Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix? - BSD

This is a discussion on Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix? - BSD ; I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix. Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system? I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I assume I only need the ...

  1. Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix.
    Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system?
    I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I
    assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not
    the BootOnly CD image. I am downloading the Docs CD image too...
    I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5)
    before switching over to Red Hat Linux. Is BSD similar to SCO?
    Thank you in advance for your answers!

  2. Re: Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    Stang1 wrote:
    : I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix.
    : Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system?
    ;
    Highly unlikely. Were the compiled for i386? Other problems
    you are likely to find is a.out is no longer standard, ELF is.
    However, I believe if you install the FREEBSD3X compatibility
    suite, a.out will run.

    Now, if you were to rebuild from source, the make will
    likely work with little fuss. And the APIs are probably still
    close enough to get past the compiler.
    :
    : I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I
    : assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not
    : the BootOnly CD image.
    ;
    You will need to boot CD, plus disk1. The boot CD should be
    self-explanitory, the disk1 CD will contain the stuff you
    selected.
    :
    : I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5)
    : before switching over to Red Hat Linux. Is BSD similar to SCO?
    :
    Which SCO is that? Unixware, or pre-unixware?

    Anyway, the answer is "perhaps not". It depends on how much
    "open group" contamination you are used to. FBSD is close to
    how BSD used to work, hence the name. Unixware is based on
    ATT Unix, which is what Linux tends to model after. Sorta. :-)

    Bruce
    "I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
    - Thuganlitha
    The Power and the Prophet
    Robert Don Hughes

  3. Re: Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    On 20 Jan 2007 20:05:32 -0800, "Stang1" wrote:
    > I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix.
    > Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system?

    Depending on what you mean by "BSD Unix", I doubt they would work.

    The main reason for this is that the original "BSD" was a set of add-ons
    for systems running on hardware platforms which were *very* different
    from today's x86 hardware.

    > I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I
    > assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not
    > the BootOnly CD image. I am downloading the Docs CD image too...

    You assume correctly. For a very `basic' installation of the FreeBSD
    operating system, you only needs parts of `disc1.iso'.

    Before trying to install FreeBSD, please make sure you read the
    relevenant chapter of the ``FreeBSD Handbook'', from:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...k/install.html

    > I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5)
    > before switching over to Red Hat Linux. Is BSD similar to SCO?

    In some ways, yes. It's still a Unix-like system. The usual stuff that
    can commonly be found on a UNIX system, exist in both SCO and FreeBSD.

    There are many differences too, though. The location of configuration
    files, the availability or not of certain parts, the configuration
    options available, etc.

    The one *most* *imporant* difference though is thet FreeBSD is ``free
    software'': software that both allows you to download a fully working,
    complete, usable system gratis, at no cost, *and* gives you the freedom
    to study, modify, adopt, extend and redistribute the resulting system.
    This is not something you can do with SCO UNIX, but you can certainly
    expect to be available when you work with FreeBSD.

    Have fun with your FreeBSD installation, and if you have any questions
    about the system, please don't hesitate too post either to this
    newsgroup or to the freebsd-questions@freebsd.org mailing list; the
    general FreeBSD questions list.

    - Giorgos

  4. Re: Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    Stang1 wrote:
    > I have some old binaries which were developed years ago on BSD Unix.
    > Should these still work, as is, on the FreeBSD system?
    > I am starting to download the latest version of FreeBSD now. I
    > assume I only need the Disc1 and Disc2 CD images to install it, and not
    > the BootOnly CD image. I am downloading the Docs CD image too...
    > I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5)
    > before switching over to Red Hat Linux. Is BSD similar to SCO?
    > Thank you in advance for your answers!

    Disc1 is sufficient to install base system, plus Xwindow in most basic
    form. Disc2 has some packages, essentially everything to install either
    KDE or Gnome plus some goodies, such as various shells, vim, etc. It may
    be that you don't need disc2 at all for your needs
    All others are useless, except special needs.

    --

    Michel TALON

  5. Re: Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    "Bruce Burden" wrote in message
    > Stang1 wrote:

    > : I used to be an administrator for SCO UNIX (ver 5.0.4 and 5.0.5)
    > : before switching over to Red Hat Linux. Is BSD similar to SCO?
    > :
    > Which SCO is that? Unixware, or pre-unixware?

    The version numbers indicate this is SCO's original Unix,
    which developed from their earlier Xenix product.
    Unixware was a later acquisition.

    I used the same OpenServer as a platform for
    BBx business software, I moved to Linux
    with the iBCS2 package for binary compatibility.

    KA

  6. Re: Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    karel wrote:

    > The version numbers indicate this is SCO's original Unix,
    > which developed from their earlier Xenix product.
    > Unixware was a later acquisition.
    >
    > I used the same OpenServer as a platform for
    > BBx business software, I moved to Linux
    > with the iBCS2 package for binary compatibility.
    >
    > KA

    Yes, right! And I also worked with BASIS BBx on it... BASIC Pro 5 to
    be exact.

  7. Re: Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    I finally got around to installing FreeBSD. My binaries do use
    a.out. Please tell me where I can get the "FREEBSD3X compatibility
    suite".
    Thank you!

  8. Re: Is FreeBSD backwards-compatible with the old BSD Unix?

    On 12 Feb 2007 01:47:26 -0800, "Stang1" wrote:
    > I finally got around to installing FreeBSD. My binaries do use a.out.
    > Please tell me where I can get the "FREEBSD3X compatibility suite".

    In the `Ports Collection':

    root@kobe:/usr/ports# ls -ld */compat*x
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel - 512 Jan 28 19:38 misc/compat3x
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel - 512 Jan 28 19:38 misc/compat4x
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel - 512 Jan 28 19:38 misc/compat5x
    root@kobe:/usr/ports#

    If you are not already familiar with the Ports Collection, the Handbook
    will be a very useful read:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/ports.html

    - Giorgos

+ Reply to Thread