umount: device busy - BSD

This is a discussion on umount: device busy - BSD ; Trying to umount /mnt I got "device busy". There were no files on the device and as far as I could see, it wasn't a working directory for anything. I got a bit frustrated and before forcefully unmouting it, I ...

  1. umount: device busy

    Trying to umount /mnt I got "device busy". There
    were no files on the device and as far as I could
    see, it wasn't a working directory for anything.

    I got a bit frustrated and before forcefully
    unmouting it, I tried 'fstat /mnt', but that gave
    me nothing.

    The next time it happens, what should I do? How
    can I find out why a device is busy, when there's
    no obvious reason?

  2. Re: umount: device busy

    Lars Stokholm wrote:
    > Trying to umount /mnt I got "device busy". There
    > were no files on the device and as far as I could
    > see, it wasn't a working directory for anything.

    Not even your ow shell?

    > I got a bit frustrated and before forcefully
    > unmouting it, I tried 'fstat /mnt', but that gave
    > me nothing.
    >
    > The next time it happens, what should I do? How
    > can I find out why a device is busy, when there's
    > no obvious reason?

    You could try lsof (it's in the ports), but fstat should give you about
    the same info, so maybe it doesn't help at all.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: umount: device busy

    On 2007-02-10, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Lars Stokholm wrote:
    >> Trying to umount /mnt I got "device busy". There
    >> were no files on the device and as far as I could
    >> see, it wasn't a working directory for anything.

    > Not even your ow shell?

    Nope. I was logged in remotely via ssh, but no - not
    remote shells nor local shells.

    >> I got a bit frustrated and before forcefully
    >> unmouting it, I tried 'fstat /mnt', but that gave
    >> me nothing.
    >>
    >> The next time it happens, what should I do? How
    >> can I find out why a device is busy, when there's
    >> no obvious reason?

    > You could try lsof (it's in the ports), but fstat should give you about
    > the same info, so maybe it doesn't help at all.

    For the same reason I never tried it.

+ Reply to Thread