    Seven

  2. Re: Hello,All, how can I let vsftpd sever work up to speed 10m/s!

    Begin <1170408956.153365.261410@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>
    On 2007-02-02, s_yzlu@yahoo.com.cn wrote:
    > I now am using vsftpd, But the highest speed of the server just 6.5m/
    > s.
    > But why I can download with 10m/s from other's vsftpd server?

    `m/s' stands for meters per second, and is not usually used to measure
    bandwidth. Instead, the measure is megabits per second, or Mbit/s.
    Megabytes per second, or MByte/s, is what applications see. Perhaps they
    try to convert that back to Mbit/s, but the conversion should include
    the network overhead, and that they cannot).

    > I heard something from my friend that other processes' port would
    > share the stream, didn't they?

    I don't know what your friend told you. In fact, I don't know what
    you're trying to measure, what your setup looks like, and consequently I
    don't know whether the numbers you give above are reasonable, low, high,
    or even possible.

    If you want help, you'll have to ask your question in such a way that it
    can be answered. See the essay _How to ask questions the smart way_, on
    just that topic, and easily findable on the 'net.

  3. Re: Hello,All, how can I let vsftpd sever work up to speed 10m/s!

    On Feb 2, 8:25 pm, jpd wrote:
    > Begin <1170408956.153365.261...@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>
    > On 2007-02-02, s_y...@yahoo.com.cn wrote:
    >
    > > I now am using vsftpd, But the highest speed of the server just 6.5m/
    > > s.
    > > But why I can download with 10m/s from other's vsftpd server?

    > `m/s' stands for meters per second, and is not usually used to measure
    > bandwidth. Instead, the measure is megabits per second, or Mbit/s.
    > Megabytes per second, or MByte/s, is what applications see. Perhaps they
    > try to convert that back to Mbit/s, but the conversion should include
    > the network overhead, and that they cannot).
    >
    > > I heard something from my friend that other processes' port would
    > > share the stream, didn't they?

    > I don't know what your friend told you. In fact, I don't know what
    > you're trying to measure, what your setup looks like, and consequently I
    > don't know whether the numbers you give above are reasonable, low, high,
    > or even possible.
    >
    > If you want help, you'll have to ask your question in such a way that it
    > can be answered. See the essay _How to ask questions the smart way_, on
    > just that topic, and easily findable on the 'net.
    >
    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

    Thank you very much!

  4. Re: Hello,All, how can I let vsftpd sever work up to speed 10m/s!

    On Feb 2, 8:25 pm, jpd wrote:
    > Begin <1170408956.153365.261...@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om>
    > On 2007-02-02, s_y...@yahoo.com.cn wrote:
    >
    > > I now am using vsftpd, But the highest speed of the server just 6.5m/
    > > s.
    > > But why I can download with 10m/s from other's vsftpd server?

    > `m/s' stands for meters per second, and is not usually used to measure
    > bandwidth. Instead, the measure is megabits per second, or Mbit/s.
    > Megabytes per second, or MByte/s, is what applications see. Perhaps they
    > try to convert that back to Mbit/s, but the conversion should include
    > the network overhead, and that they cannot).

    I mean the download speed is 10MByte/s while downloading from server.

    > > I heard something from my friend that other processes' port would
    > > share the stream, didn't they?

    > I don't know what your friend told you. In fact, I don't know what
    > you're trying to measure, what your setup looks like, and consequently I
    > don't know whether the numbers you give above are reasonable, low, high,
    > or even possible.

    Actually, maybe I cannot express well in English.
    In fact, I want to increase my vsftpd server's speed to 10Mbytes/m.
    But the highest speed
    of my server just can reach to 6.5Mbytes/s. I had searched on Google ,
    Yahoo and Baidu,
    I couldn't find a proper essay for the problem.

    > If you want help, you'll have to ask your question in such a way that it
    > can be answered. See the essay _How to ask questions the smart way_, on
    > just that topic, and easily findable on the 'net.

    I really feel I can learn on you. I am learning and improving my
    English and
    computer program skills.
    Thank you very much indeed, sir.

    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  5. Re: Hello,All, how can I let vsftpd sever work up to speed 10m/s!

    Begin <1170424335.018512.271130@a34g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>
    On 2007-02-02, s_yzlu@yahoo.com.cn wrote:
    > In fact, I want to increase my vsftpd server's speed to 10Mbytes/m.
    > But the highest speed of my server just can reach to 6.5Mbytes/s. I
    > had searched on Google , Yahoo and Baidu, I couldn't find a proper
    > essay for the problem.

    That would probably be because there is no universal way to change
    6.5MBytes/s into 10MByte/s. You need to explain your setup and your
    measurement methodology in some more detail than you have done so far
    for anyone here to be able to give any sort of opinion on it.

    FWIW, I know very little about vsftpd, but I do know it does not
    necessairily have to be the cause of the apparent problem.

    > I really feel I can learn on you. I am learning and improving my
    > English and computer program skills.

    All I can do is give you pointers. For example, there is an excellent
    course in English, the Cambridge course I believe it is called,
    for which your local British consulate takes exams and hands out
    certificates. You might ask them about it.

  6. Re: Hello,All, how can I let vsftpd sever work up to speed 10m/s!

    Finally,I think it depends on the physical port I use.
    In some other place I just use default configure and the speed can be
    up to 10mb/second.

  7. Re: Hello,All, how can I let vsftpd sever work up to speed 10m/s!

    s_yzlu@yahoo.com.cn writes:

    > Finally,I think it depends on the physical port I use.
    > In some other place I just use default configure and the speed can be
    > up to 10mb/second.

    Try the "media" argument to ifconfig. For example:

    ifconfig $interface media 100baseTX

    If it works you can add "media 100baseTX" to ifconfig_$interface in
    /etc/rc.conf.

    --
    vsync
    http://quadium.net/~vsync/

    READ CAREFULLY. By receiving this email you agree, on behalf of your
    employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from
    any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service,
    shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure,
    non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I
    have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents
    and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and
    privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to
    release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.
    For further details please visit http://www.reasonableagreement.org/

+ Reply to Thread