non-local file system mounting? - BSD

This is a discussion on non-local file system mounting? - BSD ; Hi all, Does anyone know of and regularly use any crypto-secured file system access mechanism with FreeBSD as the server? Ie, is there some sort of long distance/internet version of NFS or (at a pinch) SMB or something else? The ...

  1. non-local file system mounting?

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know of and regularly use any crypto-secured file system
    access mechanism with FreeBSD as the server? Ie, is there some sort of
    long distance/internet version of NFS or (at a pinch) SMB or something
    else?

    The usual route for remote file access that I am familiar with is to set
    up a VPN, and use a regular file system inside that. That usually
    involves a bunch of painful routing and network configuration,
    particularly when the client end wants to maintain connections to other
    services at it's local end.

    Something like an SSL/https connection would be perfect. Is WebDAV what
    I'm looking for? Something based on SSH, maybe? Something as simple to
    set up as rsync would be nice, but a live mount, rather than a one-shot
    command.

    If the client end can be OS-X, Windows and FreeBSD, that'd be perfect...

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

  2. Re: non-local file system mounting?

    On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:14:54 +1100, Andrew Reilly wrote:
    > Does anyone know of and regularly use any crypto-secured file system
    > access mechanism with FreeBSD as the server? Ie, is there some sort of
    > long distance/internet version of NFS or (at a pinch) SMB or something
    > else?

    [snip]

    > Something like an SSL/https connection would be perfect. Is WebDAV what
    > I'm looking for? Something based on SSH, maybe? Something as simple to
    > set up as rsync would be nice, but a live mount, rather than a one-shot
    > command.
    >
    > If the client end can be OS-X, Windows and FreeBSD, that'd be perfect...

    After a bit of actual looking, I believe that I can answer this myself.
    The client end wants fusefs-sshfs (which is a way to make sftp behave like
    a mounted file system). This is in ports on FreeBSD, and is available on
    OS-X thanks to some google folk who have made MacFUSE and sshfs.app. There
    seems to be a commercial version for Windows called SftpDrive or similar.

    I suspect that WebDAV is also a plausible answer, but while that might
    make the clients simpler (both OS-X and Windows seem to be able to mount
    WebDAV file systems natively, and ports has fusefs-wdfs) but this requires
    installing and configuring apache, mod_dav and mod_encode, and it looks as
    though some registry-fiddling might be necessary on Windows, to make it
    use a compatible authentication system. Urgh. I hate configuring Apache.
    Fusefs-sshfs requires no server-side configuration at all, assuming that
    you already have sshd running (and who doesn't?)

    Happy now.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew