configureing second HDD freebsd 6.0-stable - BSD

This is a discussion on configureing second HDD freebsd 6.0-stable - BSD ; Hi all; I have a Sun Netra X1 that I have running the above freebsd build on it. I have added a second drive to expand my space but I am unsure how to configure it into the system with ...

  1. configureing second HDD freebsd 6.0-stable

    Hi all;

    I have a Sun Netra X1 that I have running the above freebsd build on
    it.

    I have added a second drive to expand my space but I am unsure how to
    configure it into the system with out doing a whole new install

    really all i want to do is just have the new drive become a mount
    under /usr such as

    /usr/morefreespace (as an example)

    I thought about using sysinstall in the post installation section, but
    i'm worried about wiping out my system since it asks me basically to
    reassign new mounts for both drives.

    All help would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Gary

  2. Re: configureing second HDD freebsd 6.0-stable

    Begin <1170872565.162708.90880@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.c om>
    On 2007-02-07, KalistoCA wrote:
    > I have added a second drive to expand my space but I am unsure how to
    > configure it into the system with out doing a whole new install

    [snip!]

    Did you look at what the handbook says about this?

  3. Re: configureing second HDD freebsd 6.0-stable

    KalistoCA wrote:
    > I thought about using sysinstall in the post installation section, but
    > i'm worried about wiping out my system since it asks me basically to
    > reassign new mounts for both drives.

    FWIW, I use sysinstall (in the way you suggest) when adding new drives
    to my FreeBSD machines.
    sysinstall asks you which drive to work on when starting, that helps a lot.
    The way I do it is that I select a new mountpoint, say '/d2' or '/data2'
    (or '/data3' ... etc) and mount the new drive under that mountpoint.
    This is all handled by sysinstall.
    Then, if I want to put that drive space somewhene else, i simply create
    a symbolic link (man ln). There are (or at least, there used to be) some
    cases where symbolic links doesn't work, but they are very few.

    The only other thing imight have to do manually, is to edit the
    ownership and / or permissions of the mountpoint. simply unmount your
    drive, change what you need, and then mount it again.

    Very flexible, quite an elegant solution, IMHO.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

+ Reply to Thread