Hardware raid1 - BSD

This is a discussion on Hardware raid1 - BSD ; I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2 on hardware raid 1 field. It recognises two disks instead of one. AFAIK it should work imediately? It's an IBM machine with hostraid 320. Thanks for any advice....

  1. Hardware raid1

    I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2 on hardware raid 1 field.
    It recognises two disks instead of one.
    AFAIK it should work imediately?

    It's an IBM machine with hostraid 320.

    Thanks for any advice.

  2. Re: Hardware raid1

    On Fri, 02 Feb 2007 15:02:31 +0100, Walter Sobchak wrote:
    : I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2 on hardware raid 1 field.
    : It recognises two disks instead of one.
    : AFAIK it should work imediately?

    If your 320 is anything like my 3ware Escalade you'll have to first
    build the raid array with the controller's own firmware otherwise it's
    going to look like two ordinary drives

  3. Re: Hardware raid1

    Begin
    On 2007-02-02, Walter Sobchak wrote:
    > I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2 on hardware raid 1 field.
    > It recognises two disks instead of one.
    > AFAIK it should work imediately?
    >
    > It's an IBM machine with hostraid 320.

    Let's see if I understand correctly what is going on here. You're trying
    to setup a hardware RAID configuration. If it is a hardware RAID, the
    system should see it as one device, no? Then, if it doesn't, one could
    conclude that you probably haven't told the hardware what to do.

    If that is the case, what would you have FreeBSD do about the hardware?

  4. Re: Hardware raid1

    jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 2007-02-02, Walter Sobchak wrote:
    >> I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2 on hardware raid 1 field.
    >> It recognises two disks instead of one.
    >> AFAIK it should work imediately?
    >>
    >> It's an IBM machine with hostraid 320.

    > Let's see if I understand correctly what is going on here. You're trying
    > to setup a hardware RAID configuration. If it is a hardware RAID, the
    > system should see it as one device, no? Then, if it doesn't, one could
    > conclude that you probably haven't told the hardware what to do.
    >
    > If that is the case, what would you have FreeBSD do about the hardware?

    I confirmed with some configuration utility that raid is build fine.
    I think that this is not a real hardware raid and that I should use a
    software one.
    AFAIK it is relatively easy to setup on freebsd after installing on one
    drive first?

  5. Re: Hardware raid1

    Begin
    On 2007-02-02, Walter Sobchak wrote:
    > AFAIK it is relatively easy to setup on freebsd after installing on one
    > drive first?

    Certainly easier than trying to set it up from sysinstall. Setting up
    vinum on the rootdisk seems to be tricky but possible also.

  6. Re: Hardware raid1

    jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 2007-02-02, Walter Sobchak wrote:
    >> AFAIK it is relatively easy to setup on freebsd after installing on one
    >> drive first?

    > Certainly easier than trying to set it up from sysinstall. Setting up
    > vinum on the rootdisk seems to be tricky but possible also.

    What would you suggest?
    The vinum or geom?

  7. Re: Hardware raid1

    Walter Sobchak wrote:
    > I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2 on hardware raid 1 field.
    > It recognises two disks instead of one.
    > AFAIK it should work imediately?
    >
    > It's an IBM machine with hostraid 320.

    That's no a HW-RAID.
    "Host" != "Hardware".

    cheers,
    Rainer

  8. Re: Hardware raid1

    Rainer Duffner wrote:
    > Walter Sobchak wrote:
    >> I'm trying to install freebsd 6.2 on hardware raid 1 field.
    >> It recognises two disks instead of one.
    >> AFAIK it should work imediately?
    >>
    >> It's an IBM machine with hostraid 320.

    > That's no a HW-RAID.
    > "Host" != "Hardware".
    >

    > cheers,
    > Rainer

    You are right. That's not a HW-RAID.
    I installed freebsd on one disk and later created a software raid with geom.
    I am wondering about the swap space.
    In the handbook it says:

    "It should be noted that commenting out the swap file entry in fstab
    will most likely require you to re-establish a different way of enabling
    swap space. "

    So should I create a swapfile and why would I create a swap partition
    during the first install if it was supposed to be removed from fsdisk?

+ Reply to Thread