RAID 1 logical disk problem with Intel S5000PAL and FBSD6.2 - BSD

This is a discussion on RAID 1 logical disk problem with Intel S5000PAL and FBSD6.2 - BSD ; Hello, We purchased an Intel Server Platform SR1500ALSAS (with a S5000PAL motherboard). We have 2 SATA hard drives that are configured within the Intel RAID controller in RAID1. The hardware setup is ok but when booting with FreeBSD 6.2 for ...

  1. RAID 1 logical disk problem with Intel S5000PAL and FBSD6.2

    Hello,

    We purchased an Intel Server Platform SR1500ALSAS (with a S5000PAL
    motherboard).

    We have 2 SATA hard drives that are configured within the Intel RAID
    controller in RAID1. The hardware setup is ok but when booting with
    FreeBSD 6.2 for installation, we see both disk not the logical RAID
    drive...

    There is a RedHat and SUSE specific driver from Intel... but nothing
    for FreeBSD. Is there a workaround?
    Any ideas?

    Should we add a second RAID card that would be compatible with 6.2?
    OR
    Do we have to go with a RAID software solution... ?

    Thanks
    --
    Nick

  2. Re: RAID 1 logical disk problem with Intel S5000PAL and FBSD6.2

    Begin <1170908283.666326.244720@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups. com>
    On 2007-02-08, tempo@webmatique.ca wrote:
    > We have 2 SATA hard drives that are configured within the Intel RAID
    > controller in RAID1. The hardware setup is ok but when booting with
    > FreeBSD 6.2 for installation, we see both disk not the logical RAID
    > drive...

    Well, the intel site says about that board that it has ``SW RAID'', and
    not a real hardware raid. We just had such a discussion in this group.
    Same answer to you:

    > Should we add a second RAID card that would be compatible with 6.2?
    > OR
    > Do we have to go with a RAID software solution... ?

    In a word, yes.