how to count network traffic - BSD

This is a discussion on how to count network traffic - BSD ; I'm setting up a small network for a friend using a freebsd 6.2 firewall then a hub then a few machines with static ips. How do I check how much each user is downloading? Thanks....

  1. how to count network traffic

    I'm setting up a small network for a friend using a freebsd 6.2 firewall
    then a hub then a few machines with static ips.

    How do I check how much each user is downloading?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: how to count network traffic

    "mickfp" a écrit dans le message de
    > I'm setting up a small network for a friend using a freebsd 6.2 firewall
    > then a hub then a few machines with static ips.
    >
    > How do I check how much each user is downloading?
    >
    > Thanks.

    if you use ipfw, if your users are identifyied with their ip,
    you can add some counter:
    ${fwcmd} add x count tcp from ip_user_1 to any
    ${fwcmd} add x+1 count tcp from ip_user_2 to any

    where x is a number you have to choose (use "ipfw list" to see the list of
    existing number & rules, and choose a not used one)
    after a while, you can see result with "ipfw show", those lines beggining
    with the number you have choosen