FreeBSD 6.2 won't install on IBM eServer Xseries 460 - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 6.2 won't install on IBM eServer Xseries 460 - BSD ; Given the lack of response on various net.locs, I'm starting to think I have to give up on FreeBSD and go with SUSE Linux, but I'm trying here as a last resort. We currently have an eServer xSeries 460 currently ...

  1. FreeBSD 6.2 won't install on IBM eServer Xseries 460

    Given the lack of response on various net.locs, I'm starting to think
    I have to give up on FreeBSD and go with SUSE Linux, but I'm trying
    here as a last resort.

    We currently have an eServer xSeries 460 currently running SUSE Linux
    Enterprise Server 10. While capable, there are a number of things that
    don't run ideally and are more difficult than necessary under SLES.
    Also, this is mainly a large, busy Postgres server and Postgres
    appears to really like running under FreeBSD. As a result, I would
    like to switch this machine over to FreeBSD 6.2, but I'm running into
    install problems.

    When installing 6.2 from CD, I note several problems. The first is an
    immediate kernel panic when installing without acpi disabled, with a
    message complaining that CPU id of 32 is too high (we have 2 nodes
    with 4 Xeons per chassis). When I boot into installer without acpi, I
    get a message telling me that only 4 gb of the 16 gb RAM per node.
    Presumably this is because installer is only at 32-bit. But the real
    show-stopper is that the installer doesn't recognize the internal IBM
    SAS drives.

    This issue is not dissimilar to one I've seen with some flavors of
    Linux on these machines: the drivers for the SAS drives need to be
    loaded before the installer can see the drives. However, IBM doesn't
    provide any drivers for FreeBSD, and I've not been able to find any.

    Of greater concern is that I've been able to find no reference to
    anyone successfully running FreeBSD on one of these machines. I'm not
    sure whether I'd be working hard to reach FreeBSD nirvana or just
    entering a time sink. I don't have a lot of time to experiment, and I
    would feel better about investing the time on FreeBSD (by far my
    preferred OS) if I could find a reference to someone actually
    successfully running on one of these boxes in 64-bit while utilizing
    all the processors.

    Can anyone help?

    BTW - the specs on the machine: IBM eServer xSeries 460 (2 nodes), 8x
    3ghz Xeons, 32gb RAM, 2x60gb SAS hard discs, Compaq MSA1000 SAN
    connected via Fibre Channel. I just need to make sure FreeBSD 6.2 can
    see/use all this hardware.

  2. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 won't install on IBM eServer Xseries 460

    Begin <1170773830.759595.28970@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.co m>
    On 2007-02-06, kids@izzyweb.com wrote:
    > Given the lack of response on various net.locs, I'm starting to think
    > I have to give up on FreeBSD and go with SUSE Linux, but I'm trying
    > here as a last resort.

    Reading that fills me with joy and eagerness to try and help you.

    [snip background story]
    [snip acpi unhappiness]
    > But the real show-stopper is that the installer doesn't recognize the
    > internal IBM SAS drives.
    >
    > This issue is not dissimilar to one I've seen with some flavors of
    > Linux on these machines: the drivers for the SAS drives need to be
    > loaded before the installer can see the drives. However, IBM doesn't
    > provide any drivers for FreeBSD, and I've not been able to find any.

    Then you'd best bug ibm about them. At the very least some helpful soul
    would need the documentation that explains the details so he can write a
    driver without pouring buckets of free time into reverse engineering.

    [snip character expounding]

    > Can anyone help?

    You could try and ask on freebsd-hardware; there are lots of people
    there with intimate hardware knowledge.