kpackage - BSD

This is a discussion on kpackage - BSD ; Is there anyone who got kpackage for KDE working on FreeBSD ? I run kpackage after sudo-ing to root. When I try to uninstall something I get an error: su: unknown login: /bin/sh I have set /bin/sh as root shell, ...

  1. kpackage

    Is there anyone who got kpackage for KDE working on FreeBSD ? I run
    kpackage after sudo-ing to root. When I try to uninstall something I
    get an error:

    su: unknown login: /bin/sh

    I have set /bin/sh as root shell, indeed, that's far I understand......

    DG

  2. Re: kpackage

    In article 1169521037.759631.207760@v45g2000cwv.googlegroups. com, dated
    Mon, 22 Jan 2007 18:57:17 -0800, "Drazen Gemic"
    wrote:

    > Is there anyone who got kpackage for KDE working on FreeBSD ? I run
    > kpackage after sudo-ing to root. When I try to uninstall something I
    > get an error:
    >
    > su: unknown login: /bin/sh
    >
    > I have set /bin/sh as root shell, indeed, that's far I understand......

    There shouldn't be any need to su(do) *before* running kpackage; the
    program will prompt you for the root password as needed.

    Can you login as root normally? Are you sure there's no problem with the
    /etc/passwd info for root? It looks like maybe you have the name of the
    shell where the username should be in the passwd file, or some other such
    weirdness.

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier
    "In Unix veritas"

  3. Re: kpackage

    Drazen Gemic wrote:

    > Is there anyone who got kpackage for KDE working on FreeBSD ? I run
    > kpackage after sudo-ing to root. When I try to uninstall something I
    > get an error:
    >
    > su: unknown login: /bin/sh
    >
    > I have set /bin/sh as root shell, indeed, that's far I understand......
    >
    > DG

    Fix your root account back to what it was, as per Conrad's suggestion, and
    leave it alone. Add your user to the wheel group to enable su for that
    account. If you need to run a graphical KDE program under root use kdesu,
    ie., kdesu kpackage. It will then pop up an auth box. However, I don't
    think you need this with kpackage as it will ask you for when it thinks it
    needs it.

    Although you may use sudo with FreeBSD, it is not necessary and rather
    appears more to be a "Linuxism". Me, I think you should be using the
    FreeBSD ports or package system to install software. The time or two I've
    looked at kpackage it seemed more debian/linux packaging related and not
    the correct choice for FreeBSD. [IMHO, YMMV, and all the other standard
    disclaimers :-) ]

    -Jason

  4. Re: kpackage

    > Can you login as root normally?

    Yes.

    > Are you sure there's no problem with the
    > /etc/passwd info for root? It looks like maybe you have the name of the
    > shell where the username should be in the passwd file, or some other such
    > weirdness.

    I used chpass, it is supposed to do that right, I guess.

    DG

  5. Re: kpackage

    > > DGFix your root account back to what it was, as per Conrad's suggestion, and

    > leave it alone.

    Do you think that csh has something with that ? Maybe, scripts are not
    comapatibile....

    > Add your user to the wheel group to enable su for that
    > account.

    I am not particulary happy to run KDE under someone who is in
    wheel.....

    > If you need to run a graphical KDE program under root use kdesu,
    > ie., kdesu kpackage. It will then pop up an auth box. However, I don't
    > think you need this with kpackage as it will ask you for when it thinks it
    > needs it.

    I'll try...

    > Although you may use sudo with FreeBSD, it is not necessary and rather
    > appears more to be a "Linuxism". Me, I think you should be using the
    > FreeBSD ports or package system to install software.

    As I understand, that is what Kpackage does. It is only a frontend.
    All packages, so far, were installed with pkg_add or as ports. I have
    just discovered KPackage, and I am curious to se how it works. I think
    that products like KDE are way to go, because they offer the same
    interface
    on any platform.

    > The time or two I've
    > looked at kpackage it seemed more debian/linux packaging related and not
    > the correct choice for FreeBSD. [IMHO, YMMV, and all the other standard
    > disclaimers :-) ]

    Well, it is able to list all installed FreeBSD packages, sorted into
    categories, so far.
    I am not fond of "Debian/Linux and Sons Inc.", not at all.

    DG

  6. Re: kpackage

    I've managed with 'sudo kpackage'.

    Kpackage is very basic. I don't see any advanced pkg options. The good
    thing is a nice, tidy view of installed
    packages. Anyway, crossplatform packaging frontend is an interesting
    concept.

    DG

+ Reply to Thread