How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console - BSD

This is a discussion on How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console - BSD ; Hello! I want to setup my french canadien keyboard on virtual console. I try to put this line: keymaps="/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd" in my /etc/rc.conf file but it don't work. How can i setup this keyboard? Thanks! Yves...

  1. How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Hello!

    I want to setup my french canadien keyboard on virtual console.
    I try to put this line:
    keymaps="/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    in my /etc/rc.conf file but it don't work.

    How can i setup this keyboard?

    Thanks!

    Yves

  2. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Yves Savoie wrote:
    > I want to setup my french canadien keyboard on virtual console.
    > I try to put this line:
    > keymaps="/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    > in my /etc/rc.conf file but it don't work.
    >
    > How can i setup this keyboard?

    I think you have a slight error in your line above.
    It should read:
    keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc"

    See the rc.conf(5) amn page for more info.
    HTH

    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    In article <45f2808f$1@news.broadpark.no> Torfinn Ingolfsen
    writes:
    >Yves Savoie wrote:
    >> I want to setup my french canadien keyboard on virtual console.
    >> I try to put this line:
    >> keymaps="/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    >> in my /etc/rc.conf file but it don't work.
    >>
    >> How can i setup this keyboard?

    >I think you have a slight error in your line above.
    >It should read:
    >keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc"
    >
    >See the rc.conf(5) amn page for more info.

    Well, a full pathname should work too (pointless or worse in this case,
    but I use that to point to a custom keymap in /usr/local), see EXAMPLES
    in kbdcontrol(1). The important error is that it's keymap="...", not
    keymaps="..." (you certainly covered that too, but it might go unnoticed
    beside the pathname change).

    --Per Hedeland
    per@hedeland.org

  4. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Thank for your help

    I check for the keymap command and i really use
    keymap="/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    I change that for keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc" with no result
    I make some test and find the trouble but i don't know how to solve that.

    My trouble is very simple. My system use only the ascii code between 0 to
    127. It don't use the extended code to 128 to 255.

    I think that i don't use the good ascii table.

    How can i change that??

    Yves

    Per Hedeland wrote:

    > In article <45f2808f$1@news.broadpark.no> Torfinn Ingolfsen
    > writes:
    >>Yves Savoie wrote:
    >>> I want to setup my french canadien keyboard on virtual console.
    >>> I try to put this line:
    >>> keymaps="/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    >>> in my /etc/rc.conf file but it don't work.
    >>>
    >>> How can i setup this keyboard?

    >>I think you have a slight error in your line above.
    >>It should read:
    >>keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc"
    >>
    >>See the rc.conf(5) amn page for more info.

    > Well, a full pathname should work too (pointless or worse in this case,
    > but I use that to point to a custom keymap in /usr/local), see EXAMPLES
    > in kbdcontrol(1). The important error is that it's keymap="...", not
    > keymaps="..." (you certainly covered that too, but it might go unnoticed
    > beside the pathname change).
    >
    > --Per Hedeland
    > per@hedeland.org

  5. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Yves Savoie a ťcrit :
    > Thank for your help
    >
    > I check for the keymap command and i really use
    > keymap="/usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    > I change that for keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc" with no result
    > I make some test and find the trouble but i don't know how to solve that.
    >
    > My trouble is very simple. My system use only the ascii code between 0 to
    > 127. It don't use the extended code to 128 to 255.
    >
    > I think that i don't use the good ascii table.
    >
    > How can i change that??
    >
    > Yves
    >

    > Per Hedeland wrote:
    >
    >> In article <45f2808f$1@news.broadpark.no> Torfinn Ingolfsen
    >> writes:

    >>> I think you have a slight error in your line above.
    >>> It should read:
    >>> keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc"
    >>>
    >>> See the rc.conf(5) amn page for more info.

    >> Well, a full pathname should work too (pointless or worse in this case,
    >> but I use that to point to a custom keymap in /usr/local), see EXAMPLES
    >> in kbdcontrol(1). The important error is that it's keymap="...", not
    >> keymaps="..." (you certainly covered that too, but it might go unnoticed
    >> beside the pathname change).
    >>
    >> --Per Hedeland
    >> per@hedeland.org

    I think you need to change the display font...
    For example this works for me:

    keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"

    --
    Return address is base 64 encoded.

  6. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Hi!
    Thanks for your help!

    I try this:

    keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
    font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*

    But it don't works!

    I make some test and i have questions.
    I don't installed xfree86 or xorg because i don't use GUI. It is possible
    that i must to installe xorg to use french character in virtual console?

    My video card is and ati 3d rage iic. I don't install any graphic driver i
    use freebsd driver it is possible that it is a driver problem?

    Thanks!

    Yves

  7. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Yves Savoie writes:
    > Hi!
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > I try this:
    >
    > keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    > font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"
    >
    > But it don't works!

    How did you try these rc.conf settings?

    How did you try to type French text? In a shell prompt? Which shell
    were you using at the time? In a vi editor window? In your favorite
    mail reader?

    You will have to give us a bit more detail, so we can help you more
    effectively.

    One way to load the console keymap and font is to use:

    # kbdcontrol -l fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
    # vidcontrol -f 8x16 iso-8x16.fnt

    Then you have to set up a proper "locale environment" to let the
    applications running know that you are using a French "language
    environment". This is usually a matter of setting the correct
    environment variables in your login shell.

    If you are using tcsh, you can do this with:

    tcsh# setenv LANG fr_CA
    tcsh# setenv LC_CTYPE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    tcsh# setenv LC_COLLATE fr_CA.ISO8859-1

    If you are using /bin/sh or one of the Bourne-compatible shells
    (like GNU bash, ksh or zsh), you can use:

    $ LANG='fr_CA'
    $ LC_CTYPE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'
    $ LC_COLLATE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'
    $ export LANG LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE

    Once you do this, you should be able to type characters in French.

    To make these settings permanent, you should modify the proper startup
    file for the shell you are using:

    * For tcsh the proper startup file would be ~/.cshrc
    * For bash, the proper startup file would be ~/.bashrc
    * For zsh, the proper startup file would be ~/.zshrc

    .... and so on.

    > I make some test and i have questions.
    > I don't installed xfree86 or xorg because i don't use GUI. It is
    > possible that i must to installe xorg to use french character in
    > virtual console?

    No, an X11 desktop (like xfree86 or xorg) is not required for viewing
    and/or writing text in one of the French "ISO" encodings. Loading an
    appropriate console font and keyboard map should be enough.

    Note: For UTF-8 text things *may* be slightly more tricky, but that's
    another story

    > My video card is and ati 3d rage iic. I don't install any graphic driver i
    > use freebsd driver it is possible that it is a driver problem?

    Not really.

    Regards,
    Giorgos

  8. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Le Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:53:22 GMT
    Yves Savoie a écrit:

    > Hi!
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > I try this:
    >
    > keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
    > font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"¬*¬*¬*¬*¬*
    >
    > But it don't works!
    >
    > I make some test and i have questions.
    > I don't installed xfree86 or xorg because i don't use GUI. It is possible
    > that i must to installe xorg to use french character in virtual console?
    >
    > My video card is and ati 3d rage iic. I don't install any graphic driver i
    > use freebsd driver it is possible that it is a driver problem?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Yves

    Hello,

    Please be more specific.

    Do you mean you don't get any accent when typing at the shell prompt ?

    Or are you trying to get some program (editor/mailer...) to recognize accented characters ?

    Thx

    Christian

    --
    Return address is base 64 encoded

  9. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

    > Yves Savoie writes:
    >> Hi!
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> I try this:
    >>
    >> keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    >> font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"
    >>
    >> But it don't works!

    > How did you try these rc.conf settings?
    >
    > How did you try to type French text? In a shell prompt? Which shell
    > were you using at the time? In a vi editor window? In your favorite
    > mail reader?
    >
    > You will have to give us a bit more detail, so we can help you more
    > effectively.
    >
    > One way to load the console keymap and font is to use:
    >
    > # kbdcontrol -l fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
    > # vidcontrol -f 8x16 iso-8x16.fnt
    >
    > Then you have to set up a proper "locale environment" to let the
    > applications running know that you are using a French "language
    > environment". This is usually a matter of setting the correct
    > environment variables in your login shell.
    >
    > If you are using tcsh, you can do this with:
    >
    > tcsh# setenv LANG fr_CA
    > tcsh# setenv LC_CTYPE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    > tcsh# setenv LC_COLLATE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    >
    > If you are using /bin/sh or one of the Bourne-compatible shells
    > (like GNU bash, ksh or zsh), you can use:
    >
    > $ LANG='fr_CA'
    > $ LC_CTYPE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'
    > $ LC_COLLATE='fr_CA.ISO8859-1'
    > $ export LANG LC_CTYPE LC_COLLATE
    >
    > Once you do this, you should be able to type characters in French.
    >
    > To make these settings permanent, you should modify the proper startup
    > file for the shell you are using:
    >
    > * For tcsh the proper startup file would be ~/.cshrc
    > * For bash, the proper startup file would be ~/.bashrc
    > * For zsh, the proper startup file would be ~/.zshrc
    >
    > ... and so on.
    >
    >> I make some test and i have questions.
    >> I don't installed xfree86 or xorg because i don't use GUI. It is
    >> possible that i must to installe xorg to use french character in
    >> virtual console?

    > No, an X11 desktop (like xfree86 or xorg) is not required for viewing
    > and/or writing text in one of the French "ISO" encodings. Loading an
    > appropriate console font and keyboard map should be enough.
    >
    > Note: For UTF-8 text things *may* be slightly more tricky, but that's
    > another story
    >
    >> My video card is and ati 3d rage iic. I don't install any graphic driver
    >> i use freebsd driver it is possible that it is a driver problem?

    > Not really.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Giorgos

    I use my computer like a small files server. The computer who write files on
    this server is in windows or linux and all use french canadien keyboard.
    The files on this server have filename and pathname with french character.
    If i have some files with link between them the link is broken because the
    french character in the pathname is not supported.

    I use csh. I put this line in my /root/.cshrc and /home/user/.cshrc

    setenv LANG fr_CA
    setenv LC_CTYPE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    setenv LC_COLLATE fr_CA.ISO8859-1

    after login i try
    kbdcontrol -l fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
    vidcontrol -f 8x16 iso-8x16.fnt

    and i try to write text with french character from console with no result.
    I can see some system message in french but i don't see one message with
    french character for now.
    thanks!

    Yves

  10. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Christian Mangin wrote:

    > Le Mon, 19 Mar 2007 23:53:22 GMT
    > Yves Savoie a écrit:
    >
    >> Hi!
    >> Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> I try this:
    >>
    >> keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    >> font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"
    >>
    >> But it don't works!
    >>
    >> I make some test and i have questions.
    >> I don't installed xfree86 or xorg because i don't use GUI. It is possible
    >> that i must to installe xorg to use french character in virtual console?
    >>
    >> My video card is and ati 3d rage iic. I don't install any graphic driver
    >> i use freebsd driver it is possible that it is a driver problem?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Yves
    >>

    > Hello,
    >
    > Please be more specific.
    >
    > Do you mean you don't get any accent when typing at the shell prompt ?
    >
    > Or are you trying to get some program (editor/mailer...) to recognize
    > accented characters ?
    >
    > Thx
    >
    > Christian

    I don't have any accent anywhere not at the shell prompt, in vi if i write
    accent it write \xe9 and in emacs if i write accent it write space.

    I make another test. Now if i create folder or file with my linux box and i
    write it on my freebsd server with nfs. I can see my french character but
    not if i login directly on my freebsd server. Any computer that access my
    files by network can see my french character. Only directly on the server i
    can't see my french character.

    thanks for your help!

    Yves

  11. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Le Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:25:48 GMT
    Yves Savoie a écrit:

    > I use my computer like a small files server. The computer who write files on
    > this server is in windows or linux and all use french canadien keyboard.
    > The files on this server have filename and pathname with french character.
    > If i have some files with link between them the link is broken because the
    > french character in the pathname is not supported.
    >
    > I use csh. I put this line in my /root/.cshrc and /home/user/.cshrc
    >
    > setenv LANG fr_CA
    > setenv LC_CTYPE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    > setenv LC_COLLATE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    >
    > after login i try
    > kbdcontrol -l fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
    > vidcontrol -f 8x16 iso-8x16.fnt
    >
    > and i try to write text with french character from console with no result.
    > I can see some system message in french but i don't see one message with
    > french character for now.
    > thanks!
    >
    > Yves

    Hmm...

    Check if your environment variables are actually set:
    env | grep LC

    Also you might want to set LC_ALL:
    setenv LC_ALL fr_CA.ISO8859-1

    If it still doesn't work, check if you have nls support in tcsh (should be in by default)
    tcsh --version

    Also you might want to switch to another shell and see what happens. (Just type 'sh' and see if you can get french characters)

    Thx

    Christian

    --
    Return address is base 64 encoded

  12. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Yves Savoie writes:
    > Christian Mangin wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> Please be more specific.
    >>
    >> Do you mean you don't get any accent when typing at the shell
    >> prompt ?
    >>
    >> Or are you trying to get some program (editor/mailer...) to
    >> recognize accented characters ?

    > I don't have any accent anywhere not at the shell prompt, in vi
    > if i write accent it write \xe9 and in emacs if i write accent
    > it write space.

    This is usually an indication that you *haven't* set the
    appropriate LC_XXX variables in your shell environment. Can you
    check your environment variables when this happens? It should be
    easy to see what you have set, by typing:

    env | fgrep LANG
    env | fgrep LC_

    Then copy/paste the output of these commands in a response and
    post it here.

    > I make another test. Now if i create folder or file with my
    > linux box and i write it on my freebsd server with nfs. I can
    > see my french character but not if i login directly on my
    > freebsd server. Any computer that access my files by network
    > can see my french character. Only directly on the server i
    > can't see my french character.

    That's cool. It means that FreeBSD doesn't really do anything to
    the French characters of the file name. Exactly as it should

    Regards,
    Giorgos

  13. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

    > Yves Savoie writes:
    >> Christian Mangin wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> Please be more specific.
    >>>
    >>> Do you mean you don't get any accent when typing at the shell
    >>> prompt ?
    >>>
    >>> Or are you trying to get some program (editor/mailer...) to
    >>> recognize accented characters ?

    >> I don't have any accent anywhere not at the shell prompt, in vi
    >> if i write accent it write \xe9 and in emacs if i write accent
    >> it write space.

    > This is usually an indication that you *haven't* set the
    > appropriate LC_XXX variables in your shell environment. Can you
    > check your environment variables when this happens? It should be
    > easy to see what you have set, by typing:
    >
    > env | fgrep LANG
    > env | fgrep LC_
    >
    > Then copy/paste the output of these commands in a response and
    > post it here.

    #env | fgrep LANG
    LANG=fr_CA

    #env | fgrep LC_
    LC_CTYPE=fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    LC_COLLATE=fr_CA.ISO8859-1

    >> I make another test. Now if i create folder or file with my
    >> linux box and i write it on my freebsd server with nfs. I can
    >> see my french character but not if i login directly on my
    >> freebsd server. Any computer that access my files by network
    >> can see my french character. Only directly on the server i
    >> can't see my french character.

    > That's cool. It means that FreeBSD doesn't really do anything to
    > the French characters of the file name. Exactly as it should
    >
    > Regards,
    > Giorgos

  14. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Christian Mangin wrote:

    > Le Tue, 20 Mar 2007 02:25:48 GMT
    > Yves Savoie a écrit:
    >

    >> I use my computer like a small files server. The computer who write files
    >> on this server is in windows or linux and all use french canadien
    >> keyboard. The files on this server have filename and pathname with french
    >> character. If i have some files with link between them the link is broken
    >> because the french character in the pathname is not supported.
    >>
    >> I use csh. I put this line in my /root/.cshrc and /home/user/.cshrc
    >>
    >> setenv LANG fr_CA
    >> setenv LC_CTYPE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    >> setenv LC_COLLATE fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    >>
    >> after login i try
    >> kbdcontrol -l fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
    >> vidcontrol -f 8x16 iso-8x16.fnt
    >>
    >> and i try to write text with french character from console with no
    >> result. I can see some system message in french but i don't see one
    >> message with french character for now.
    >> thanks!
    >>
    >> Yves
    >>

    > Hmm...
    >
    > Check if your environment variables are actually set:
    > env | grep LC

    #env | grep LC
    LC_CTYPE=fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    LC_COLLATE=fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    LC_ALL=fr_CA.ISO8859-1

    > Also you might want to set LC_ALL:
    > setenv LC_ALL fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    >
    > If it still doesn't work, check if you have nls support in tcsh (should be
    > in by default) tcsh --version

    #tcsh --version
    tcsh 6.14.00(Astron) 2005-03-25 (i386-intel-FreeBSD) option
    widw,nls,dl,al,kan,rh,color,filec

    > Also you might want to switch to another shell and see what happens. (Just
    > type 'sh' and see if you can get french characters)

    I try with sh and samething

    yves

  15. Re: How to setup franch canadien keyboard on my virtual console

    Le Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:35:28 GMT
    Yves Savoie a écrit:

    > Christian Mangin wrote:
    >

    > > Hmm...
    > >
    > > Check if your environment variables are actually set:
    > > env | grep LC

    > #env | grep LC
    > LC_CTYPE=fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    > LC_COLLATE=fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    > LC_ALL=fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    > >
    > > Also you might want to set LC_ALL:
    > > setenv LC_ALL fr_CA.ISO8859-1
    > >
    > > If it still doesn't work, check if you have nls support in tcsh (should be
    > > in by default) tcsh --version

    > #tcsh --version
    > tcsh 6.14.00(Astron) 2005-03-25 (i386-intel-FreeBSD) option
    > widw,nls,dl,al,kan,rh,color,filec
    >

    > > Also you might want to switch to another shell and see what happens. (Just
    > > type 'sh' and see if you can get french characters)
    > >

    > I try with sh and samething
    >
    > yves

    If you have the same problem with sh, the problem does not come from the c-shell...

    So back to square 1...
    On my system, I can get accent with /bin/sh on the console only by putting these 2 lines in rc.conf

    keymap="fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd"
    font8x16="iso-8x16.fnt"

    or just by executing these command as the other poster suggested:

    kbdcontrol -l fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd
    vidcontrol -f 8x16 iso-8x16.fnt

    (Do you get any messages when you run these commands ?)

    As an extra check, see if these 2 files are on your system (unless you did something funny they should be):

    ls -l /usr/share/syscons/fonts/iso-8x16.fnt
    ls -l /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/fr_CA.iso.acc.kbd

    When you use /bin/sh you don't even need to set the locale variables to have the accent.
    (But they are needed for tcsh or want to have your system localized)

    So if you keep failing, I suggest you switch keyboard just to be sure...

    Thx

    Christian
    --
    Return address is base 64 encoded