Upgrading to 6.2 - BSD

This is a discussion on Upgrading to 6.2 - BSD ; Can anyone suggest how to upgrade and existing FreeBSD installation from 6.1 to 6.2? I have followed an upgrade script mentioned here http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006...y-upgrade.html which upgrades the kernel, but I'm not clear about how to upgrade all the insytalled software including ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Upgrading to 6.2

  1. Upgrading to 6.2

    Can anyone suggest how to upgrade and existing FreeBSD installation from 6.1
    to 6.2?

    I have followed an upgrade script mentioned here

    http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006...y-upgrade.html

    which upgrades the kernel, but I'm not clear about how to upgrade all the
    insytalled software including the likes of KDE and can't find any
    instructions on how to bring everything up to date.

  2. Re: Upgrading to 6.2

    jp (jp@home) wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest how to upgrade and existing FreeBSD installation from
    > 6.1 to 6.2?
    >
    > I have followed an upgrade script mentioned here
    >
    > http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006...2-binary-upgra
    > de.html
    >
    > which upgrades the kernel, but I'm not clear about how to upgrade all the
    > insytalled software including the likes of KDE and can't find any
    > instructions on how to bring everything up to date.


    Use portupgrade from the ports.

    Helmut

    --
    Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well


  3. Re: Upgrading to 6.2

    On 2007-01-17, jp wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest how to upgrade and existing FreeBSD installation from 6.1
    > to 6.2?
    >
    > I have followed an upgrade script mentioned here
    >
    > http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006...y-upgrade.html
    >
    > which upgrades the kernel, but I'm not clear about how to upgrade all the
    > insytalled software including the likes of KDE and can't find any
    > instructions on how to bring everything up to date.


    portupgrade -fa or -faP if you want to use the precompiled packages to
    save time.

    kris


  4. Re: Upgrading to 6.2

    Helmut Schneider wrote:

    > jp (jp@home) wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone suggest how to upgrade and existing FreeBSD installation from
    >> 6.1 to 6.2?
    >>
    >> I have followed an upgrade script mentioned here
    >>
    >>

    http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006...2-binary-upgra
    >> de.html
    >>
    >> which upgrades the kernel, but I'm not clear about how to upgrade all the
    >> insytalled software including the likes of KDE and can't find any
    >> instructions on how to bring everything up to date.

    >
    > Use portupgrade from the ports.
    >
    > Helmut
    >



    Portupgrade has just finisheed running after a couple of days, but KDE has
    not been upgraded. Is there any way to tell why it has not been upgraded?

    I'm tempted, to re-install everything from scratch.

  5. Re: Upgrading to 6.2

    jp wrote:
    >
    > Portupgrade has just finisheed running after a couple of days, but KDE has
    > not been upgraded. Is there any way to tell why it has not been upgraded?
    >
    > I'm tempted, to re-install everything from scratch.


    Poor lonely soul! Reinstalling everything from scratch will take you ten
    times less than using portupgrade, and the result is far more
    deterministic.
    Before going to such extremities, you can perhaps get some interesting
    information by running the following (work in progress):
    http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~talon/analyze_pkg.py
    This is totally non destructive and without any risk.

    --

    Michel TALON


  6. Re: Upgrading to 6.2

    jp wrote:

    > Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> jp (jp@home) wrote:
    >>> Can anyone suggest how to upgrade and existing FreeBSD installation from
    >>> 6.1 to 6.2?
    >>> I have followed an upgrade script mentioned here

    > http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2006...2-binary-upgra
    >>> de.html
    >>> which upgrades the kernel, but I'm not clear about how to upgrade
    >>> all the insytalled software including the likes of KDE and can't
    >>> find any instructions on how to bring everything up to date.

    >> Use portupgrade from the ports.
    >> Helmut

    > Portupgrade has just finisheed running after a couple of days


    export
    PACKAGESITE=ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.2-release/All
    portupgrade -aPP

    HTH, Helmut


+ Reply to Thread