Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!! - BSD

This is a discussion on Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!! - BSD ; In doing some housekeeping on an old HP notebook (omni 4150), I decided to put both Ubuntu and FreeBSD on the 12G hard drive just for giggles. I installed Ubuntu first, and placed it at the "End" of the disk, ...

  1. Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!!

    In doing some housekeeping on an old HP notebook (omni 4150), I decided to
    put both Ubuntu and FreeBSD on the 12G hard drive just for giggles. I
    installed Ubuntu first, and placed it at the "End" of the disk, where it
    created for itself (of all things) a DOS (5) Logical partition, and hid
    itself accordingly. I then installed FreeBSD, and upon reboot, BootEasy
    (boot0) did not recognize that Ubuntu was safely tucked away in the
    Logical partition, and only gave me the option to boot FreeBSD.

    Partition info is:

    # fdisk -sv
    /dev/ad0 24951 cyl 15 hd 63 sec
    Part Start Size Type Flags
    1: 63 11261502 0xa5 0x80
    2: 11261565 12305790 0x05 0x00

    I tried to make the 2nd partition bootable with

    boot0cfg -m 0x3 ad0

    but alas, no joy. Any suggestions???

  2. Re: Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!!

    > but alas, no joy. Any suggestions???

    I can't help you with booteasy, but, until you figure it out, use 'gag'
    boot manager.
    I use it all the time.

    DG

  3. Re: Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!!

    Drazen Gemic wrote:

    >> but alas, no joy. Any suggestions???
    >>

    > I can't help you with booteasy, but, until you figure it out, use 'gag'
    > boot manager.
    > I use it all the time.
    >
    > DG

    Either that or grub. IIRC booteasy will not boot what dos calls
    an "extended" partition.

    -Jason

  4. Re: Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!!

    spam@controlq.com wrote:

    > In doing some housekeeping on an old HP notebook (omni 4150), I decided to
    > put both Ubuntu and FreeBSD on the 12G hard drive just for giggles. I
    > installed Ubuntu first, and placed it at the "End" of the disk, where it
    > created for itself (of all things) a DOS (5) Logical partition, and hid
    > itself accordingly. I then installed FreeBSD, and upon reboot, BootEasy
    > (boot0) did not recognize that Ubuntu was safely tucked away in the
    > Logical partition, and only gave me the option to boot FreeBSD.
    >
    > Partition info is:
    >
    > # fdisk -sv
    > /dev/ad0 24951 cyl 15 hd 63 sec
    > Part Start Size Type Flags
    > 1: 63 11261502 0xa5 0x80
    > 2: 11261565 12305790 0x05 0x00
    >
    > I tried to make the 2nd partition bootable with
    >
    > boot0cfg -m 0x3 ad0
    >
    > but alas, no joy. Any suggestions???

    Yes, you need to use grub, either installed on the MBR to boot
    evrything, or installed on the extended partition so that booteasy will
    control transfer to it. Note that booteasy will never see logical
    partitions inside an extended partition, it may at most see the
    extended partition.

    --

    Michel TALON

  5. Re: Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!!

    Michel, Jason, Drazen -- thanks for the replies.

    I was wondering if the Extended partition could be re-labelled as a
    primary DOS partition, and then booteasy would recognize the 2nd slice??

    I'll look towards installing other boot managers in the meanwhile

    Cheers,
    Rob.

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Michel Talon wrote:

    > Yes, you need to use grub, either installed on the MBR to boot
    > evrything, or installed on the extended partition so that booteasy will
    > control transfer to it. Note that booteasy will never see logical
    > partitions inside an extended partition, it may at most see the
    > extended partition.

  6. Re: Dual boot FreeBSD 6.2-R and Ubuntu 6.06 ... Help!!

    On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, spam@controlq.com wrote:

    > Michel, Jason, Drazen -- thanks for the replies.
    >
    > I was wondering if the Extended partition could be re-labelled as a primary
    > DOS partition, and then booteasy would recognize the 2nd slice??
    >
    > I'll look towards installing other boot managers in the meanwhile
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob.

    Actually, GAG is very nice, and I found the following for re-installing
    LILO on the extended partition using the Ubuntu install disk, so I'm well
    on my way. Thanks again for all the input, gentlemen!!!

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p12.htm

    Cheers,
    Rob.