Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD - BSD ; Hi Everyone, There is a tool on Debian Linux, called fcheck(1) which helps detecting file changes. I am sure I have came accross a similar tool on FreeBSD lately, perhaps in ports/security or read about it on on-lamp, but now ...

  1. Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD

    Hi Everyone,

    There is a tool on Debian Linux, called fcheck(1) which helps detecting
    file changes. I am sure I have came accross a similar tool on FreeBSD
    lately, perhaps in ports/security or read about it on on-lamp, but now I
    am unable to locate it.

    If somebody can point me to the FreeBSD counterpart of Debian's fcheck,
    please do so!

    Here is what "man fcheck" says on Debian:
    Overview
    The fcheck utility is an IDS (Intrusion Detection System) which can be
    used to monitor changes to any given filesystem.

    Essentially, fcheck has the ability to monitor directories, files or
    complete filesystems for any additions, deletions, and modifications.
    It is configurable to exclude active log files, and can be ran as often
    as needed from the command line or cron making it extremely difficult
    to circumvent.

    Operation and Getting Started

    Flag passing is a fairly simple process. Primarily you will be using
    two commands. One builds (or rebuilds) your baseline database files
    (system snapshots). The second runs in a scanning comparison mode.

    "fcheck -ac"

    Builds the baseline database.

    "fcheck -a"

    Comparison scans the system against the baseline database.

    For normal operation: Initially you will run fcheck by issuing the com-
    mand "fcheck -ac" to create the initial baseline file used for compari-
    son. Any runs after the creation of the basline will normally be with
    the following flags "fcheck "-a"" to scan for any system modifications.

    After a scan is completed, you will probably want to have fcheck re-
    create its baseline database for the next comparison cycle. Otherwise
    you will be seeing every system modification since the last baseline
    re-build. In other words, run the "fcheck -ac" command again.

    (Advanced Note A more intensive system check would be accomplished by
    building your database to include GID/UID checks, directories, and CRC
    checks by using the following sample syntax:

    "fcheck -cadsxlf /etc/fcheck/fcheck.cfg"

    And provide periodic integrity scans from cron by using the following
    sample syntax:

    "fcheck -adsxlf /etc/fcheck/fcheck.cfg"

    Regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)duf(dot)hu

  2. Re: Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD

    Keve Nagy wrote:
    > There is a tool on Debian Linux, called fcheck(1) which helps detecting
    > file changes. I am sure I have came accross a similar tool on FreeBSD
    > lately, perhaps in ports/security or read about it on on-lamp, but now I
    > am unable to locate it.

    Well, what about the old-time-classic 'tripwire'?

    cu
    Clemens.
    --
    /"\ http://czauner.onlineloop.com/
    \ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN

  3. Re: Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD

    Clemens Zauner writes:

    > Keve Nagy wrote:
    >> There is a tool on Debian Linux, called fcheck(1) which helps detecting
    >> file changes. I am sure I have came accross a similar tool on FreeBSD
    >> lately, perhaps in ports/security or read about it on on-lamp, but now I
    >> am unable to locate it.

    > Well, what about the old-time-classic 'tripwire'?

    That's probably better for the security purpose, but mtree(8) from the
    base system might get closer to the same functionality.

  4. Re: Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD

    In article <51rrpsF1lspbsU1@mid.individual.net>,
    Keve Nagy wrote:
    >Hi Everyone,
    >
    >There is a tool on Debian Linux, called fcheck(1) which helps detecting
    >file changes. I am sure I have came accross a similar tool on FreeBSD
    >lately, perhaps in ports/security or read about it on on-lamp, but now I
    >am unable to locate it.
    >
    >If somebody can point me to the FreeBSD counterpart of Debian's fcheck,
    >please do so!

    tripwire?

    Mike Squires

  5. Re: Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD

    In article ,
    Michael L. Squires wrote:
    >In article <51rrpsF1lspbsU1@mid.individual.net>,
    >Keve Nagy wrote:
    >>Hi Everyone,
    >>
    >>There is a tool on Debian Linux, called fcheck(1) which helps detecting
    >>file changes. I am sure I have came accross a similar tool on FreeBSD
    >>lately, perhaps in ports/security or read about it on on-lamp, but now I
    >>am unable to locate it.
    >>
    >>If somebody can point me to the FreeBSD counterpart of Debian's fcheck,
    >>please do so!
    >>

    >tripwire?
    >
    >Mike Squires

    How about 'fam' - file alteration monitor. It's in the ports.
    It originally came from SGI.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  6. Re: Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    > How about 'fam' - file alteration monitor. It's in the ports.
    > It originally came from SGI.

    By the way recent versions of FreeBSD KDE and Gnome ports don't use fam
    anymore which had resource problems, and use the more recent gamin
    program
    http://www.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/
    which appears in ps aux as gam_server.

    --

    Michel TALON

  7. Re: Debian's fcheck on FreeBSD

    Good Evening Newsgroup,
    Many thanks to everybody who replied!

    I am confident that the FreeBSD tool I came accross recently was mtree, as
    suggested by Lowell Gilbert (Thanks!).
    Now however, in the lights of the tripwire recommendations I can try both
    of them and see which one I find more suitable for my needs.

    Thanks very much again!
    Your help is indeed appreciated.

    Best regards,
    Keve