lpr on kde - BSD

This is a discussion on lpr on kde - BSD ; I've just installed 6.2 and with it KDE. Printing, via apsfilter, works fine from the commandline as root and user. However, as you've all guessed by now, KDE applications fail to print with the message "/usr/local/bin/lpr: Connection refused". Google found ...

  1. lpr on kde

    I've just installed 6.2 and with it KDE. Printing, via apsfilter, works
    fine from the commandline as root and user. However, as you've all guessed
    by now, KDE applications fail to print with the message
    "/usr/local/bin/lpr: Connection refused". Google found one solution for
    me, which is recompile x11/kdelibs3 with the flag -DWITHOUT_CUPS.

    So would simply "make -DWITHOUT_CUPS install clean" in the appropiate
    directory take care of this problem?

    --
    gwschenk@sdf.lonestar.org

  2. Re: lpr on kde

    Gary Schenk wrote:
    > I've just installed 6.2 and with it KDE. Printing, via apsfilter,

    works
    > fine from the commandline as root and user. However, as you've all guessed
    > by now, KDE applications fail to print with the message
    > "/usr/local/bin/lpr: Connection refused". Google found one solution for
    > me, which is recompile x11/kdelibs3 with the flag -DWITHOUT_CUPS.
    >
    > So would simply "make -DWITHOUT_CUPS install clean" in the appropiate
    > directory take care of this problem?

    OK, so I ran "make -DWITHOUT_CUPS install" in /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3.
    That went smoothly. I rebooted the system, just to make sure everything
    shutdown and restarted. Still get the same error message when trying to
    print from KDE applications.

    Any ideas on what to try next? Link /usr/local/bin/lpr tp /usr/bin/lpr?

    --
    gwschenk@sdf.lonestar.org

  3. Re: lpr on kde

    After replacing Gary Schenk with a small shell script on Friday 16 February
    2007 00:18, the following appeared on stdout:

    > Any ideas on what to try next? Link /usr/local/bin/lpr tp /usr/bin/lpr?

    Not quite, since CUPS and its brain-dead [1] lpr will still be on your
    system, confusing KDE which looks in /usr/local/bin first. I find it
    expedient to simply rm the thing from /usr/local/bin, but it can return to
    bite you on the posterior as it will reappear as soon as cups-base gets
    [re]installed. If you try to ln -s /usr/bin/lpr /usr/local/bin/lpr, it'll
    moan about the file existing. Just delete the thing and remember you did so
    on your next portupgrade. Or pkg_info cups-base-\* and make sure it's not a
    dependency of anything else then pkg_deinstall it, at which point you can
    forget all about it and sober up knowing that what drove you to drink in
    the first place has gone for good.

    [1] IMHO, of course. Making something of known behaviour that is in the base
    system and my path into something that behaves quite differently, and gives
    hardly any clues as to why it is doing so, is bad enough in my book to be
    tagged thus. To make matters worse, KDE without CUPS was broken for me a
    while ago, so I had to build it with the bloated monstrosity [2] and then
    manually get rid of the confusing
    afterwards.

    [2] Can you tell I have a strong bias {prejudice} between the excellent
    APSFILTER with the base system's lpd and {against} CUPS? Yes, Michel, I
    know we've had this discussion before. Ghod help us were we all the
    same ;-)
    --
    Radio glossary #42
    Licence: A document which has terms and conditions proportional to the

  4. Re: lpr on kde

    Chronos wrote:

    > ... Or pkg_info cups-base-\* and make
    > sure it's not a dependency of anything else then pkg_deinstall it,
    > at which point you can forget all about it and sober up knowing that
    > what drove you to drink in the first place has gone for good.

    Yikes. A lot of stuff require this cups-base thingy:

    babo# pkg_info cups-base-\*
    Information for cups-base-1.2.2:

    Comment:
    The Common UNIX Printing System

    Required by:
    qt-3.3.6_3
    arts-1.5.4,1
    kdelibs-3.5.4_4
    kdeaccessibility-3.5.4
    kdeadmin-3.5.4
    kdebase-kompmgr-3.5.4
    kdebase-3.5.4_4
    kdeartwork-3.5.4_2
    kdeedu-3.5.4
    kdegames-3.5.4
    poppler-qt-0.5.4
    kdegraphics-3.5.4
    kdemultimedia-3.5.4_1
    kdenetwork-3.5.4
    kdepim-3.5.4_1
    kdesdk-3.5.4
    kdetoys-3.5.4
    kdeutils-3.5.4
    kdevelop-3.3.4
    kdewebdev-3.5.4,2
    koffice-1.5.2,2
    kde-3.5.4
    hpijs-2.1.4
    apsfilter-7.2.8

    I looked at the Makefile for kde3 and didn't see an option to make
    WITHOUT_CUPS. I'll pkg_deinstall and see what happens. If it breaks,
    well, there is always fvwm. Thanks for the hint.

    --
    Gary

  5. Re: lpr on kde

    gwschenkFUZZ@socal.rr.com wrote:
    > Chronos wrote:
    >
    > > ... Or pkg_info cups-base-\* and make
    > > sure it's not a dependency of anything else then pkg_deinstall it,
    > > at which point you can forget all about it and sober up knowing that
    > > what drove you to drink in the first place has gone for good.

    > I looked at the Makefile for kde3 and didn't see an option to make
    > WITHOUT_CUPS. I'll pkg_deinstall and see what happens. If it breaks,
    > well, there is always fvwm. Thanks for the hint.

    Of course i am a CUPS lover, not a CUPS basher, but i see there is a
    package called:
    kdelibs-nocups-3.5.5.tbz
    in ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/kde/
    From this i infer that it is probably possible to install kde without
    CUPS dependency.

    --

    Michel TALON

  6. Re: lpr on kde

    I'm getting the same thing....
    Normally what we would do is

    cd /etc/rc.d
    chmod +x rc.lpnrg
    chmod -x rc.cups

    reboot

    checkpc -f

    reboot

    Beware.. this may blow away your current printcap file. Back her up before trying.
    You should also have to go into KDE and change the printers to use lpnrg.

+ Reply to Thread