FreeBSD Desktop - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD Desktop - BSD ; Hello, I have recently downloaded FreeBSD 6.2 for AMD64. I am a long-time home linux user and have not used a BSD since Free BSD 4.5. I like the FreeBSD concept, speed, stability, and ports system. So, with the new ...

  1. FreeBSD Desktop

    Hello,

    I have recently downloaded FreeBSD 6.2 for AMD64. I am a long-time
    home linux user and have not used a BSD since Free BSD 4.5. I like
    the FreeBSD concept, speed, stability, and ports system. So, with the
    new version released, I wanted to give it another try as a desktop
    machine. I am a bit dissatisfied with the current level of stability
    and integration in the Linux distros that I have used.

    I intend to install BSD in the next couple of days. This is a desktop
    machine for home use. I prefer GNOME as a desktop. Productivity
    (like open office), internet applications, music, and video are all
    important as is support of my integrated Nvidia card. Bells and
    whistles wouldn't hurt--things like Java, Flash and appropriate. Any
    tips on a fast track to making FreeBSD a comfortable desktop
    environment for my needs? Or will I end up unhappy with FreeBSD?
    Again, I have not used a BSD in a while, so I am a re-newbie.

    Thanks for your advice,

    Brett

  2. Re: FreeBSD Desktop

    On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:03:39 -0800, Brett Magill wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have recently downloaded FreeBSD 6.2 for AMD64. I am a long-time home
    > linux user and have not used a BSD since Free BSD 4.5. I like the FreeBSD
    > concept, speed, stability, and ports system. So, with the new version
    > released, I wanted to give it another try as a desktop machine.

    Yes, freebsd runs as if it were sleek. It's certainly nice.

    > I am a
    > bit dissatisfied with the current level of stability and integration in
    > the Linux distros that I have used.

    You should try debian then.

    > I intend to install BSD in the next couple of days. This is a desktop
    > machine for home use. I prefer GNOME as a desktop. Productivity (like
    > open office), internet applications, music, and video are all important as
    > is support of my integrated Nvidia card. Bells and whistles wouldn't
    > hurt

    Ouch! ssshhhhhh..... don't mention bells and whistles and freebsd in the
    same breath.

    >--things like Java, Flash and appropriate.

    Couldn't agree more. Shockwave wouldn't go amiss either - it's the kids,
    they like to play habbohotel.

    You can certainly download a prepackaged for 6.2 java jre and/or jdk (1.5)
    from the freebsdfoundation.org
    http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml

    > Any tips on a fast track
    > to making FreeBSD a comfortable desktop environment for my needs? Or will
    > I end up unhappy with FreeBSD? Again, I have not used a BSD in a while, so
    > I am a re-newbie.

    freebsd is just great. It's got most things linux has.

    > Thanks for your advice,

    np.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  3. Re: FreeBSD Desktop

    Brett Magill wrote:

    > I have recently downloaded FreeBSD 6.2 for AMD64. I am a long-time
    > home linux user and have not used a BSD since Free BSD 4.5. I like
    > the FreeBSD concept, speed, stability, and ports system. So, with the
    > new version released, I wanted to give it another try as a desktop
    > machine. I am a bit dissatisfied with the current level of stability
    > and integration in the Linux distros that I have used.
    >
    > I intend to install BSD in the next couple of days. This is a desktop
    > machine for home use. I prefer GNOME as a desktop. Productivity
    > (like open office), internet applications, music, and video are all
    > important as is support of my integrated Nvidia card. Bells and
    > whistles wouldn't hurt--things like Java, Flash and appropriate. Any
    > tips on a fast track to making FreeBSD a comfortable desktop
    > environment for my needs? Or will I end up unhappy with FreeBSD?
    > Again, I have not used a BSD in a while, so I am a re-newbie.

    Some applications don't work on the AMD64 version, so sticking with i386
    is probably better for now.

    If you want automatic installation:

    http://www.pcbsd.org
    http://desktopbsd.net
    http://www.freesbie.org
    http://frenzy.org.ua/en

    The first two are KDE, the second is Xfce or Fluxbox, don't know about
    the last.

    GNOME seems to be a hassle to update, at least on FreeBSD.

    If you are comfortable with the ports system, I would recommend the new
    Xfce 4.4 as a good compromise of small, fast, and nice to use.

    Java works, Flash 7 somewhat works although it's annoying to set up.

    Firefox/Mozilla/Seamonkey are no problem, OpenOffice.org is available
    through ports or packages.

  4. Re: FreeBSD Desktop

    Warren Block wrote:

    > If you are comfortable with the ports system, I would recommend the new
    > Xfce 4.4 as a good compromise of small, fast, and nice to use.

    Clarification:

    If you are comfortable with a command line, I would recommend installing
    the base FreeBSD and adding Xfce 4.4 from ports or packages.

  5. Re: FreeBSD Desktop

    On 2007-02-01, Brett Magill wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have recently downloaded FreeBSD 6.2 for AMD64. I am a long-time
    > home linux user and have not used a BSD since Free BSD 4.5.

    FreeBSD changeover>

    Hi Brett;

    I've just done the same thing, primarily over the decision to not
    have a development version on the Linux kernel (stupid!) which I
    believe is goig to lead to massive code problems in not to many years.

    What prompted your change?

    Cheers

    Joel

+ Reply to Thread