply to Thread