PS/2 keyboard via USB disables laptop built-in and plug-in keyboard - BSD

This is a discussion on PS/2 keyboard via USB disables laptop built-in and plug-in keyboard - BSD ; I have a HP laptop running FreeBSD 6.1 and wanted to use a PS/2 keyboard instead of the built-in keyboard. Unfortunately this model does not have PS/2 keyboard ports unless you have the docking station, so I elected instead to ...

  1. PS/2 keyboard via USB disables laptop built-in and plug-in keyboard

    I have a HP laptop running FreeBSD 6.1 and wanted to use a PS/2 keyboard
    instead of the built-in keyboard. Unfortunately this model does
    not have PS/2 keyboard ports unless you have the docking station, so
    I elected instead to use a PS/2 to USB converter cable that I had
    bought some years ago.

    This Y-shaped cable with the PS/2 keyboard and a PS/2 mouse connected
    works fine under Windows XP on the same laptop (and works on OSX when
    connected to a Power PC Mac), so all the hardware works.

    However, when I boot FreeBSD on that same laptop where XP works fine
    in its partition, both the built-in keyboard and the PS/2 keyboard are
    non-functional. The mouse still works and you can cut-n-paste commands
    left on the screen and they will execute, but both of the keyboards
    are completely dead. No caps lock light response on either, etc.
    Unplugging the USB cable instantly reactivates the built-in keyboard
    (Num Lock light comes back on) with no apparent ill effects.

    Re-connecting the USB cable at this point causes the built-in keyboard
    to go dead again and the Num Lock and Caps Lock lights go dark.
    Unplugging it causes the built-in keyboard to resume working.

    The PS/2 keyboard and mouse to USB cable was made/sold by Inland,
    stock number 08315.

    My reading of the FreeBSD 6.1 man pages related to ukbd indicates that
    both keyboards should work when a USB keyboard is connected (which I
    would assume this looks like to the OS) unless one or both are
    explictly disabled, and I haven't issued any commands to that effect.

    I've tried a couple of different PS/2 keyboards and they all
    do the same thing: work under Windows and OSX (Power PC box),
    but FreeBSD keyboard support dies the second the USB keyboard
    adapter and attached PS/2 keyboard comes into view.

    Is there some hidden knob or boot-time setting I lack? The kernel
    already has KBD_INSTALL_CDEV so that isn't the secret.

    Other USB peripherals attached (DVD burner, external hard disk
    and optical mouse) show no signs of issues with the USB system.

    Thanks for any suggestions! My wrists are dying for an answer!

    Frank Durda IV - send mail to this address and remove the "LOSE":
    http://nemesis.lonestar.org
    VISTA - Virtually Impossible to Secure or Trust Anyway
    Copyright 2007, ask before reprinting.

  2. Re: PS/2 keyboard via USB disables laptop built-in and plug-in keyboard

    Frank Durda IV writes:

    > I've tried a couple of different PS/2 keyboards and they all
    > do the same thing: work under Windows and OSX (Power PC box),
    > but FreeBSD keyboard support dies the second the USB keyboard
    > adapter and attached PS/2 keyboard comes into view.

    I had problems on my desktop PC with a USB keyboard only when the legacy
    USB support in the BIOS was turned on. It seemed particularly triggered
    when I pressed any keys during boot, in the bootloader, etc.

    Try ensuring that legacy USB support is disabled in your BIOS. And,
    irrelevant to the hotplug issue, avoid hitting any keys during boot.

    --
    vsync
    http://quadium.net/~vsync/

    READ CAREFULLY. By receiving this email you agree, on behalf of your
    employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
    any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
    shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
    non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
    have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
    and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
    privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to
    release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.
    For further details please visit http://www.reasonableagreement.org/

+ Reply to Thread