Can't run KDM after upgrade to 6.2 - BSD

This is a discussion on Can't run KDM after upgrade to 6.2 - BSD ; I've just upgraded to 6.2-RELEASE using Colin Percival's new freebsd-update scipt . Everything ran very quickly and smoothly, much easier than upgrading from the CDROM. Although the base system upgrade went OK I've hit a problem when I try to ...

  1. Can't run KDM after upgrade to 6.2

    .
    Everything ran very quickly and smoothly, much easier than upgrading from
    the CDROM.

    Although the base system upgrade went OK I've hit a problem when I try to
    login via KDM, it accepts my password but throws me straight back to the
    KDM welcome screen. It happens for all users so it looks like a KDE problem
    rather than a user configuration error.

    The only error message I can find is in .xsession-errors in the users home
    directory:

    > usage: mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ...
    > mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix
    > Missing name for redirect.
    > .: missing filename

    Any suggestions where I should look to track this one down?

    --
    Mike Clarke

  2. Re: Can't run KDM after upgrade to 6.2

    Mike Clarke :

    Hi,

    > The only error message I can find is in .xsession-errors in the users
    > home directory:
    >
    >> usage: mktemp [-d] [-q] [-t prefix] [-u] template ...
    >> mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] -t prefix
    >> Missing name for redirect.
    >> .: missing filename

    > Any suggestions where I should look to track this one down?

    I saw this problem but i don't remember what i did to solve it. I think i
    did a rm * into /usr/local/share/config/kdm (not sure for the path, i'm on
    Windows) and then 'genkdmconfig'.

  3. Re: Can't run KDM after upgrade to 6.2

    Patrick Lamaizière wrote:

    > I saw this problem but i don't remember what i did to solve it. I think i
    > did a rm * into /usr/local/share/config/kdm (not sure for the path, i'm on
    > Windows) and then 'genkdmconfig'.

    I don't appear to have a file named genkdmconfig anywhere on my system.
    ..
    --
    Mike Clarke

  4. Re: Can't run KDM after upgrade to 6.2

    Mike Clarke wrote:

    > Patrick Lamaizière wrote:
    >
    >> I saw this problem but i don't remember what i did to solve it. I think i
    >> did a rm * into /usr/local/share/config/kdm (not sure for the path, i'm
    >> on Windows) and then 'genkdmconfig'.

    > I don't appear to have a file named genkdmconfig anywhere on my system.
    > .

    /usr/local/bin/genkdmconf

    Personnally i had recently a similar problem, the culprit was
    /etc/nsswitch.conf.

  5. Re: Can't run KDM after upgrade to 6.2

    Michel Talon wrote:

    > Mike Clarke wrote:
    >
    >> Patrick Lamaizière wrote:
    >>
    >>> I saw this problem but i don't remember what i did to solve it. I think
    >>> i did a rm * into /usr/local/share/config/kdm (not sure for the path,
    >>> i'm on Windows) and then 'genkdmconfig'.

    >> I don't appear to have a file named genkdmconfig anywhere on my system.
    >> .

    > /usr/local/bin/genkdmconf
    >
    > Personnally i had recently a similar problem, the culprit was
    > /etc/nsswitch.conf.

    Thanks Patrick and Michael, running genkdmconf fixed things.

    It looks like /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsession was the culprit, in 6.1
    line 14 was xsess_tmp=`mktemp` and became
    xsess_tmp=`mktemp /tmp/xsess-env-XXXXXX`in 6.2 after running genkdmconf.
    Looking at the man page for mktemp I'm surprised it ever worked since the
    template doesn't seem to be optional.

    --
    Mike Clarke

+ Reply to Thread