Software management via KDE - BSD

This is a discussion on Software management via KDE - BSD ; Is there any way to manage FreeBSD ports via KDE? In particular I would like to set up and configure SAMBA, which I'm not at all familar with, via a GUI. Any advice appreciated....

  1. Software management via KDE

    Is there any way to manage FreeBSD ports via KDE?

    In particular I would like to set up and configure SAMBA, which I'm not at
    all familar with, via a GUI.

    Any advice appreciated.

  2. Re: Software management via KDE

    I know this is not the advice you want, but you did say that you appreciated
    any advice, so here goes...

    In my opinion, using ports is much easier on the command line. It's designed
    to be used that way, and the best utilities I've used for managing ports were
    just CLI scripts.

    Even after installing Samba, you will still have to take some additional steps
    to get it working--ports won't handle this automatically for you. That means
    you're going to have to get your hands dirty no matter what.

    Ben

    On 2007-01-29, jp wrote:
    > Is there any way to manage FreeBSD ports via KDE?
    >
    > In particular I would like to set up and configure SAMBA, which I'm not at
    > all familar with, via a GUI.
    >
    > Any advice appreciated.

  3. Re: Software management via KDE

    jp wrote:
    > Is there any way to manage FreeBSD ports via KDE?

    Don't know; don't care - KDE is frivolous bloatware IMHO. The package
    management system in FreeBSD has been carefully tuned to work nicely
    from the console.

    > In particular I would like to set up and configure SAMBA, which I'm not at
    > all familar with, via a GUI.

    In the particular case you're discussing there is no need for GUI
    anyway.

    Open a terminal window:

    $ su
    # cd /usr/ports/net/samba3
    # make menuconfig && make && make install

    will give you a text-mode menu to configure the package, then build and
    install it.

    Samba builds nice and cleanly from the ports collection; it comes with a
    web-based admin tool called SWAT that installs itself on port 901 which
    lets you set the system up from your browser as you please.

    pete
    --
    pete@fenelon.com "it made about as much sense as a polythene sandwich"

  4. Re: Software management via KDE

    There is a Samba configuration tool in KDE Control Center, under
    "Internet and Networking". I have never tried
    to use it, but I guess that it works.

    DG

+ Reply to Thread