Where is my CVSROOT? - BSD

This is a discussion on Where is my CVSROOT? - BSD ; I have read man release and the comments at the top of the Makefile in /usr/src/release and I still do not know what the value of the CVSROOT parameter should be. This is the situation: I have my source in ...

  1. Where is my CVSROOT?

    I have read man release and the comments at the top of the Makefile
    in /usr/src/release and I still do not know what the value of the
    CVSROOT parameter should be.

    This is the situation:

    I have my source in the usual place: /usr/src .
    I update my source with cvsup which I run manually (not by cron).
    I have freshly built and installed 6.2-STABLE (with matching kernel).
    I have not cvsup'd since.
    I have not disturbed the object tree.
    I did not cross compile and I do not have other versions of sources
    other places.

    I have plenty of space where I want my CHROOTDIR, which I elected to
    call 6.2-STABLE.

    I want to make isos that I can burn to cds of this release as it exits now
    on the my live system.

    I just don't know what to tell make release for CVSROOT. I know it is
    supposed to be relative to the real root and not to chroot, but I still have
    no clue what it means. I have examines my cvsup supfile, and it has
    the default base (/var/db) and the default prefix (/usr).

    --
    Lars Eighner
    Countdown: 716 days to go.

  2. Re: Where is my CVSROOT?

    On 04 Feb 2007 06:33:03 GMT, Lars Eighner wrote:
    > I have read man release and the comments at the top of the Makefile
    > in /usr/src/release and I still do not know what the value of the
    > CVSROOT parameter should be.
    >
    > This is the situation:
    >
    > I have my source in the usual place: /usr/src .
    > I update my source with cvsup which I run manually (not by cron).

    If you are not downloading a *mirror* of the CVS repository, but just a
    particular snapshot of the sources (i.e. your tag= is not set to 'cvs'
    but to something else in the supfile), your CVSROOT doesn't really
    exist.

    A full CVS mirror takes quite a bit of space: around 3.3 GB of space for
    the full 'src', 'doc', 'www' and 'projects' trees, the last time I
    checked. So make sure you have a *lot* of free disk space if you plan
    to mirror the entire CVS repository, and host the checked out sources,
    the object code and the distribution images of the released building
    process.

  3. Re: Where is my CVSROOT?

    On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 08:49:45 +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

    > On 04 Feb 2007 06:33:03 GMT, Lars Eighner wrote:
    >> I have read man release and the comments at the top of the Makefile
    >> in /usr/src/release and I still do not know what the value of the
    >> CVSROOT parameter should be.
    >>
    >> This is the situation:
    >>
    >> I have my source in the usual place: /usr/src .
    >> I update my source with cvsup which I run manually (not by cron).

    > If you are not downloading a *mirror* of the CVS repository, but just a
    > particular snapshot of the sources (i.e. your tag= is not set to 'cvs'
    > but to something else in the supfile), your CVSROOT doesn't really
    > exist.
    >
    > A full CVS mirror takes quite a bit of space: around 3.3 GB of space for
    > the full 'src', 'doc', 'www' and 'projects' trees, the last time I
    > checked. So make sure you have a *lot* of free disk space if you plan
    > to mirror the entire CVS repository, and host the checked out sources,
    > the object code and the distribution images of the released building
    > process.

    Just to provide a little additional info to the original poster:

    If you want to keep a local CVS repository, use the cvs-supfile under
    /usr/share/examples/cvsup. Your CVSROOT will then be /home/ncvs, which
    you can use to checkout/update your /usr/{src,ports,doc} trees.

    HTH

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier

+ Reply to Thread