hyperthreading with "extreme" cpu? - BSD

This is a discussion on hyperthreading with "extreme" cpu? - BSD ; Has anyone compared and observed a meaningful performance improvement in ordinary desktop use with hyperthreading_enabled turned on on a non-dual and non-quad core p4 "extreme" as compared to a non-extreme p4? It doesn't look that expensive to take my 2.6 ...

  1. hyperthreading with "extreme" cpu?

    Has anyone compared and observed a meaningful performance improvement
    in ordinary desktop use with hyperthreading_enabled turned on on a
    non-dual and non-quad core p4 "extreme" as compared to a non-extreme
    p4?

    It doesn't look that expensive to take my 2.6 p4 that has no L3 cache
    and 512K l2 to a 3.4 pentium 4, same bus characteristics, but the
    extreme has 2mb of L3 cache, and curious if anyone's done this and
    been satisfied that they're not seeing a slight performance hit with
    the L3 available (I see - barely - a slight performance hit with ht
    enabled when doing desktoppy stuff like browsing graphic-heavy sites,
    although I see a very nice 15% improvement in build speeds with HT
    enabled on the non-extreme pent 4)

  2. Re: hyperthreading with "extreme" cpu?

    On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:36:42 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : Has anyone compared and observed a meaningful performance improvement

    Please disregard, some further googling answered all

+ Reply to Thread