Help with cclient - BSD

This is a discussion on Help with cclient - BSD ; Trying to get pop or imap working on FBSD 6.2. It's been a while since I have last loaded a new mail server. Configured cclient make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes && make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes install Everytime I try to connect on 110 or 143 ...

  1. Help with cclient

    Trying to get pop or imap working on FBSD 6.2. It's been a while
    since I have last loaded a new mail server.

    Configured cclient

    make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes && make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes
    install

    Everytime I try to connect on 110 or 143 I get connection refused.
    What am I missing ?

    # telnet localhost 110
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
    or
    telnet localhost 143
    Trying 127.0.0.1...
    telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

    /etc/inetd.conf -

    #Local changes done from here down

    pop2 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/ipop2d
    ipop2d
    pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/ipop3d
    ipop3d
    imap4 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/imapd
    imapd

    All files are there. After the make of the port cclient does talk
    about making pam.conf entries but I have never had to do that.

    If PAM authentication support has been compiled in you will need to
    add
    something like the following lines to /etc/pam.conf (PAM
    authentication is
    default):

    imap auth required pam_unix.so
    imap account required pam_unix.so
    imap session required pam_unix.so
    pop3 auth required pam_unix.so
    pop3 account required pam_unix.so
    pop3 session required pam_unix.so

    Any input would be appreciated...I'm stuck

    btb

  2. Re: Help with cclient

    On Jan 31, 6:15 pm, "Brent Bolin" wrote:
    > Trying to get pop or imap working on FBSD 6.2. It's been a while
    > since I have last loaded a new mail server.
    >
    > Configured cclient
    >
    > make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes && make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes
    > install
    >
    > Everytime I try to connect on 110 or 143 I get connection refused.
    > What am I missing ?
    >
    > # telnet localhost 110
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
    > or
    > telnet localhost 143
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
    >
    > /etc/inetd.conf -
    >
    > #Local changes done from here down
    >
    > pop2 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/ipop2d
    > ipop2d
    > pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/ipop3d
    > ipop3d
    > imap4 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/imapd
    > imapd
    >
    > All files are there. After the make of the port cclient does talk
    > about making pam.conf entries but I have never had to do that.
    >
    > If PAM authentication support has been compiled in you will need to
    > add
    > something like the following lines to /etc/pam.conf (PAM
    > authentication is
    > default):
    >
    > imap auth required pam_unix.so
    > imap account required pam_unix.so
    > imap session required pam_unix.so
    > pop3 auth required pam_unix.so
    > pop3 account required pam_unix.so
    > pop3 session required pam_unix.so
    >
    > Any input would be appreciated...I'm stuck
    >
    > btb

    After the enties were put in /etc/inetd.conf

    # ps auxwww|grep init
    root 1 0.0 0.0 776 268 ?? SLs 9:41AM 0:00.43 /sbin/
    init --
    root 54988 0.0 0.0 404 272 p1 R+ 6:25PM 0:00.00 grep
    init
    # kill -HUP 1

    Should have worked

  3. Re: Help with cclient

    Brent Bolin wrote:

    > Trying to get pop or imap working on FBSD 6.2. It's been a while
    > since I have last loaded a new mail server.
    >
    > Configured cclient
    >
    > make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes && make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes
    > install
    >
    > Everytime I try to connect on 110 or 143 I get connection refused.
    > What am I missing ?
    >
    > # telnet localhost 110
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
    > or
    > telnet localhost 143
    > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

    > /etc/inetd.conf -

    inetd is disabled by default. Do you have inetd_enable="YES" in
    /etc/rc.conf?

  4. Re: Help with cclient

    On Jan 31, 8:28 pm, Warren Block wrote:
    > Brent Bolin wrote:
    >
    > > Trying to get pop or imap working on FBSD 6.2. It's been a while
    > > since I have last loaded a new mail server.

    > > Configured cclient

    > > make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes && make WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT=yes
    > > install

    > > Everytime I try to connect on 110 or 143 I get connection refused.
    > > What am I missing ?

    > > # telnet localhost 110
    > > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    > > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
    > > or
    > > telnet localhost 143
    > > Trying 127.0.0.1...
    > > telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused
    > > telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
    > > /etc/inetd.conf -

    > inetd is disabled by default. Do you have inetd_enable="YES" in
    > /etc/rc.conf?
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    You are correct...I'm a dummy.

    Fixed

  5. Re: Help with cclient

    Brent Bolin wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 8:28 pm, Warren Block wrote:
    >>
    >> inetd is disabled by default. Do you have inetd_enable="YES" in
    >> /etc/rc.conf?

    > You are correct...I'm a dummy.

    No, it's easy to miss. Most things now don't use inetd because of the
    security implications. That can probably be done with cclient.

  6. Re: Help with cclient

    On Feb 1, 10:01 am, Warren Block wrote:
    > Brent Bolin wrote:
    > > On Jan 31, 8:28 pm, Warren Block wrote:

    > >> inetd is disabled by default. Do you have inetd_enable="YES" in
    > >> /etc/rc.conf?

    > > You are correct...I'm a dummy.

    > No, it's easy to miss. Most things now don't use inetd because of the
    > security implications. That can probably be done with cclient.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    There a number of things that have changed since my last load (5.4)

    Entire /usr/local/etc/rd.d is different... no more package.sh

    Anyway thanks for your reply. Good to know FBSD is on the move. It's
    my favorite O/S.

    btb

  7. Re: Help with cclient

    On Feb 1, 3:36 pm, "Brent Bolin" wrote:
    > On Feb 1, 10:01 am, Warren Block wrote:
    >
    > > Brent Bolin wrote:

    > > > You are correct...I'm a dummy.

    > > No, it's easy to miss. Most things now don't use inetd because of the
    > > security implications. That can probably be done with cclient.

    > > --
    > > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    > There a number of things that have changed since my last load (5.4)
    >
    > Entire /usr/local/etc/rd.d is different... no more package.sh
    >
    > Anyway thanks for your reply. Good to know FBSD is on the move. It's
    > my favorite O/S.
    >
    > btb

    I'm still confused about current FBSD startup after reading the
    handbook. As noted above packages that were installed in previous
    releases were installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d with package.sh.sample

    The file had to be renamed to package.sh and /etc/rc.conf edited to
    start it.

    I installed the mailscanner package. But I didn't let the system
    start it on a normal boot. I started it manually.

    I'm not in front of the system right now, but I don't think it was
    installed as package.sh

    Is this still the procedure with FBSD 6.2 ?

  8. Re: Help with cclient

    Brent Bolin wrote:

    > I'm still confused about current FBSD startup after reading the
    > handbook. As noted above packages that were installed in previous
    > releases were installed in /usr/local/etc/rc.d with package.sh.sample
    >
    > The file had to be renamed to package.sh and /etc/rc.conf edited to
    > start it.
    >
    > I installed the mailscanner package. But I didn't let the system
    > start it on a normal boot. I started it manually.
    >
    > I'm not in front of the system right now, but I don't think it was
    > installed as package.sh
    >
    > Is this still the procedure with FBSD 6.2 ?

    Application startup scripts still go in /usr/local/etc/rc.d, but they
    don't have to end in .sh any more.