(nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus - BSD

This is a discussion on (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus - BSD ; Hi Group! I finally got a narrow broadband, and am trying to install that way in stead of getting a DVD. After trying v 6.0 and 6.1 it feels like FBSD is a fine OS to get to know better. ...

  1. (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus

    Hi Group!

    I finally got a narrow broadband, and am trying to install that way in
    stead of getting a DVD.
    After trying v 6.0 and 6.1 it feels like FBSD is a fine OS to get to
    know better. But now vith 6.2 on CDs I have it working, sort of,
    scanning, printing and surfing comes OK. But I am stuck on something a
    miss with Gnome. When leaving Gnome and scrolling up I can see this:

    (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jan 26 22:13:51 2007
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
    SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost:/tmp/.ICE-unix/931
    Initializing gnome-mount extension

    ** (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus:
    org.freedesktop.DBu
    s.Error.FileNotFound : Failed to connect to socket
    /var/run/dbus/dbus.pipe: No s
    uch file or directory

    ** (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Could not initialize hal context

    (nautilus:957): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion
    `G_TYPE_IS_OBJ
    ECT (object_type)' failed

    (nautilus:957): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_weak_ref: assertion
    `G_IS_OBJ
    ECT (object)' failed

    And I am totally at a loss at where to start looking, or for what.

    Hopefully some one have a tip for a stuck geezer, and mostly newbie.

    K. Melland
    Norway

  2. Re: (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus

    On 27 Jan 2007 01:12:34 -0800
    "KdG" wrote:

    > ** (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus:
    > org.freedesktop.DBu
    > s.Error.FileNotFound : Failed to connect to socket
    > /var/run/dbus/dbus.pipe: No s
    > uch file or directory

    You have to start the dbus daemon. The start script is:

    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus

    The entry for /etc/rc.conf is:

    dbus_enable="YES"

    Best regards,

    Stefan

  3. Re: (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus

    Thanks Stefan!

    >You have to start the dbus daemon. The start script is:
    >
    > /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus
    >
    > The entry for /etc/rc.conf is:
    >
    > dbus_enable="YES"

    I tried this, but there seems to be more awray here. Perhaps a new
    install after more RTFM is the best solution. I know so little really,
    the installs with the Lehmanns DVDs came by it self on another
    machine. How much thought do I put in 'net' things? Now I just have
    host="localhost" and re0="DHCP". For internet the gateway evidently
    looks after the rest.

    When looking at the boot messages I see some bad and some good:
    Starting usbd.
    Starting dbus.
    Unknown username "haldeamon" in message bus configuration file
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Start
    xauth: creating new auth.file ...
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):2: unknown command
    "8892dd5a41ec9c06d837f4995d9b75c4" ...

    Nah, new install I guess (tomorrow).

    Thanks for thoughts!

    K. Melland

  4. Re: (nautilus:957): WARNING **: Cannot connect to system bus

    KdG wrote:
    > Starting usbd.
    > Starting dbus.
    > Unknown username "haldeamon" in message bus configuration file

    Perhaps you need to adduser haldaemon and then it will work?

    --

    Michel TALON

  5. Re: (nautilus:xxxx): WARNING **:

    Thanks Michael!

    It came further and logged in without error mesg.

    >Perhaps you need to adduser haldaemon and then it will work?

    Now this:

    # startx
    xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.1050
    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth: (stdin):2: unknown command
    "8892dd5a41ec9c06d837f4995d9b75c4"
    ..
    (Ordinary messgs).
    ..
    SESSION_MANAGER=local/localhost:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1076
    Initializing gnome-mount extension

    ** (nautilus:1102): WARNING **: Failed to initialize libhal context:
    (null) : (n
    ull)

    ** (nautilus:1102): WARNING **: Could not initialize hal context

    I am still clueless. When installing the Gnome2 meta port, all this
    should be in place, Non?

    K. Melland
    Norway

  6. Re: (nautilus:xxxx): WARNING **:

    KdG wrote:
    > Thanks Michael!
    >
    > It came further and logged in without error mesg.
    >
    > >Perhaps you need to adduser haldaemon and then it will work?
    > >

    > Now this:

    In fact i have just played with that today, and, frankly, dbus, hald,
    etc. don't work for me either. But at least when i installed the dbus
    and hal port, users and groups, were added automatically.
    I have this: passwd
    messagebus:*:556:556-BUS Daemon User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
    polkit:*:559:559:PolicyKit Daemon User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
    haldaemon:*:560:560:HAL Daemon User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
    and group
    messagebus:*:556:
    polkit:*:559:
    haldaemon:*:560:
    Since i don't know where these guys log their activity i am quite unable
    to debug what is going on. Anyways, hal is supposed to automount things,
    and this is non trivial in FreeBSD. One needs to have vfs.usermount=1
    and the mount point belonging to the guy running mount. I have tried to
    chown haldaemon /cdrom , but without success.

    --

    Michel TALON

  7. Re: (nautilus:xxxx): WARNING **:

    On Jan 29, 12:03 am, t...@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel Talon) wrote:
    > Now this:In fact i have just played with that today, and, frankly,

    dbus, hald,
    > etc. don't work for me either. But at least when i installed the dbus
    > and hal port, users and groups, were added automatically.
    > I have this: passwd
    > messagebus:*:556:556-BUS Daemon User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
    > polkit:*:559:559:PolicyKit Daemon User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
    > haldaemon:*:560:560:HAL Daemon User:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin
    > and group
    > messagebus:*:556:
    > polkit:*:559:
    > haldaemon:*:560:
    > Since i don't know where these guys log their activity i am quite unable
    > to debug what is going on. Anyways, hal is supposed to automount things,
    > and this is non trivial in FreeBSD. One needs to have vfs.usermount=1
    > and the mount point belonging to the guy running mount. I have tried to
    > chown haldaemon /cdrom , but without success.

    Thanks for showing this Michel!

    I see somthing exactly the same and some different. But I'm no the
    wiser. Hal should make use of media easier, it does not for me. I'll
    just play around for a while, may be having another install from
    scratch later. Mucking around may give some more insight, not too much
    of that at the moment.

    If you discover something I'd be glad to hear about it.

    K. Melland
    Norway

+ Reply to Thread