x server starts and stops really slowly - BSD

This is a discussion on x server starts and stops really slowly - BSD ; i am using freebsd 6.2 with kde 3.5.4 on a dell dimension 8300 p4 2.6 with 256 ddr400. when i start freebsd everything is fine until i submit the command "startx" it will then sit there for up to 30 ...

  1. x server starts and stops really slowly

    i am using freebsd 6.2 with kde 3.5.4 on a dell dimension 8300 p4 2.6
    with 256 ddr400.

    when i start freebsd everything is fine until i submit the command
    "startx" it will then sit there for up to 30 minutes creating a new
    "xauthority" file. once it has that completed that it runs fine until
    i want to stop the xserver at which point it will come up and say
    "waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath : FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/
    X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing." it will sit
    with that on the screen for several minutes than it will display the
    following "/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth : (argv) :1: bad display name
    "blank.domain.blankblank :0" in "remove" command" than i finally get
    the command prompt back.

    Is there a way to speed up the startx process or to fix the refcount
    and bad display name or all or any part thereof?

    i had installed in the same computer but with no internet and it
    worked fine but now that it is connected to the my home network and
    the internet it is slow as can be.

    any and all assistance would be appreciated.

    thanks

  2. Re: x server starts and stops really slowly

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:05:20 -0700, prosnoglo wrote:

    > i am using freebsd 6.2 with kde 3.5.4 on a dell dimension 8300 p4 2.6
    > with 256 ddr400.
    >
    > when i start freebsd everything is fine until i submit the command
    > "startx" it will then sit there for up to 30 minutes creating a new
    > "xauthority" file. once it has that completed that it runs fine until i
    > want to stop the xserver at which point it will come up and say
    > "waiting for X server to shut down FreeFontPath : FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/
    > X11/fonts/misc/" refcount is 2, should be 1; fixing." it will sit
    > with that on the screen for several minutes than it will display the
    > following "/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth : (argv) :1: bad display name
    > "blank.domain.blankblank :0" in "remove" command" than i finally get
    > the command prompt back.
    >
    > Is there a way to speed up the startx process or to fix the refcount and
    > bad display name or all or any part thereof?
    >
    > i had installed in the same computer but with no internet and it worked
    > fine but now that it is connected to the my home network and the
    > internet it is slow as can be.
    >
    > any and all assistance would be appreciated.
    >
    > thanks

    First of all, the proper group to ask FreeBSD-related questions in is
    comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc. Please remember this in the future, and
    avoid all the unnecessary cross-posting. Thank you.

    Based on the messages you're seeing on shutting down the server, it looks
    like you may have a DNS problem. Is your machine's hostname set properly
    in /etc/rc.conf, and does it resolve to a valid IP address?

    One simple solution might be to set hostname="localhost.my.domain" in
    /etc/rc.conf (as per the default /etc/hosts file).

    Alternatively, if you're configuring your network interface via DHCP,
    then you could use a little startup script to set your machine's hostname
    to match what your ISP assigns. If this is beyond your skill level at
    this point, then just set the hostname manually after your net interface
    has been configured.

    For example, after booting up and logging in, do an "ifconfig" to obtain
    the IP address of your interface, then do either an nslookup or host
    command using this IP address as the command line argument. Then set
    your machine's hostname to the name returned by either of these commands.

    Hope this helps.

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier

+ Reply to Thread