low performance - BSD

This is a discussion on low performance - BSD ; Hi, I have FreeBSD 6.1 and Debian testing in same machine. In both of debian and freebsd, I tried CPU scaling and set frequency to 700Mhz. In this low frequency, the performance of FreeBSD is lower than debian. For example: ...

  1. low performance

    Hi,

    I have FreeBSD 6.1 and Debian testing in same machine. In both of
    debian and freebsd, I tried CPU scaling and set frequency to 700Mhz. In
    this low frequency, the performance of FreeBSD is lower than debian.
    For example: While I'm listening a mp3 in totem, in FreeBSD music has
    discontinuance (interruption) especially when moving the totem window.
    But in debian this is no problem. I'm sure that governor is userspace
    (frequency doesn't increase automatically). Both systems run gnome. In
    debian linux, more processes are running.

    What is the reason for that? How can I make the performance better? I'm
    a FreeBSD newbie and maybe I'm mistaken somewhere.

    I have Pentium4 2.8Ghz and 1GB ram.

    Alp

  2. Re: low performance

    Some apps work better in FreeBSD, other in Linux. For example, Xine is
    better on Linux, and Ogle is better on FreeBSD. They say that Postgress
    runs best on FreeBSD, I can't say. It seems that OpenOffice is more
    responsive on FreeBSD.

    There are differences among Linux distributions, too. You will probably
    find convenient to change tools and apps for some jobs and tasks.

    DG

+ Reply to Thread