Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem - BSD

This is a discussion on Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem - BSD ; Hello, I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista on it. The HD is 160Gb. The default partitions on the drive were resized to make 50Gb free at the end of the disk for FreeBSD. The HD has now 4 partitions: ...

  1. Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Hello,

    I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista on it. The HD is 160Gb. The default
    partitions on the drive were resized to make 50Gb free at the end of the
    disk for FreeBSD. The HD has now 4 partitions:

    1G: Toshiba read only
    40G: C: vista
    60G: D: vista
    50G: FreeBSD 6.2 (planed)

    First attempt: I am informed that the disk geometry is incorrect: It seems
    that the BIOS is not giving the correct geo. The FDISK info is way off the
    manifacture specs. It uses instead a more "reasonnable" geo (the total in
    Go = 152Gb seems ok! the FDISK util takes the unused partition and I create
    a FreeBSD slice. I then select "Leave MBR untouched" since Vista is suppose
    to manage multi OS. I define the swap, / and other mount point. When done,
    it complain about:
    Chunk ad0S1 does not start on a track boundary...
    same for ALL other partitions of the HD...

    I go on with the installation. Every thing ok. The laptop reboot and FreeBSD
    is working fine! But... no more Windows, no boot manager on startup. So I
    am left off with a FreeBSD only laptop on 1/3 of the disk!

    So I guess the geometry was leathtal! I used the Toshiba Restore CDs.
    Because of this, I have no control over the MS Vista setup. I would normaly
    do a FreeBSD install with boot manager, make the slices, reserve a
    partition for MS and then install MS. This way, Windows uses the space left
    and it always worked. Now, I am stuck with vista in there first.

    Second attempt: same thing (same geo warnings, same bad track boundary after
    a partition deletion and rebuild with BootIt NG utility) but I then used
    the FBSD boot manager. I did reboot with a boot manager asking for F1...
    but then, I had F1,F2,F3,F4 one per partition: the Toshiba, the C, The D
    and FBSD!!! F2 and F3 did not work, (dont recall the error message) but it
    was imposible to select Vista... but FreeBSD was working!

    Can someone help! This seems a lost cause...
    Thanks
    --
    Mark

  2. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:30:58 -0400
    Mark Vasles wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista on it. The HD is 160Gb. The default
    > partitions on the drive were resized to make 50Gb free at the end of
    > the disk for FreeBSD. The HD has now 4 partitions:

    -Snip -

    > Can someone help! This seems a lost cause...
    > Thanks
    > --
    > Mark

    Have a closer look at yr Toshiba pre-load.
    You can be rid of the default C, D drive setup forgotten exact details
    but have done it a few times (Most windows USERS have no idea the D
    drive exists! Complain drive is smaller than specified etc)
    - I just install Win on C so they don't need to think...

    I loaded Windows XP first and made partitions from XP, used Linux,
    FreeBSD fdisk to set partition types.

    Here (desktop) 160Gb drive:

    Partition 1, 49Gb: Windows Vista
    Partition 2, 34Gb: FreBSD
    Partition 3, 31Gb: Linux
    Partition 4 Extended:
    31Gb Windows XP FAT32 (Boot is on Partition 1)+ 1Gb Linux swap
    Grub (or Lilo) FreeBSD, Linux, Windows.
    - Windows dual booting older version of windows (XP) or Vista.

    If you do standard pre-load then:
    Transfer any data from D: to C:
    Delete or shrink D: (With Vista Disk Management) and create a new
    empty partition for FreeBSD

    FreeBSD Boot loader, Grub, Lilo or Gag diskette will allow booting
    Vista.

    Otherwise a Linux and or FreeBSD are a lot more efficient tan Vista...

  3. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:38:22 +1100
    Bill Laird wrote:

    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:30:58 -0400
    > Mark Vasles wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a Toshiba laptop with Vista on it. The HD is 160Gb. The
    > > default partitions on the drive were resized to make 50Gb free at
    > > the end of the disk for FreeBSD. The HD has now 4 partitions:
    > >

    > -Snip -
    > >

    > If you do standard pre-load then:
    > Transfer any data from D: to C:
    > Delete or shrink D: (With Vista Disk Management) and create a new
    > empty partition for FreeBSD
    >
    > FreeBSD Boot loader, Grub, Lilo or Gag diskette will allow booting
    > Vista.
    >
    > Otherwise a Linux and or FreeBSD are a lot more efficient tan Vista...

    More:
    If you delete the D: drive and need more space for Vista you can extend
    the C: drive to say 100Gb. Then create an empty partition for FreeBSD
    (Option: Don't format, don't allocate a drive letter for the FreeBSD
    partition)

  4. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Bill Laird wrote:

    > Have a closer look at yr Toshiba pre-load.
    > You can be rid of the default C, D drive setup forgotten exact details
    > but have done it a few times (Most windows USERS have no idea the D
    > drive exists! Complain drive is smaller than specified etc)
    > - I just install Win on C so they don't need to think...
    >
    > I loaded Windows XP first and made partitions from XP, used Linux,
    > FreeBSD fdisk to set partition types.

    Yes, but that's where vista and FreeBSD seems to differ: if Vista was
    installed with a disk geometry that it sees fit and FreeBSD wants to
    install on a slice that is not correct in term of geometry, can it destroy
    other windows slice? Because I had a warning of Chunk ad0S1/ad0S2 does not
    start on a track boundary

    > Here (desktop) 160Gb drive:
    >
    > Partition 1, 49Gb: Windows Vista
    > Partition 2, 34Gb: FreBSD
    > Partition 3, 31Gb: Linux
    > Partition 4 Extended:
    > 31Gb Windows XP FAT32 (Boot is on Partition 1)+ 1Gb Linux swap
    > Grub (or Lilo) FreeBSD, Linux, Windows.
    > - Windows dual booting older version of windows (XP) or Vista.
    >
    > If you do standard pre-load then:
    > Transfer any data from D: to C:
    > Delete or shrink D: (With Vista Disk Management) and create a new
    > empty partition for FreeBSD

    this was already made. I have an empty 50Gb slice (ad0S4) that is dot
    formated and unallocated.

    > FreeBSD Boot loader, Grub, Lilo or Gag diskette will allow booting
    > Vista.
    >
    > Otherwise a Linux and or FreeBSD are a lot more efficient tan Vista...

    Ok, but this seems like what I did:
    1) Vista is installed, I have a ad0S1 reserved to Toshiba, a ad0S2 for C:\
    ad0S3 for D:\ and 50Gb left for FreeBSD on ad0S4
    2) I boot from the FreeBSD disk, I use Fdisk to select the slice4, allocate
    the 50Gb to freeBSD, I make few partition inside the slice, select the
    FreeBSD boot manager (option 1), complete the installation with success...
    I reboot...

    I see :
    F1 = (empty)
    F2 = windows
    F3 = windows
    F4 = FreeBSD

    The MBR seems lost... the slice 1 and 3 should not be there... and hiting F2
    (C:\ slice I guess) doesn't work... impossible to boot in windows!

    I have no idea if windows is still there but iunreachable with MBR broken or
    if the Chuncks warning has broken the windows partitions.

    Thank you for you input!
    --
    Mark

  5. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Mark Vasles wrote:
    > Bill Laird wrote:
    >
    > Ok, but this seems like what I did:
    > 1) Vista is installed, I have a ad0S1 reserved to Toshiba, a ad0S2 for C:\
    > ad0S3 for D:\ and 50Gb left for FreeBSD on ad0S4
    > 2) I boot from the FreeBSD disk, I use Fdisk to select the slice4, allocate
    > the 50Gb to freeBSD, I make few partition inside the slice, select the
    > FreeBSD boot manager (option 1), complete the installation with success...
    > I reboot...
    >
    > I see :
    > F1 = (empty)
    > F2 = windows
    > F3 = windows
    > F4 = FreeBSD
    >
    > The MBR seems lost... the slice 1 and 3 should not be there... and hiting F2
    > (C:\ slice I guess) doesn't work... impossible to boot in windows!

    So if i understand, 1 is the recovery partition, of course should be
    here, 2 is the normal Windows partition, 3 is an other non bootable
    partition, and 4 is FreeBSD. So hitting F2 should boot Windows, except
    that the MBR is incorrect. You should boot a windows cdrom, go to the
    recovery console and run fixmbr. A possible solution is try to enter
    the BIOS and check if you can set your disk in LBA mode. In LBA mode,
    the c/h/s are irrelevant.

    > I have no idea if windows is still there but iunreachable with MBR broken or
    > if the Chuncks warning has broken the windows partitions.

    No at most the boot loader in the Windows partition doesn't understand
    the geometry, if i remember there is a fixboot command to repair the
    Windows boot blocks. Don't forget there are several stages for booting:

    - the MBR: transfers control to boot blocks on one of the 4 partitions.
    Traditionnally used c/h/s to access them, but can use "linear mode" or
    LBA or "packet mode", that is "number of blocks" since ages. In FreeBSD
    you can tune the MBR by using boot0cfg -o packet to do that. You can
    also hide partitions using -m "mask". For Windows it is fixmbr.
    - the boot block, which is a small program at the
    beginning of the partition which transfers control to a more capable
    one. This one used c/h/s on old versions of Windows, but uses linear
    mode since at least WinXP. It always uses linear mode in FreeBSD.
    - the more capable one is ntloader for WindowsXP and /boot/loader in
    FreeBSD. They can do all the tasks without any c/h/s restrictions. The
    Windows one has a menu to boot several OS, you can boot FreeBSD with it.

    So possible geometry problems are localized to the MBR or first stage
    boot loaders.

    --

    Michel TALON

  6. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Michel Talon wrote:

    > So if i understand, 1 is the recovery partition, of course should be
    > here, 2 is the normal Windows partition, 3 is an other non bootable
    > partition, and 4 is FreeBSD. So hitting F2 should boot Windows, except
    > that the MBR is incorrect. You should boot a windows cdrom, go to the
    > recovery console and run fixmbr. A possible solution is try to enter
    > the BIOS and check if you can set your disk in LBA mode. In LBA mode,
    > the c/h/s are irrelevant.

    Hello, Thanks.
    My Toshiba laptop has a very poor BIOS with almost no options... I don't
    have properties over the HD or any other mention about LBA. But I guess
    with a 160GB disk, it should be LBA by default?

    Like most laptop now, the CD is a recovery version of MS Vista... no
    utilities, I checked and no fixmbr available on disk. So I have no control
    over Vista and the way it is installed on the disk.

    >> I have no idea if windows is still there but iunreachable with MBR broken
    >> or if the Chuncks warning has broken the windows partitions.

    > No at most the boot loader in the Windows partition doesn't understand
    > the geometry, if i remember there is a fixboot command to repair the
    > Windows boot blocks. Don't forget there are several stages for booting:
    >
    > - the MBR: transfers control to boot blocks on one of the 4 partitions.
    > Traditionnally used c/h/s to access them, but can use "linear mode" or
    > LBA or "packet mode", that is "number of blocks" since ages. In FreeBSD
    > you can tune the MBR by using boot0cfg -o packet to do that. You can
    > also hide partitions using -m "mask". For Windows it is fixmbr.
    > - the boot block, which is a small program at the
    > beginning of the partition which transfers control to a more capable
    > one. This one used c/h/s on old versions of Windows, but uses linear
    > mode since at least WinXP. It always uses linear mode in FreeBSD.
    > - the more capable one is ntloader for WindowsXP and /boot/loader in
    > FreeBSD. They can do all the tasks without any c/h/s restrictions. The
    > Windows one has a menu to boot several OS, you can boot FreeBSD with it.
    >
    > So possible geometry problems are localized to the MBR or first stage
    > boot loaders.

    For now, I have a clean restore Vista on the laptop. The 50Gb slice 4 is
    still available for FreeBSD. Before making a 3rd installation of FreeBSD, I
    would like to have a clue on what I will have to do upon reboot... or else,
    I will be in the same situation...

    In your opinion, since Vista should be able to boot multi OS, should I tell
    FreeBSD not to bother about boot manager? And if I choose the FreeBSD boot
    manager, I guess there is a mixup in the MBR with windows and freeBSD in
    there...

    I saw in another newsgroup that I could select "G" in Fdisk of FreeBSD
    to "set geometry, I king of automatic setup... You seem to think that the
    Chunck warning (bad track boundary) is not a problem (or should not affect
    nor windows or FreeBSD)...

    The only tool I have is Boot IT NG that could help with the MBR... that is
    if I knew what to do!

    Thanks again for your help.
    Mark

  7. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Mark Vasles wrote:
    > Michel Talon wrote:
    >
    > Like most laptop now, the CD is a recovery version of MS Vista... no
    > utilities, I checked and no fixmbr available on disk. So I have no control
    > over Vista and the way it is installed on the disk.

    Well i have only seen WinXP Pro cdroms, which give the possibility to
    enter the so-called "recovery console" at boot (you have to give a
    passwd, the same you gave when installing) and then fixmbr is available.

    > For now, I have a clean restore Vista on the laptop. The 50Gb slice 4 is
    > still available for FreeBSD. Before making a 3rd installation of FreeBSD, I
    > would like to have a clue on what I will have to do upon reboot... or else,
    > I will be in the same situation...
    >
    > In your opinion, since Vista should be able to boot multi OS, should I tell
    > FreeBSD not to bother about boot manager? And if I choose the FreeBSD boot
    > manager, I guess there is a mixup in the MBR with windows and freeBSD in
    > there...

    I think the best is to ask FreeBSD to not install the boot manager since
    it causes trouble for you. Then you can use the ntloader to boot FreeBSD,
    this is described in a lot of places (see google). But i fear that even
    the fdisk step in the install may ruin the MBR according to what you are
    saying. Example:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...#NT-BOOTLOADER

    > I saw in another newsgroup that I could select "G" in Fdisk of FreeBSD
    > to "set geometry, I king of automatic setup... You seem to think that the
    > Chunck warning (bad track boundary) is not a problem (or should not affect
    > nor windows or FreeBSD)...

    Really i have never seen a problem like yours. May i suggest that you
    try a Linux cdrom to see what is going on?

    --

    Michel TALON

  8. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Michel Talon wrote:

    > I think the best is to ask FreeBSD to not install the boot manager since
    > it causes trouble for you. Then you can use the ntloader to boot FreeBSD,
    > this is described in a lot of places (see google). But i fear that even
    > the fdisk step in the install may ruin the MBR according to what you are
    > saying. Example:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...#NT-BOOTLOADER

    this seems specific to Win NT... because I dont see a c:\boot.ini in Vista
    (even in DOS terminal).
    This is the king of anwser I am looking for! But I think it needs to be more
    Vista centric.

    I don't know any thing about MBR... I guess that if I can copy the present
    seting, install FreeBSD and resort just the MBR, may be Vista will dual
    boot (like it should)... detecting FBSD.

    The thing is: my first attempt with FBSD was "Leave MBR untouched" but even
    then, when rebooting after a no problem install (except for the geometry),
    the MBR booted FreeBSD on partition 4 without option... no more vista. So I
    guess sothing is changed when I install FBSD in the first sector of the
    first partition... ?

    >> I saw in another newsgroup that I could select "G" in Fdisk of FreeBSD
    >> to "set geometry, I king of automatic setup... You seem to think that the
    >> Chunck warning (bad track boundary) is not a problem (or should not
    >> affect nor windows or FreeBSD)...

    > Really i have never seen a problem like yours. May i suggest that you
    > try a Linux cdrom to see what is going on?

    I've never used Linux before... don't have any version. Since I have 2
    problems probably not linked, I want to solve the boot problem first. If
    FreeBSD and Vista are working (booting), I guess I should not worry about
    the geometry...

    Thanks Michel!

  9. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Michel Talon wrote:

    > I think the best is to ask FreeBSD to not install the boot manager since
    > it causes trouble for you. Then you can use the ntloader to boot FreeBSD,
    > this is described in a lot of places (see google). But i fear that even
    > the fdisk step in the install may ruin the MBR according to what you are
    > saying. Example:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...#NT-BOOTLOADER

    A feedback...

    I solved the problem. I reinstalled FreeBSD (but got again a geometry
    warning) in it's partition. I used the easyboot manager.

    That did not go well for the windows vista partition... F2 booting Vista did
    not work any more... I used Boot It NG to restore Vista's MBR with a new
    tool call BCD Edit. I was able to correct the problem. Then, I switched the
    ACTIVE partition to FreeBSD in the MBR.

    Both now are available with a manager at startup. Now I am only looking to
    mask the 2 partition not bootable. I need no 2 and 4. The man page for
    boot0cfg give an example for no 1 and 2... 0x3 is not my language!

    Thanks!

  10. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    Mark Vasles wrote:

    > Both now are available with a manager at startup. Now I am only looking to
    > mask the 2 partition not bootable. I need no 2 and 4. The man page for
    > boot0cfg give an example for no 1 and 2... 0x3 is not my language!

    First be prepared to use a cdrom to boot back to your hard disk!
    It's doable.
    Then, you want to enable 1 and 3 and disable 2 and 4 which means
    1x 1 + 0 x 2 + 1 x 4 + 0 x 8 = 5 which is 0x5 in hexal, hence
    boot0cfg -m 0x5 ad0

    --

    Michel TALON

  11. Re: Dual boot: FBSD-Vista & FDISK problem

    For now, I came up with the following solution (for me) for restoring Vista after a BSD installation:
    Installed FreeBSD (7.0-Release) with "No Boot-Loader" option. (The partitions are:
    sda1 - Vista C:
    sda3 - FreeBSD
    sda2 - Vista D for data)

    Then rebooted with Vista Installation Disk and played with all the options for repairing the system, but had no luck.

    Finally rebooted again with FreeBSD installation disk & chosen "Standard" option.
    Got again the warning on the "wrong disk geometry", and got into the FDISK.
    Selected there the Vista boot partition (sda1) and pressed "S" (Set bootable);
    pressed "W" (write changes to disk) and "Q" (quit).
    Then pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete and chosen "Quit installation" or something similar.
    Rebooted & Voila - I'm in Vista.

    Now I'll have to make it really Dual-boot, but this one seems to be much easier.

    Hope this will be usefull for other *BSD-ers.

    P.S.: Been searching for this one since September 2007 :-[

+ Reply to Thread