Mounting Ext3? - BSD

This is a discussion on Mounting Ext3? - BSD ; Is It possible to mount Ext3 (rw) under FreeBSD (6.2) ? Best regards!...

  1. Mounting Ext3?

    Is It possible to mount Ext3 (rw) under FreeBSD (6.2) ?

    Best regards!

  2. Re: Mounting Ext3?

    On Jan 18, 12:41 pm, "gerolf.ziegenh...@googlemail.com"
    wrote:
    > Is It possible to mount Ext3 (rw) under FreeBSD (6.2) ?
    >
    > Best regards!

    I had a problem with mounting ext3, because I needed to fsck ext3
    partitions just before shutting down Linux. Otherwise
    mount complained something like fs on ext3 partition is corrupted.

    DG

  3. Re: Mounting Ext3?

    What about ext2? Propably FreeBSD only supports ext2, so the journaling
    of ext3 makes the trouble?

    Best regards!

  4. Re: Mounting Ext3?

    gerolf.ziegenhain@googlemail.com wrote:
    > What about ext2? Propably FreeBSD only supports ext2, so the journaling
    > of ext3 makes the trouble?

    There is support for ext2 in the FreeBSD source tree. Note that linking it
    with your kernel will infect it with the GPL, however. Additionally, last
    time I checked, I think the write support was still considered harmful.

    Your mileage may vary.

    Having said that: FreeBSD comes with an excellent filesystem called UFS, which
    is 100% supported and very functional. Why do you need ext2?

    - Philip

    --
    Philip Paeps Please don't email any replies
    philip@paeps.cx I follow the newsgroup.

    THEOREM: VI is perfect.
    PROOF: VI in roman numerals is 6. The natural numbers < 6 which divide 6 are
    1, 2, and 3. 1+2+3 = 6. So 6 is a perfect number. Therefore, VI is perfect.
    QED
    % Arthur Tateishi

  5. Re: Mounting Ext3?

    gerolf.ziegenhain@googlemail.com wrote:
    > Is It possible to mount Ext3 (rw) under FreeBSD (6.2) ?

    Since ext3 is just ext2 with a journal file, yes (My system has some
    legacy partitions on when I recycled a data disc from a Linux system!)

    $ mount
    /dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
    /dev/ad0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/ad1s1 on /big (ufs, local)
    /dev/ad3s3 on /fs3 (ext2fs, local)
    /dev/ad3s4 on /fs4 (ext2fs, local)
    /dev/ad3s1 on /export (ufs, NFS exported, local)
    procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
    //PETE@NAS1/NAS on /nas (smbfs)
    devfs on /var/named/dev (devfs, local)

    pete
    --
    pete@fenelon.com "it made about as much sense as a polythene sandwich"

  6. Re: Mounting Ext3?

    On 2007-01-18, Philip Paeps wrote:
    > gerolf.ziegenhain@googlemail.com wrote:
    >> What about ext2? Propably FreeBSD only supports ext2, so the journaling
    >> of ext3 makes the trouble?

    > There is support for ext2 in the FreeBSD source tree. Note that linking it
    > with your kernel will infect it with the GPL, however. Additionally, last
    > time I checked, I think the write support was still considered harmful.
    >
    > Your mileage may vary.
    >
    > Having said that: FreeBSD comes with an excellent filesystem called UFS, which
    > is 100% supported and very functional. Why do you need ext2?

    He might have to mount Linux partition that side by side on the disk,
    or move data from a delinuxulated server. There are plenty of possible
    reasonings.

    --
    Piotr Smyrak

+ Reply to Thread